The online racing simulator
120mph+ in reverse gear???
(73 posts, started )
#27 - STF
Just a curiosity. How do you actually drive in reverse?

Using the mirrors, external view, custom camera. Or what?
/fcv ?
Hold the look back button
i use the mirror, the back button gets a bit tricky when you think left will do it but indeed it is a right thing
do you mean with just the suspension, just the gearing, both, or none?
Quote from logitekg25 :do you mean with just the suspension, just the gearing, both, or none?

That thing is too tiny! :P
And well both if possible? if its not too much hassle matey
you are probably right about the mirror, i will get right on them, cause i have nothing else better to do
Quote from logitekg25 :you are probably right about the mirror, i will get right on them, cause i have nothing else better to do

ah cheers dude!
There must be a way to toggle the back view button.. with Autohot key or something I'm sure
Quote from logitekg25 :i have those sets for you

:biggrinfl Thanks dude! ill give them a blast tomorrow its stupid o clock for me
uhhh whatever that means np! the XRT really handles great in reverse!! but fht FZ5 not so much you can mess around with the 1234 and 5 (6) gear ratios all you want
Well for reversing view i use the wheel mode and press R and go.........at first i use the 3rd person view and wait for it to look from the front of the car to the back, but later i found out it's hard to determine the actual slide angle (or generally speaking how the car is/is going to behave).

The mirrors are too small and you can't really see the lines or obstables fast enough, and that is dangerous in cruising servers with those barriers.

I have to admit it is very hard to get used to steering the car left by steering right (o_O) but once you get used to it, you will find that you can outrun police either way, and PIT movements are no longer a threat.

gonna try out logitekg25's sets........can't wait XD (I am not free now )
omfg!!!! i just realised that, pit maneuvers are very dangerous, but not to these setups

too bad i set the rear suspension very stiff so it will not tend to be so every slight steering move wil kill you lets say it will have a lot of oversteer

if it is too much just ask and i will do my best to make it good otherwise
It's 1:04pm local time and i am in Montana trying out your sets logitekg25
#40 - STF
Quote from Neoman15M :
I have to admit it is very hard to get used to steering the car left by steering right (o_O) but once you get used to it, you will find that you can outrun police either way, and PIT movements are no longer a threat.

Well, if it`s so difficult, you can always type /invert 1 steer (and 0 to return to normal).
That's also an idea, but when you have rozzers hot on your tail you simply won't have enough time to type the command before you get pitted to the barriers and LFS physics will then work their magic..........

One advantage of using the look back button is that you can always see what the rozzer is going to do or where he is..........one major disadvantage is when you let of of the button, you could accidentally steer the wrong way........

Update : Logitekg25's sets are quite good, though i am not quite used to the way his sets handle. XRT is really good, FZ5 is also good, but can be better.......but i noticed their acceleration is so much better than mine.........guess i compromised for better top speed.
i did a real quick setup, and i can ajust them all you want if you want you have until sunday...i am leaving for a week
Quote from logitekg25 :do you mean with just the suspension, just the gearing, both, or none?

I quickly tested it with my mouse and keyboard couldn't be bothered to get my wheel out, but from stand still then going into reverse burns the clutch like fire?
in order to get any speed at all in reverse, you need to go into forward, go into atleast second gear, recomended 3rd gear...just pull the handbrake for about a second while turning, get into reverse and you are off
yeah, exactly like logitekg25 had said.......just get some speed, and then pull the handbrake until you did a 180 and in reverse.......remember to straighten the steering at the moment your car is backwards, else it would just do a 360..........oh, and remember to turn off clutch help......that wears out the clutch in seconds........I am mouse user myself so i had to use "C" and clutch it myself, though when i say clutch, i mean kick.........you know when ppl failed to clutch properly and the car leaps forward? that's how i start (*].[*)

I am considering putting a tutorial here..........how do i record a video in LFS?
get the spr, fraps, xfire, or any other video recording thing...i recomend fraps, but you need to buy it...so just use xfire because it doubles as a instant messenger for gamers

if anybody has an xfire just add me as logitekg25
I am gonna try xfire........quite busy lately, and i don't know how to sub the vids, so i think i am just gonna make a tutorial of how to start the car first.........and post a lap of me driving flat out in reverse..........

I need more time >.<
haha take ur time...im going away for a week so you got time
Well since i won't be free in the quite near future, I think i shall put a small tutorial here.....in words.........

Tutorial 2: How to control the car

Now, as the car is now rolling backwards, any steering input would be reflected in an opposite and magnified way. This is due to that the inertia of the rear end of the car would focus on the rear wheels. In normal cases (going forward), the weight transfer to the rear is good as you have the front wheels dragging the car to change direction, resulting in a better steering stability. When reversing, the extra load on the rear steering wheels could easily overcome the tyre's grip and the car will experience oversteer.

Car Dynamics: (Warning, the following guide is only applicable to RWDs ONLY. FWDs are a totally different matter)
To control the car, besides steering left to go right, ANY STEERING HAS TO BE AS MINIMAL AS POSSIBLE. Any excessive lock would cause your car to spin. One common problem with any reversing sets (at least with mine) is that it would start to understeer a little half way through the corner (e.g. devil's corner/drifter's corner in TC Montana). You can cure this by giving it more lock PROGRESSIVELY or indeed give it more gas (usually what i do to catapult out of a corner) to transfer more weight for more grip. Not every situation can be countered by this technique but with the right speed, there shouldn't be the need to apply for brakes mid-way through a corner.

When offroading (etc grass/sand), pay extra attention to the difference of grip between tarmac and grass, it can greatly steer the car when accelerating. Give it a lot more lock when cornering on grass.

Pay attention to the engine layout of the chosen car for reversing. FRs have their engines up front so it is easier for them to overcome rear grip. MRs have quite perfect for the job, the RAC being most used by Mr. P and god he's quick through the corners ( we both agreed after so many races and cruises : top speed is not important. It's the fun and speed it can dish out in corners which matters.). RRs would be then FFs when going forward so its handling is likewise.

Here's an extra Tip: ALWAYS RESIST THE URGE TO GIVE IT OPPOSITE LOCK when the car starts to spin. After the rear has slid more than the point of no return, which is only a little more than normal steering angle, any opposite will not only NOT save you, but it would make you spin faster. Do a proper 180, drive forward, and do a 180 to reverse again.

FWDs handles like RWDs with no steering up front and soap as tyres in the back. The above guide does not apply. The sets are so dangerous and suicidal that i am not bothering to write a guide for it here, not because i am lazy (acutally i am :tilt but it's that no one is gonna make a set for FWDs anyway........

Hope this tutorial guide can help. Cheers

Black Rock Shooter
good guide

120mph+ in reverse gear???
(73 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG