The online racing simulator
#1 - Ori
Oval Only or IRL style League? [Split from KY 500 Race Discussion]
Actually wanted to wait with this until end of CART season but now the attention is better:

How about a purely oval series?

I don't understad why there has been none until now - or have i missed anything?

Here a vague concept:

- A series running only on oval(s). It needn't be oriented on any rl-example.
- Car(s): preferably open wheelers (FO8 obviously is the best choice).
- Schedule: example:
- 12.03: "Chicagoland"
- 28.04: "Indianapolis"
- 21.05: "Michigan"

- if desired: the schedule could include "special events", such as tracks with artificial layouts ("tunnels", ...), shoot-outs (e.g.: king of the ring), ...

The idea for this i had during the practice sessions. Why wait for an oval event when you can have as much as u like?
During the sessions some of us (me, for instant) were complainting about drivers not beeing familiar with oval racing. A series like this would be the best way for noobs to become familiar with it. What i am meaning is in the sessions you couldn't learn that much becaise it was all so hectic, short and not a real race. As we all saw the 500 were relatively different from the sessions.

With NDR proving to be relatively capable of organising such events and the attention of a considerable number of oval racers (among them some guys who not only are talented, but also willing to help) you have a base for such a series.
Quote from Ori :Actually wanted to wait with this until end of CART season but now the attention is better:

I don't understad why there has been none until now - or have i missed anything?

+1
French guys have L-ASCAR, don't they?
#4 - J@tko
/me wants more oval tracks then

Bristol, Talledega, Daytona and Texas please
Quote from J@tko :/me wants more oval tracks then

Bristol, Talledega, Daytona and Texas please

+1 here
Don't we all.

LFSers really have no idea what oval racing is about if they haven't tried another oval sim. Until there are more tracks, LFS oval racing is just dead and skill-less. The only car in LFS that would make for a good oval race is the FZ50 and XRT, IMO.

Quite frankly, LFS is too far behind iRacing for them to catch up. Therefore, I'll just stick to iRacing for my oval fix... We really like to run in these special events though.
In terms of an Oval series, I would welcome such a thing. Decent length races 100+ BF1, FO8, FZR/XRR and all sorts of others which never get used on ky1... let's do it.
How about something that isn't wide open? That would make the racing better IMO. Even the XRG can get pretty exciting when alot of people know what they are doing.

The reason I don't like something wide open is that it points out LFS' biggest physics flaw, aero.
Quote from PMD9409 :How about something that isn't wide open? That would make the racing better IMO. Even the XRG can get pretty exciting when alot of people know what they are doing.

The reason I don't like something wide open is that it points out LFS' biggest physics flaw, aero.

XRG would be awesome. Maybe a nationwide series to the XSCC?
Quote from Ori :Actually wanted to wait with this until end of CART season but now the attention is better:

Maybe someone(s) could organize test events with different cars? I know how most are, but I'd like to see how people handle a pack of XRGs or FZ5s. I remember being in a pack of 8-10 cars in XRG for about 5-8 races one night when messing around.
FPRS did a run thru all the cars once a week, 80 laps, was fun

You've missed this! 5 out of 8 races are Oval. 2 at KY1, 1 KY1R, and 2 short track Ovals.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=57976

Check it out.

There has actually been quite a few oval series. Its just that people either don't pay attention or the series is poorly advertised. Or sometimes ppl just aren't interested.

There was LFSCAR that was runned by FM. Falcon tried an xrt oval league: Kyoto Nights but no one was interested. Then I founded StormCup which turned into the XSCC and it's currently running now.

There was also Rising Star and L-ASCAR that just recently finished their season.

Just head over to XSCC its good fun . Also I hear there might be another gt oval league coming up so keep your eyes peeled
bump drafting in XRG would be fun.
ever tried UF1/KY1 its actually really close with bump drafting lol
Quote from hansonator69 :bump drafting in XRG would be fun.
ever tried UF1/KY1 its actually really close with bump drafting lol

There's a bug with a UF1 that prevents you from bumpdrafting. For some reason the bumpers literally get stuck together, resulting in a crash 95% of the time.
#19 - Ori
should have been more precise:

- a series running only on oval (needn't be based on IRL or smth like that)
- preferably open wheelers (FO8 obviously is the best choice)
- of course you must advertise it! otherwise the whole thing is pointless
- the schedule would be like this:
25.05: "chicagoland"
19.08: "indianapolis"
28.10: "michigan"

- with the 400 and 500 you already have the attention of some of the best oval racers, which seems to be a good base from which the series would start

@ndr: sorry for maltreating this thread guys
Quote from Ori :should have been more precise:

- a series running only on oval (needn't be based on IRL or smth like that)
- preferably open wheelers (FO8 obviously is the best choice)
- of course you must advertise it! otherwise the whole thing is pointless
- the schedule would be like this:
25.05: "chicagoland"
19.08: "indianapolis"
28.10: "michigan"

- with the 400 and 500 you already have the attention of some of the best oval racers, which seems to be a good base from which the series would start

@ndr: sorry for maltreating this thread guys

Ya, what you are asking is quite different lol. But an indycar league in LFS would be pretty cool IMO. You can potentially have 4 ovals.

1 - KY1
2 - KY1R
3 - AU Short track oval (Martinsville lyt)
4 - BL3 Short track oval (Another short oval lyt)

And possibly add 2-4 Road Courses. I vote:

1 - Aston North
2 - South City Chicane

Actually...that right there would make a very good Indy league Short track ovals with FO8 will be a riot
Quote from PMD9409 :There's a bug with a UF1 that prevents you from bumpdrafting. For some reason the bumpers literally get stuck together, resulting in a crash 95% of the time.

that happened occasionally but none of us ever crashed.
I have split this off from the Kyoto 500 Post-Race Discussion thread to keep my sanity.

:P

d
Quote from lizardfolk :
And possibly add 2-4 Road Courses. I vote:

1 - Aston North
2 - South City Chicane

Well, this reminds me LFSCART then
#24 - Ori
original post edited
anything will be good for me! ^_^'

Oval Only or IRL style League? [Split from KY 500 Race Discussion]
(38 posts, started )