The online racing simulator
Quote from G!NhO :Eh.....stiggie are you trying to say his Corvette sucks?

I'm not saying his mod sucks, i'm saying R-tractor sucks.
Out every single mod i've tried, besides maybe a few.. i never felt a connection to the car at all!
Well, not nearly as good as in LFS. The whole of the physics just feel wrong in Rfactor imho. So please don't take this personal Niels.
That's why i reacted like that, so IF he can get it to feel right, i'm mightly impressed.
But i think that's a little too complicated for you to comprehend, so i don't know why i'm bothering now.

Anyway, i'll stop now. Prolly will get a lot of flame because of this O/T, but i just wanted to point that out.
That makes you a good candidate then.. Well, if you've never used 900 you might not be comfortable using 2.5 turns; it takes a while to get used to re-gripping the wheel and still knowing when the wheels point forward.
So I just downloaded and installed rFactor, I'm now going to install the C6 v3.1 and realfeel and follow your (Niels) tips.
Anything else I should know/do?
Well i used to use 720 degrees in LFS, but i am kind of scared to break the wheel (lol) when i use high degrees. I never even tried 900 degrees in both LFS and rFactor.

Oh and i never seen those tips, the hold gear shifter thingy is like in lfs?
Quote from G!NhO :Well i used to use 720 degrees in LFS, but i am kind of scared to break the wheel (lol) when i use high degrees.

I don't like hitting the stops either, although I have been told they're pretty much unbreakable on the G25.
Ok, well ill try 900 degrees whith the Corvette when i get home.
The G25 isn't as fast as a real wheel. Is there an argument for *slightly* less than 900 degrees if using a realistic angle in the setup? Particularly since ISI can be a bit 'sudden'.

There's also the question of LCD "input lag".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
Niels do you have a video of the pedal mod in action, i might be interested in buying it.

Or is it possible to make a video to show how they look and work?
Hi Niels, i'm also interested in joining this testing.

I for example, have been driving your 'Vette since the first ever version. And back then it was the most joyable thing ever to exist on rF. Some time before it came out, i discovered RealFeel, driven Caterhams, Meganes, and mostly M3 E46 Street Racing mod with it.

But when Corvette V1.0 was out, i said let's try this, i couldn't believe how better then anything it was.
Important for this testing is that I could easily correct slides without facing the oppposite way. Back then, i had DFP, it was set to about 450 or even 720 - but only if i was in the mood if giving it additional propelling.

And then v2.0 came out, by which i already had G25, and it was even better then 1.0. At first for short time was driving it on 720, but then increased it to 900, and used 32 lock in garage, don't remember did i decreased it over time.

And then 3.0 came out. And it was....different. I was one of the whingers over at that thread at rsc, was pointing my finger at alot stuff, like diff, arb... But i just cannot drive it with confidence i had before. And not only the Z06, also the C51. Gotta try all versions once again for comparison.

Also historix, i can oversteer them all the way, whenever i want to (72 & 76 cars we are talking about).

And also, F312, it's so damn hard to keep it in check, but you don't need to take notice of this, because i just didn't give it proper test time.
A short update, I hope to get some of you the Toyota Supra so you get in on a nice beta, plus its somewhat sluggish and heavy, yet powerfull enough to go sideways in. Less darty and twitchy than a Z06..

Me Wants
Hello Niels/all, OK I have now got Rfactor special edition 2008 (given as a gift)
I am interested in finding some high quality mods and also a simple "how to set up wheel" guide (G25 user)

Where is the place you all get your mods?
What mods are considered good quality?
will these mod files auto install into the game or do I place them in a special place?

any other info on essential patches etc would be great.

please link me to correct place for this, if I have posted inthe wrong place.

Thank you
SD.
Quote from SparkyDave :Hello Niels/all, OK I have now got Rfactor special edition 2008 (given as a gift)
I am interested in finding some high quality mods and also a simple "how to set up wheel" guide (G25 user)

The proper wheel setup depends on the mod(s) you play. Usually - if the mod is decent - there will be a manual included with the recommended settings and such.

Quote from SparkyDave :Where is the place you all get your mods?

rfactorcentral.com.

Quote from SparkyDave :
What mods are considered good quality?

Personally I only have the HistorX mod installed, it was the sole reason I got rFactor. It's a superb mod if you've got a G25. It comes with the RealFeel plugin included and an extensive manual. Everything in this mod has had a lot of work put into it and it shows. Only pity is that there is virtually no online racing to be found for this mod unless you join a league of some sort, and even they are scarce. Race2Play should really create a series for this awesome mod.

There are other mods that are definitely worth trying, and they've been mentioned on this forum a number of times but I can't be arsed to look for them. I'm sure other people will post them here. I think the Caterham mod was one, and Niels' Corvette mod.

Quote from SparkyDave :
will these mod files auto install into the game or do I place them in a special place?

Seeing as I only have one mod installed I'm not too familiar with this. The best way to go about this, though, is to use a seperate rF installation for each mod. You can use rF Lite for this, it's only about a 100 MB.

Installation of mods is pretty self explanatory, and they all come with at least a readme file that contains instructions.

Keep in mind that there is a ridiculous amount of content available for rF but only a handful is really worth trying. The same goes for the tracks. For a list of high quality tracks you can check this thread (only the first post) on the Dead Men Racing forum. They were handpicked and chosen for their quality.

Good luck with it!
Its a shame that I cannot install the historyX mod as you need rfactor + GTL lol .

never mind
Im checking the other links now thanks anyway

SD.

EDIT after some extensive messing around I cannot get RF to play ball I had 5000000 ($£ simolians whatever) and a fair few cars (under show owned) after installing Brands hatch I have only 3000 and 2 cars, I found out that minus FF settings felt better, but still cannot catch the spins properly, Ive zeroed speed sensitive steer and played with all the settings, couldn't even get brands it just loaded a default track every time pfft. Im not sure if I need to "upgrade" all the cars first to make them handle better? that can't be right lol.

My 1st impression of the full game is not good, it seems RF is not as user friendly as LFS and I give up on it for tonight. thanks again for all the tips I will try again another day .. It is a real shame about the historyX mod, as that was also want I wanted to try the most

Back to LFS for now.
Are you talking about the default rF game then? I don't have that so I wouldn't know, and I also don't have an opinion on that, but I've heard it said a lot of times that the default content is... well... rubbish

You're right in that rF is nowhere near as user friendly as LFS, though. There's no denying that. It seems it takes a bit of persistance to set everything up correctly. Some people get everything right on the first try and for others it just won't work, which is a damn shame.

EDIT: also, this is actually the more "general" thread for rF so you might want to post your questions/comments in there next time. This thread has a specific purpose that is not about rF in general
If virtual cash isn't why you play the game and you just want to get on with driving cars, just start a test session and type 'ISI_BABYFACTORY' (in caps) in the chat window. This will give you unlimited cash and unlock all the cars you have installed.
Ello!

We're beta testing the toyota supra tonight and possible again this weekend. Time is approx 2100 CET. If you want to join, reply here and I'll send you a PM with download details somewhere before 2030CET. If lots of people reply (here and at RSC) there might not be room for everyone though.

Cheers
Niels
I would like to test the supra
uploading, 5 more mins until i'll send a pm..
It was fun seeing Gabkicks and AJP getting lost at imola!
Niels,

I've reinstalled rFactor today (although I've run out of activations, so until they get back to me I'm using a fixed exe from somewhere) because I want to learn Croft circuit in the UK ready for my race there next month. Okay, so the Croft circuit for rFactor isn't very good, but I thought it might help me with flow, timing and a vague idea of corner speeds (+-20mph!).

I'm using the F3Euro 2007 1.1 mod, but my god the physics are bad. If I ever drive an F3 car that's as bad as these then I'll eat my testicles.

So, rather than give up in my usual "I hate rFactor" kind of way that I usually do, I thought I'd fiddle with the mod. I've already tweaked the gear ratio options so that I have some real ones to play with, but it's the tyres that are confusing me. The main problem is grip 'over the peak'. This either manifests itself as annoying understeer after a good 'turn in' or stupidly uncatchable oversteer (whilst braking, accelerating or just turning).

I've downloaded an Excel file that shows a curve and produces the text-table used in the .tbc files, and selected a curve that seems to have a large gradient to the peak (i.e. quick response), and with very little apparent fall off after the peak. But it's barely made any difference.

Later in the file there are options for DryLatLong, SpeedEffects, LoadSens, LatPeak, LongPeak,GripTempPress, PneumaticTrail, and it is these that I suspect must be the key to making something 'about right'.

Any clues where to start? Having only just spotted the GripTempPress option, I'm going to change those and see if I can get it a bit better. Maybe the cold/hot tyres thing is just too exaggerated...

But your input would be nice if you can spare a few minutes.

Sorry for off topic/thread stealing. I won't take it over for long
I'm afraid a few minutes won't cut it, its better to start from scratch rather than fix a mod; there are so many possible flaws, it'll be frustrating.. Sure the tires are probably wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if engine braking is greater than engine power (well probably not but I did once see a mod that had this) plus the old few degrees of bump steer could well be in there. Or a 80% front aero bias, or a COG thats 10cm too high or low..

I could do a F3 car in a few hours, then it would probably sort of be ok, but ideally we'd have a look at your telemetry and compare it at silverstone or Snetterton, thats another few hours of adjusting tires and aero. Then you could still hate it but it would have the right performance. Good chance you'll even be semi impressed with rFactor, depending on how deeply rooted your hate is

Anyway I'm already overbooked with free mods, and I doubt you're serious enough to consider paying me for it ( www.h-engineering.nl ).. I'd say, don't bother tweaking the physics yourself, I know you're capable eventually but you'll have many frustrating hours ahead of you!
Your C6 3.1 feels good, Niels ! Thanks for the great work.

I don't get the spining problem, even with keyboard.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG