The online racing simulator
First Person Shooters
(34 posts, started )
First Person Shooters
Hey guys, just want some opinions...

I'm looking for a good FPS game, which will run a slightly aged system (2ghz I believe, bad graphics card though.) even with graphics turned all the way down, thats fine.

I want it to have good BOT support, as well as great online play, headset enabled, and be able to play someone with the same cd key over LAN. I'd also like to be semi-realistic. Semi-realistic in the sense you can take a few shots, but not a lot like in the unreal tournament series.

Just looking for something to pass the time with a buddy of mine, and maybe 1 or 2 other people here in college.

Opinions please

MAGGOT
half life 2 deathmatch?
personally im a fan of the unreal tournament series, ut2k4 onslaught maps for me.
half life 2 deathmatch is still pretty good and fun though.
fear? quake 4? those are resource hogs so im nto sure.
I love the unreal series aswell, but I'm looking for something a little more tactical and realistic, but not as real as America's Army

Speaking of which... a Co-Worker showed me America's Army a little of a year ago, and I never got around to trying it. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it is. Probably won't be playing it much as I'm usually not into extreme realism though.

Halflife 2 won't work well on my friend's comp unfortunately I've never played FEAR or any of the quake series games... I'm going to give them a shot though, thanks

MAGGOT
You could try tactical ops for Unreal Tournament. Dont know if anyone plays it but it looks to be a CS type mod for UT.

http://www.tactical-ops.de/
wolfenstein Enemy Territory, thats the only shooter game i play; its really fun too
I'm personally a fan of most of the older Unreal series, W: ET, an old copy of the original Halflife + mods, QuakeWorld (if you can find a copy - let me know, esp if you have a *working* client and server; I've love to relive some of the old days), Nexuiz (its Free, cross platform and good quality), BF1942. I'm sure theres loads of others we can recommend, but those are some of my old and current favourites.
Counter-Strike!111

Not really.
Quote from deggis :Counter-Strike!111

Not really.

Counterstrike WAS good. Then the kids got involved. End of a good game imho. Infact its the end of most games when you start hearing a whiney 12 year old voice / reading badly typed text.
Had a friend round last week and we LAN'd a couple of computers. We tried some of those mentioned above, and do you know what we ended up playing 90% of the time?... Doom2 (Legacy version) - just can't beat the original gameplay!
god, i hate counterstrike, with a passion, i guess i can find out how its fun for some people, but it was so dull to me, [edit] i just wrote a long paragrpah here why i hate it and i just re-read it and got very confused, so i took it out lol.

and worst of all, im also asian, and despise all my asian friends who play it,
dam asians...
MOH:AA, BF1942 (no bots in 2), COD, CSS and UT2K4 for me (mutliplayer that is). Never play online. Haven't played any of them infact since I moved out of my shared house at Uni back in the end of August. No fun on your own. Don't have time for the single player element. Hardly have time for LFS tbh. Damn job. At least I can listen to my music on the train...
Been a half life fan for ages so it's CS:S and DoD:S for me when I'm in a shooting mood and can't be bothered to wait for BF2 to load.

Enemy Territory was (sorry, is) an excellent game. But it's a little dated now I think. If you can wait and hang on a bit the Quake Wars looks like the way of the future. That's what I'm saving my pocket money for at least . . lol
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Hmm, some good suggestions. I'll check these out

I'm savin up my pocket change for Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter right now... unless a fun game like BF1942 grabs my attention. I just want the headset capability. Now... I had always thought bf1942 had it, and it very well might. I just havent seen it. Can anybody tell me if it is there?

MAGGOT
I play BF2 now =/
no i dont think BF1942 did, but hey incase you didnt know, wolfenstein enemy territory is free you know

and completely modable (download maps you dont have and whatnot when joining a server) so its quite fun
Counter Strike Source!!!!
You know, my wolf:ET disk is just sitting in plain view on my bookshelf next to the computer. It's been there for over a year now. just sitting there. Biding it's time. Just patiently waiting. And I think I might have to dust it off and give it a whirl again. Some of those maps are just genius, so well thought out and impletmented with each class doing there job. A good team in ET is almost impossible to beat because everyone knows their duty and sticks to their guns . . .
yep.. as long as your in a good server, try to find one with OUT spawn killing allowed

so far the best servers i have come across with the nicest people is the USEF servers
Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty.
Most of the above, but my personal favourite is the original Ghost Recon,
I picked up the 3 in 1 Gold Pack for 5 quid, and its miles better than both GR1 and GR2 Xbox version's. (Advanced Warfare seems too fussy to me, the action gets lost a bit, with too much information on screen)

+ there's still a thriving community for GR1, loads of online action, and some of the recent Mods are fantastic "War of Infamy" (WW2 addon), "Year of the Monkey" (Vietnam), and "Frostbite" (erm....snow !!), are some of the best.

Ok, the graphics are now pretty ropey compared to mdern standards, Half Life2 for example, but they're not that bad,(just set all options to max), but, its the immersive gameplay that stands out, as well as it's pick up and play quality, and there's just something about the weapon control that feels so right, the Ai arnt to bad either.

America's Army, pretty good, and its free, but you have to go through training before you go online, (its essentially an online only game)
As is Enemy Territory and it is very dated (as mentioned above), but it is hoot !.

Every PC version of Call of Duty is pure quality, but the offline game's are pretty linear, which can sometimes be irritating when you're used to the free roaming gameplay of GR. (never played it online though ??)

Delta Force Black Hawk Down has its plus points. And the Battlefield series are pretty bland.
i agree with rappaz ^^ cod all the way, either one or 2 its a fine game, also tactical if you learn how to play s&d, if you like oldskool why not rogue spear?
Bob smith, there are plenty mods out that add upto 64 bots in BF2
I havent played GR1, but I've played some multiplayer GR2 on a friend's XBox... As much as I hated Xbox, I did have a good time mowing my friends down with the SAW I'll check both games out.. The real tricky part is finding something to run on my buddy's computer... I'd think GR1 would at least run though... Time to find a demo methinks.. after homework..
Soldner :bitehard:

First Person Shooters
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG