The online racing simulator
The car wars thread!
(139 posts, started )
The funniest part is that neither kingfang nor james actually have a clue what they're talking about. Some gems in those posts. If I had a 'trendy' signature quote I'd have loads to choose from... ha ha ha

Both of you - go and do some research on engines and on cars in general. And I don't mean GoogleResearch.
Okay Reginald.
Quote from kingcars :Get your stererotypes out of here. I'm a tiny guy; 5' 4" and 110lbs. No obesity here, nor anywhere in my family kthxbye. I'm ashamed of all the lazy obese people in this country.

thats cold hard statistical facts not stereotypes
however there is a stereotype about short guys owning huge cars that im sure youve heard before

on a more serious note low end torque is largely irrelevant for anything other than drag racing and city driving both of which arent what you buy a sports car for anyway
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Sorry is that something of a problem? Engines burn oil, even if it's a small amount. Just a fact.

Obviously if that was the case, nobody would have brought it up. It's quite known that they burn MORE OIL THAN NORMAL. Not the typical small amount.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
I did? I think I said HONDA make very reliable engines.

Oh ok, ONLY Honda then :rolleyes:

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Not as badly as you do!

Ok, Mr "OMG look at how much power an S2000 makes" :rolleyes:

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Shame it'd almost undoubtably slower round any track (your one that is)

Please find where I referenced my car in road course racing and get back to me. Lets not forget the huge price gap between my car and an S2000. Give me the same money and I'll run circles around it on any track.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Brake horse power is a unit of power. RWHP is the power that goes through the big metal bits that turn and obviously there are going to be loses...

So why in the world are you trying to compare a car with 240bhp/160ftlbs to a car with 240RWhp/300rwtq? You are an expert at contradiction.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
what's sad is when people start trying to make their car sound more powerful by going on about crank bhp.

Learn to read:

Quote from kingcars :
It's not to make my car sound more powerful, it's to try to ensure that we make fair comparisons. I have to do this because the people here, like you, have no idea what 240rwhp actually means. See the S2000 comparison above, which you tried to make because its Bhp is close to my rwhp, when in reality, its power is nowhere NEAR where mine is.

I never mention BHP on car forums where people know what they're talking about. When I say 240rwhp/300rwtq, they know what it means and don't try to compare cars like stock S2000s to it.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Lol an overdrive? Get with it grandpa!

I can afford that luxury since my car doesnt need a close ratio gearbox to stay in a miniscule power band.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
And here you prove where you should watch what you say! "My Dad did this, my dad did that". Don't see you doing anything, I'd be surprised if you knew the difference between an adjustable spanner and a torque wrench.

More ignorant low blows, very nice. Real men must build engines 100% by themselves, and including a close father must mean they're stupid (/sarcasm). Great proof that your argument is failing so you must look somewhere else. If you really want to know what I did, I'll just name a few things off the top of my head: Completely disassembled the original engine, brought the block to the machine shop for complete refresh, installed the crank, piston rings/pistons (and checked all clearances during that process), installed and degreed the camshaft, assembled and torqued down the heads, adjusted the rockers, installed the lower intake/fuel injectors/fuel rail....I can go on, but I hope you get the point.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Not as ignorant as thinking big tyres make a car corner well. Aid grip? Yes. Make it HANDLE better? No. And arguably suspension setup will aid grip more than a set of fancy tyres.

Have you ever gone from 14x7 rims with crap tires to 17x8s with very nice tires? The difference is huge. It may not change the car's overall characteristics, but it hangs corners surprisingly well; way better than it did before.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Please show a source for your approximation. Otherwise, GTFO.

Surely your sarcas-o-meter isn't THAT far gone

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Besides, maybe I like top end rush!

Thats fine, some people do.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Well in your country of course you'd need to!

obvious troll
Really? Your great argument has to resort to this? How pathetic. At least I clearly explain my points and give examples. You just use cheap personal insults and stereotypical claims.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
As explained I know the difference between RWHP and Crank HP, you'd be VERY ignorant to assume I don't know the difference, but being an American "ignorant" is inevitably your middle name.

Thats the thing...you obviously DONT know the difference since you're the one trying to compare cars that have a 50whp and 150wtq difference. Funny thing, you still haven't actually responded to my S2000 dyno argument. And hey look, another low-blow attack using a cheap stereotype...I didn't see that coming!

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Well you're obviously not going to use it if you don't go above 5500rpm anyway. Sods law init?

Did you read what I said? This is the engine in my dad's Chevelle, which has seen over 6k many times. And obviously we're never gonna upgrade any part of the engine from now on, so that whole "room to grow" thing is...wait...nevermind, you conveniently didn't read that part so I won't even bring it up.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
I have actually!

I would insert a cheap personal insult...but nah...I'll just stick to my real argument, since it actually has substance.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Acceleration is acceleration?

I said that the speed is made in a completely different fashion between bikes and cars. Bikes easily have crazy power/weight ratios right off the bat...it's a lot tougher to do with full bodied cars, and requires the use of more cylinders, cubic inches, and much more overall power. Trying to compare cars and bikes in acceleration is horrible; even a relatively slow bike is going to lay waste to some pretty fast cars...but yet again, you're the king at horrible comparisons so I wouldn't put it past you.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Is that my problem? Again you're just making excuses for it.. :doh:

Making excuses as to how my car still put down more power than a "high tech" stock S2000 can dream of for a fraction of the price? Guess that speaks volumes for the S2000. Either way, your argument fails. Hilarious.

Quote from Shotglass :
on a more serious note low end torque is largely irrelevant for anything other than drag racing and city driving both of which arent what you buy a sports car for anyway

Low end torque is good for getting out of low speed corners in road racing, among other things (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, my car is a daily driver. I built my engine accordingly; great for stop light to stop light power and good drag strip times. Though I plan to completely revamp the suspension in the near future and hit the road course. Unfortunately, the nearest one is a few hours away (VIR). And you may not buy a sports car for around town driving, but in most cases that's what it will be doing the majority of the time.

Quote from tristancliffe :The funniest part is that neither kingfang nor james actually have a clue what they're talking about. Some gems in those posts. If I had a 'trendy' signature quote I'd have loads to choose from... ha ha ha

How about you enlighten us, Oh Master of Car Knowledge :rolleyes:
Quote :No sh*t, sherlock. Obviously if that was the case, nobody would have brought it up. It's quite known that they burn MORE OIL THAN NORMAL. Not the typical small amount.

Part of the combustion process. IIRC it even tells you to check the oil level every 300miles or something, so anyone who has a Rotary engine killed due to oil starvation is nothing less than a fool that can't read.

Quote :Oh ok, ONLY Honda then :rolleyes:

Simply used Honda as an example. Not only are European/Japanese engines more technologically advanced and are obviously no less (arguably more?) reliable than many equivalent American engines. Thus disproving you when it comes to saying that "more technology is more to go wrong", since it obviously doesn't.

Quote :Ok, Mr "OMG look at how much power an S2000 makes" :rolleyes:

Simply used it to point out how pitiful American engines are for specific output.

Quote :Please refer me to where I referenced my car in road course racing and get back to me. Lets not forget the huge price gap between my car and an S2000. Give me the same money and I'll run circles around it on any track.

Indeed if you're drag racing. Round a track (you know, with corners??) you'd be hard pressed. Besides, what good is a car in which the dashboard is made from pieces of wheeliebins stuck together.. after all, you can't really manipulate the pedals with a piece of plastic flapping about.

Quote :So why in the world are you trying to compare a car with 240bhp/160ftlbs to a car with 240RWhp/300rwtq? You are an expert at contradiction.

Because 240Rwhp is shit for an engine with a 5.4l capacity and says alot about America as a nation!

couldn't get more obvious(:

Quote :Learn to read:

I never mention BHP on car forums where people know what they're talking about. When I say 240rwhp/300rwtq, they know what it means and don't try to compare cars like stock S2000s to it.

You don't exactly "know what you're talking about" either, more like you meet a bunch of conformists and fellow Americans that would screw their air intake on their V8 because it makes them feel patriotic!

Quote :I can afford that luxury since my car doesnt need a close ratio gearbox to stay in a miniscule power band.

It's not a luxury, it's a relic from the 1950's! Unless, shifting through a 6 speed close ratio box is too much effort...any form of exercise! :rolleyes:

Quote :More ignorant low blows, very nice. Real men must build engines 100% by themselves, and including a close father must mean they're stupid (/sarcasm). Great proof that your argument is failing so you must look somewhere else.

I wasn't really arguing to begin with. I just like humouring you.

Just HOW close are you with your Father again?

Quote :Have you ever gone from 14x7 rims with crap tires to 17x8s with very nice tires? The difference is huge. It may not change the car's overall characteristics, but it hangs corners surprisingly well; way better than it did before.

As I said before, impact will be nothing when compared to a properly sorted chassis..

Quote :Surely your sarcas-o-meter isn't THAT far gone

Quote :Thats fine, some people do.

]

Quote :obvious troll
Really? Your great argument has to resort to this? How pathetic. At least I clearly explain my points and give examples. You just use cheap personal insults and stereotypical claims.

Shows just how serious you are exactly!

Quote :You're the one trying to compare cars that have a 50whp and 150wtq difference. Funny thing, you still haven't actually responded to my S2000 dyno argument.

You forgot the 400kg weight difference!

Quote :This is the engine in my dad's Chevelle, which has seen over 6k several times.

Quote :I would insert a cheap personal insult...but nah...I'll just stick to my real argument.

I'm all ears, I'd love to hear what you could come up with!

Quote :I said that the speed is made in a completely different fashion between bikes and cars. Bikes easily have crazy power/weight ratios right off the bat...it's a lot tougher to do on 4 wheels, and requires the use of more cylinders, cubic inches, and much more overall power. Trying to compare cars and bikes in acceleration is horrible...but yet again, you're the king at horrible comparisons so I wouldn't put it past you.

The fact of the matter is it's acceleration. A car that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is the same amount of acceleration that a bike produces to do 0-60 in the same time. I wasn't comparing acceleration, per se, simply that I have experienced very fast straight line acceleration, something which you implied I couldn't/haven't done.

Quote :Making excuses as to how my car still put down more power than a "high tech" stock S2000 can dream of? Hilarious.

I am??

First it's the carbs
Then the throttle cable
Then the bearings

What's next? Left a handbag in the front seat? Ya' miss de point.
Quote from kingcars :Low end torque is good for getting out of low speed corners in road racing, among other things (correct me if I'm wrong).

only if its a rididuclously slow corner in a car that has its gearing completely off for that track
ie if its slow enough to drop out of the powerband in first which almost never happens on any track that matters
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Part of the combustion process. IIRC it even tells you to check the oil level every 300miles or something, so anyone who has a Rotary engine killed due to oil starvation is nothing less than a fool that can't read.

I'll stick with my 306 which doesn't burn any oil (not nearly enough to where the levels drop off, at least)

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Simply used Honda as an example. Not only are European/Japanese engines more technologically advanced and are obviously no less (arguably more?) reliable than many equivalent American engines. Thus disproving you when it comes to saying that "more technology is more to go wrong", since it obviously doesn't.

I know a few people that would say otherwise. But yet again, I'm sure there are plenty of people in the opposite spectrum as well. Like I said, it's more stuff that CAN go wrong, not that it actually WILL go wrong.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Simply used it to point out how pitiful American engines are for specific output.

And I showed you how pathetic the S2000's power was compared to a cheap, bottom-of-the-totem pole American V8 build...

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Indeed if you're drag racing. Round a track (you know, with corners??) you'd be hard pressed. Besides, what good is a car in which the dashboard is made from pieces of wheeliebins stuck together.. after all, you can't really manipulate the pedals with a piece of plastic flapping about.

Blah blah blah, more stereotyping.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Because 240Rwhp is shit for an engine with a 5.4l capacity and says alot about America as a nation!

couldn't get more obvious(:
Hmmm, last I checked, my engine was 5.0L. Nah, you must know more about it than I do!

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
You don't exactly "know what you're talking about" either, more like you meet a bunch of conformists and fellow Americans that would screw their air intake on their V8 because it makes them feel patriotic!

Yet another stereotype aside (wow I would love to keep count of all of them...), I will agree that I don't know everything about cars, hence why I keep my arguments within the realms of stuff I do know about.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
It's not a luxury, it's a relic from the 1950's! Unless, shifting through a 6 speed close ratio box is too much effort...any form of exercise! :rolleyes:

I would actually love a 6 speed; just don't have loads of money to blow on one. And once again, a stereotype.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
I wasn't really arguing to begin with. I just like humouring you.

Just HOW close are you with your Father again?

I'm very family oriented.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
As I said before, impact will be nothing when compared to a properly sorted chassis..

True, but the fact remains that the tires made a huge difference for me.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
You forgot the 400kg weight difference!

They run, what...low/mid 14s stock in the 1/4 mile last I checked? Stock 225hp/285ftlb 1988 5.0 Mustangs run that.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :

rofl

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
I'm all ears, I'd love to hear what you could come up with!

Nah, I'd prefer to stick to the discussion at hand.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
The fact of the matter is it's acceleration. A car that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds is the same amount of acceleration that a bike produces to do 0-60 in the same time. I wasn't comparing acceleration, per se, simply that I have experienced very fast straight line acceleration, something which you implied I couldn't/haven't done.

How about in a car?

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
I am??

First it's the carbs
Then the throttle cable
Then the bearings

What's next? Left a handbag in the front seat? Ya' miss de point.

I see what you're getting at, but it's not considered an excuse when I'm proving a better point with what I'm making the "excuse" about (ie how my Tbird put down much better power than an S2000, even with its problems at the time). All of those things are 100% true, whether you believe them or not. And actually, there was no "excuse" about the carb, only the throttle cable in relation to the carb.

Quote from Shotglass :only if its a rididuclously slow corner in a car that has its gearing completely off for that track
ie if its slow enough to drop out of the powerband in first which almost never happens on any track that matters

Good point.
Weirdly, you've never replied to my post kingcars (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1191529#post1191529) but I won't really bother anymore since I'm not gonna achieve anything. This discussion of yours and S14 is steadily falling into a argument more then a debate.

I'm just gonna say that you keep comparing your big american car to a mere S2000 which is just a combination of sport car performance and a daily driver commodities. Well what do you reckon about the Caterham Superlight R500? Truly a sport car that has been based on the "simply and add lightness" motto. It uses just a 2L engine yet I bet it can beat any of your american V8 in a straight line and without a doubt in the corners.
I think your car couldn't even outdrag a normal Superlight.
Quote from BAMBO :Weirdly, you've never replied to my post kingcars (http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1191529#post1191529) but I won't really bother anymore since I'm not gonna achieve anything. This discussion of yours and S14 is steadily falling into a argument more then a debate.

Sorry, didn't get around to replying to it. Since you mentioned it, I'll do it just for you!

Quote from BAMBO :Wow, you totally missed the point. I said F1 cars USE V8 engines but because they are overstroke engines, they have a very linear ascending torque band thus proving my point that a wide torque band isn't something specific to V8s but to understroke engines.
And I'm the stupid one?

Yes, I misinterpreted your post. Your point was not made clearly, IMO:

Quote from BAMBO :Because if it would be an advantage of an engine being a V8 (as in the way the pistons are connected) then how come F1 engines have such a fluid torque band?

Please clarify more next time.

Quote from BAMBO :
And wouldn't my statement be correct?

Maybe if they actually existed.

Quote from BAMBO :
I don't recall saying that. But oh well, you made a fool out of yourself when you replied earlier.

See above. Misinterpretation, I apologize. Also, the argument is mainly about American V8s, which I suppose have the specific characteristics for torque that you refer to.

Quote from BAMBO :
I'm just gonna say that you keep comparing your big american car to a mere S2000 which is just a combination of sport car performance and a daily driver commodities. Well what do you reckon about the Caterham Superlight R500? Truly a sports car that has been based on the "simply and add lightness" motto. It uses just a 2L engine yet I bet it can beat any of your american V8 in a straight line and without a doubt in the corners.
I think your car couldn't even outdrag a normal Superlight.

You have no idea how badly I would love to have a Caterham. I think those cars are awesome and I definitely respect their straight line speed and agility. I doubt it could beat ANY American V8 in a straight line, but probably a good number of them...it's a very light mofo.

Also, I wasn't the one that started the S2000 comparison.
Damn you I was watching James May on the Moon!

Quote from kingcars :I'll stick with my 306 which doesn't burn any oil (not nearly enough to where the levels drop off, at least)

Good for you?

Quote :I know a few people that would say otherwise. But yet again, I'm sure there are plenty of people in the opposite spectrum as well. Like I said, it's more stuff that CAN go wrong, not that it actually WILL go wrong

But it doesn't go wrong. FI (just one example of "modern" technology) is much easier and more reliable than carbs. You don't cold start issues and you don't get carb icing. Plus all the fuel injected bikes make a cool noise when you turn the key!

Quote :And I showed you how pathetic the S2000's power was compared to a cheap, bottom-of-the-totem pole American V8 build...

Oh so this is about pure power?

Quote :Blah blah blah, more stereotyping.

Truth hurts?

Quote :couldn't get more obvious(:
Hmmm, last I checked, my engine was 5.0L. Nah, you must know more about it than I do!

My mistake? 250bhp from 5L is 50bhp per liter, that's still dreadful. You get more from a lawnmower engine

Quote :Yet another stereotype aside (wow I would love to keep count of all of them...), I will agree that I don't know everything about cars, hence why I keep my arguments within the realms of stuff I do know about.

It's true though. American cars interiors suck.

Quote :I would actually love a 6 speed; just don't have loads of money to blow on one. And once again, a stereotype.

That's why nearly every American car is spec'd (or comes with) an Auto. Because "it's too much effort"

Quote :I'm very family oriented.

Wouldn't be Redneck? :hide:

Quote :True, but the fact remains that the tires made a huge difference for me.

I'm glad.

Quote :They run, what...low/mid 14s stock in the 1/4 mile last I checked? Stock 225hp/285ftlb 1988 5.0 Mustangs run that.

http://musclecarfacts.net/1988-mustang.html

Add another second.

Car&Track got 13.9 out of a S2000.

rofl

Quote :Nah, I'd prefer to stick to the discussion at hand.

Thought it was going to get interesting

Quote :How about in a car?

Been in a Caterham R300 round Silverstone, does that count?

Quote :I see what you're getting at, but it's not considered an excuse when I'm proving a better point with what I'm making the "excuse" about (ie how my Tbird put down much better power than an S2000, even with its problems at the time). All of those things are 100% true, whether you believe them or not. And actually, there was no "excuse" about the carb, only the throttle cable in relation to the carb.

Sorry what's that you've upgraded your engine? Ahem nuff said.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
But it doesn't go wrong. FI (just one example of "modern" technology) is much easier and more reliable than carbs. You don't cold start issues and you don't get carb icing. Plus all the fuel injected bikes make a cool noise when you turn the key!

Agreed, FI is great...hence why I plan to keep it on my Tbird.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Oh so this is about pure power?

*sigh*

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Truth hurts?

Yeah because you've been in every American car ever made and you are the all knowing expert on American car interiors.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
My mistake? 250bhp from 5L is 50bhp per liter, that's still dreadful. You get more from a lawnmower engine

Shame that you discriminate based on that fact alone, cause I'm making that power for a lot less money than you 4cyl guys.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
It's true though. American cars interiors suck.

So you've been in even a MAJORITY of American cars? My 155,000 mile interior has hardly a rattle; it's very solid.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
That's why nearly every American car is spec'd (or comes with) an Auto. Because "it's too much effort"

And the fact that I swapped the automatic out of my car in exchange for a 5 speed obviously doesn't go against that ignorant stereotype :rolleyes:

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Wouldn't be Redneck? :hide:

You're not helping your argument at all.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
http://musclecarfacts.net/1988-mustang.html

Add another second.

Car&Track got 13.9 out of a S2000.

HAHAHAHAAH 15.6 for a stock Mustang. What a joke. I have a timeslip that begs to differ:

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ... gcars/QuarterMileTime.jpg

From last year when I ran my car...100% stock Mustang 5.0L engine, 100% stock AOD tranny, AND my Tbird is heavier than a Mustang. No wonder you're so ignorant if you believe that junk. Do some real research and you'll find stock 5.0 Mustangs running as low as 14.2.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Been in a Caterham R300 round Silverstone, does that count?

That musta been cool. Not quite what I'm talkin about though.
Quote from kingcars :Agreed, FI is great...hence why I plan to keep it on my Tbird.

As said, was just an "example".

Quote :Yeah because you've been in every American car ever made and you are the all knowing expert on American car interiors.

It's a well known fact interiors of MOST American cars are poorly built.

Quote :Shame that you discriminate based on that fact alone, cause I'm making that power for a lot less money than you 4cyl guys.

Again, wasn't refering specifically to any sort of engine. Just that AMERICAN V8's are poor.

Quote :So you've been in even a MAJORITY of American cars? My 155,000 mile interior has hardly a rattle; it's very solid.

Been in 2. Needless to say I walked if given the choice.

Quote :And the fact that I swapped the automatic out of my car in exchange for a 5 speed obviously doesn't go against that ignorant stereotype :rolleyes:

Perhaps you. 1 person

Quote :HAHAHAHAAH 15.6 for a stock Mustang. What a joke. I have a timeslip that begs to differ:

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ... gcars/QuarterMileTime.jpg

From last year when I ran my car...100% stock Mustang 5.0L engine, 100% stock AOD tranny, AND my Tbird is heavier than a Mustang. No wonder you're so ignorant if you believe that junk. Do some real research and you'll find stock 5.0 Mustangs running as low as 14.2.

Strangely enough that's not as fast as the "slower" S2000 which ran a 13.9! So, in a way..

http://jansontech.com/motivationals/objection.jpg !

Quote :That musta been cool. Not quite what I'm talkin about though.

Well it's near enough. Was cool as well btw.

The whole thing was about experiencing very fast acceleration which I have done, so enough about that.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
It's a well known assumption interiors of MOST American cars are poorly built.

Fixed

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Again, wasn't refering specifically to any sort of engine. Just that AMERICAN V8's are poor.

Care to say that again?

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Been in 2. Needless to say I walked if given the choice.

Good job, you based an opinion on millions of cars based on personal experience with just 2. Perfect example of ignorance.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Perhaps you. 1 person

If you think I'm the only person to do such a swap, you're badly mistaken.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Strangely enough that's not as fast as the "slower" S2000 which ran a 13.9! So, in a way..

http://jansontech.com/motivationals/objection.jpg !

Strangely enough, that was my timeslip with the STOCK 5.0 engine, NOT my recently built 306 (didn't even have the 5 speed then either). Big difference. Learn to READ.
http://jansontech.com/motivationals/objection.jpg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

Perhaps you. 1 person

Here's my 1994 Ford Ranger XLT has around 380k miles on it... Still runs perfectly fine. The only thing(major) that we had to change so far was the front differential for the 4x4, and that's basically it...

http://i136.photobucket.com/al ... 133737e10e579a79c9536.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/al ... 881b85e0ec8f34a80244b.jpg

I had the choice between this truck or my sister's old ford probe, that probe was a blast to drive, but it was automatic and I wanted a manual, which this truck is. And it has pretty good HP/TQ ratio also.
Quote from kingcars :Fixed

No, it's a well journalised fact. Check out ANY European car magazine you'll always find them judging the quality of the interiors as poor. Infact just watch a Top Gear episode without them taking the piss out of the interiors.

Quote :Care to say that again?

You keep brining up 4cyls. When this dicussion wasn't about V8's Vs 4cyl. It was about AMERICAN V8's vs everything that's actually decent.

Quote :Good job, you based an opinion on millions of cars based on personal experience with just 2. Perfect example of ignorance.

Considering most American cars use the same, oh, 10 or 15 chassis with slightly different bodies bolted on top of them, I'd say it's pretty valid!

Quote :If you think I'm the only person to do such a swap, you're badly mistaken.

If you think I'd make such a silly assumption, YOU'RE badly mistaken. Maybe 5% of car owners swap for manuals, so that's a MAJORITY that don't.

Quote :Strangely enough, that was my timeslip with the STOCK 5.0 engine, NOT my recently built 306 (didn't even have the 5 speed then either). Big difference. Learn to READ.
http://jansontech.com/motivationals/objection.jpg

Sorry what's that to do with anything?

Quote from YOU :HAHAHAHAAH 15.6 for a stock Mustang. What a joke. I have a timeslip that begs to differ:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...erMileTime.jpg

Quote :They run, what...low/mid 14s stock in the 1/4 mile last I checked? Stock 225hp/285ftlb 1988 5.0 Mustangs run that.

So obviously disproven, since official testing shows 15.something I can't remember. You claim you ran a something 14. But wait, you claimed the Mustang can run with the S2000, which it can't! So

Take your(my) demotivational poster and shove it.

SidiousX : As I should have (perhaps?) clarified, the majority of people have Auto cars and/or would buy a car with an Autobox. nice truck
Quote from S14 DRIFT :No, it's a well journalised fact. Check out ANY European car magazine you'll always find them judging the quality of the interiors as poor. Infact just watch a Top Gear episode without them taking the piss out of the interiors.

Nope, they wouldn't be biased. Never. :rolleyes:

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
You keep brining up 4cyls. When this dicussion wasn't about V8's Vs 4cyl. It was about AMERICAN V8's vs everything that's actually decent.

This discussion has been about small engines vs American V8s for quite a while now. Try to keep up!

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Considering most American cars use the same, oh, 10 or 15 chassis with slightly different bodies bolted on top of them, I'd say it's pretty valid!

Fail.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Sorry what's that to do with anything?

HAHAHAHA are you really this stupid? We were JUST comparing my 306 to an S2000 engine. So what does it have to do with anything? Oh, idk...maybe the fact that the stock 5.0HO has 70rwhp/30-40rwtq less than my 306 might make some difference; the difference between my car running a 14.6 and a 13.5. Seriously dude, get a grip on reality here. :rolleyes:

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
So obviously disproven, since official testing shows 15.something I can't remember. You claim you ran a something 14. But wait, you claimed the Mustang can run with the S2000, which it can't! So

Take your(my) demotivational poster and shove it.

Official testing my @$$. 15.6 is absolutely absurd, especially since you wholeheartedly believe it. My HEAVIER TBIRD with the SAME ENGINE running a FREAKIN AUTOMATIC ran a 14.6. I did it MYSELF. And I'm not CLAIMING it, I've got the timeslip right there for you to look at (take a long good look at it http://img.photobucket.com/alb ... gcars/QuarterMileTime.jpg ). Proof is an area that your argument lacks severely in. What part of this are you failing to grasp?

EDIT: Here's even more proof in case you're still clinging to that pathetic "official test": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnKNGOGveqM

And before you even try to do the "but that's a 93, not an 88!" argument, let me assure you that the Mustang did not change hardly at all from 1987-1993. The only difference is that it lost ~20hp when Ford went to Mass Air Flow in '89.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
SidiousX : As I should have (perhaps?) clarified, the majority of people have Auto cars and/or would buy a car with an Autobox. nice truck

OMG I can't believe it!
?
Quote from kingcars :Nope, they wouldn't be biased. Never. :rolleyes:

They don't say they're bad for no reason.

Quote :This discussion has been about small engines vs American V8s for quite a while now. Try to keep up!

You keep up.

Quote :Fail.

Far from it, many share underpinnings with various models.

Quote :HAHAHAHA are you really this stupid? We were JUST comparing my 306 to an S2000 engine. So what does it have to do with anything? Oh, idk...maybe the fact that the stock 5.0HO has 70rwhp/30-40rwtq less than my 306 might make some difference; the difference between my car running a 14.6 and a 13.5. Seriously dude, get a grip on reality here. :rolleyes:

You're telling MEE to get a grip on reality? No u

Quote :Official testing my @$$. 15.6 is absolutely absurd, especially since you wholeheartedly believe it. My HEAVIER TBIRD with the SAME ENGINE running a FREAKIN AUTOMATIC ran a 14.6. I did it MYSELF. And I'm not CLAIMING it, I've got the timeslip right there for you to look at (take a long good look at it http://img.photobucket.com/alb ... gcars/QuarterMileTime.jpg ). Proof is an area that your argument lacks severely in. What part of this are you failing to grasp?

I've already looked at it. Wasn't impressed.

Quote :EDIT: Here's even more proof in case you're still clinging to that pathetic "official test": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnKNGOGveqM

And before you even try to do the "but that's a 93, not an 88!" argument, let me assure you that the Mustang did not change hardly at all from 1987-1993. The only difference is that it lost ~20hp when Ford went to Mass Air Flow in '89.

Fact of the matter is it's SLOWER than the S2000

Don't be like "well i can go faster for cheaper" or your car goes faster. Your car is modified. Simple fact of the matter is, with "197rwhp" or whatever it is, the S2000 will go quicker..
shadarp you idiots! farkin el!
cant you guys fight in Pm's lol
Quote from S14 DRIFT :They don't say they're bad for no reason.

If you say so.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
You keep up.

I'm not the one losing track of the argument at hand.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Far from it, many share underpinnings with various models.

I wonder what the chassis has to do with interior quality.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
You're telling MEE to get a grip on reality? No u

You're the one asking what the "deal" is over a 70rwhp difference...

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
I've already looked at it. Wasn't impressed.

But you're impressed by a 14.20 run by an S2000? A car with the advantage of 20 years of technology advancement and all it can muster is 4 tenths more than my car with 155,000 miles that I had less than $2000 in total, including purchase price? What a joke.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Fact of the matter is it's SLOWER than the S2000

Like I said, there are stock Mustangs that have run 14.1s and 14.2s stock, so not really. Also refer to my above comment.

On another note, take a look at that S2000's trap speed in relation to the ET. 14.2 @ 96. Now, take a look at yet another stock Mustang making a pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtsEZRfFmug&NR=1

14.4 @ 98. The S2000 is losing steam on the top end oddly enough (or it could be the other way around...you'd have to look at the timeslip), and 98mph is way high for 14.4, meaning there are a few tenths left to be had in the ET. Whether you like it or not, a 1/4 pass with a stock 1988 Mustang and a stock S2000 is a driver's race...and the Mustang is 20 years old.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Don't be like "well i can go faster for cheaper" or your car goes faster. Your car is modified. Simple fact of the matter is, with "197rwhp" or whatever it is, the S2000 will go quicker..

Oh yes, let me just drop the entire argument that I've built and provided proof for. Great idea :rolleyes: . That's like if I were to say "Don't mention how the S2000 is lighter! Thats not fair!" You can't just revoke advantages. This whole argument started with someone talking crap about my 306, so that's what will be the center of the argument, plain and simple. Next time, try to have a real argument in your arsenal instead of constantly having to change the focus of the discussion to suit your needs.
Quote from kingcars :If you say so.

I do.

Quote :I'm not the one losing track of the argument at hand.

If you think I'm arguing because I actually give much of a damn, you're wrong! I'm arguing because it's fun to be like this with you because you are obviously getting annoyed by it! Muaha

Quote :I wonder what the chassis has to do with interior quality.

Well, in America, both are generally terrible. So I guess nothing.

Quote :You're the one asking what the "deal" is over a 70rwhp difference...

Obviously nothing in acceleration as I've already shown, and around a track the S2000 would be miles quicker. So infact there is no deal what so ever.

Quote :But you're impressed by a 14.20 run by an S2000? A car with the advantage of 20 years of technology advancement and all it can muster is 4 tenths more than my car with 155,000 miles that I had less than $2000 in total, including purchase price? What a joke.

Source from : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU

ZR1 rated at 638bhp/604lbft
Deliverd 505/494 at the wheels.

That's a HUGE loss, that's what? 130 bhp? You've lost a Ford Mondeo engine worth of power.. crazy

Who knows the mileage of that S2000. I saw Top Gear recently with Hammonds own "classic" (decent ones!) Mustang, supposedly producing something like 230 when new, and when dyno'd it was producing like 175 or something. Now I very much doubt that when new the car had much more than 175bhp. Only an unhealthy engine with clogged injectors/carbs, poor spark plugs, knackered piston rings, etc, will produce less power. And trust me less power would be the least of your issues if you had an engine in a state to have it affect output.

It's 5am so I understand what I've just written may be a little hard to follow. Basically, your engine isn't going to be significantly less powerful just because it's done XXXXXX miles.

It also points out that your engine probably has "lost" very little power just by doing distance. Engine's don't just magically "lose" vast chunks of BHP just because they have been round a few times. In actual fact a used motor produces more HP than a new one.

Back to the S2000, the fact is it's a 2L 4cyl, it's smaller than half the size and has half the cylinders. Who says there's no replacement for displacement? I call it vtec. And it just kicked in yo!

Quote :Like I said, there are stock Mustangs that have run 14.1s and 14.2s stock, so not really. Also refer to my above comment.

Quote :On another note, take a look at that S2000's trap speed in relation to the ET. 14.2 @ 96. Now, take a look at yet another stock Mustang making a pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtsEZRfFmug&NR=1

14.4 @ 98. The S2000 is losing steam on the top end oddly enough (or it could be the other way around...you'd have to look at the timeslip), and 98mph is way high for 14.4, meaning there are a few tenths left to be had in the ET. Whether you like it or not, a 1/4 pass with a stock 1988 Mustang and a stock S2000 is a driver's race...and the Mustang is 20 years old.

Shorthand for the S2000 is quicker

Quote :Oh yes, let me just drop the entire argument that I've built and provided proof for. Great idea :rolleyes: . That's like if I were to say "Don't mention how the S2000 is lighter! Thats not fair!" You can't just revoke advantages. This whole argument started with someone talking crap about my 306, so that's what will be the center of the argument, plain and simple. Next time, try to have a real argument in your arsenal instead of constantly having to change the focus of the discussion to suit your needs.

Did it hurt your ickle 306's feelings? Are you huggling it in a blanky and kissing it better?

All throughout you've been going on about "blah blah you can't go faster for cheaper". Your car standard would be dreadful. Even after you've put bolt on parts from magazines that say it will make it go faster, it can still only JUST about keep up with a 2 litre convertible. It's pathetic.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Obviously nothing in acceleration as I've already shown, and around a track the S2000 would be miles quicker. So infact there is no deal what so ever.

You're trying to tell me that going from ~185whp (the stock 5.0 that was in my car) to ~255whp (306) doesn't yield any acceleration difference? rofl

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Source from : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-PQca6FJU

ZR1 rated at 638bhp/604lbft
Deliverd 505/494 at the wheels.

That's a HUGE loss, that's what? 130 bhp? You've lost a Ford Mondeo engine worth of power.. crazy

That's a 21% drivetrain loss, definitely not unheard of (505/638 = 0.79). The S2000 dyno chart that I previously posted shows 193rwhp at peak. Divide that by 240 and you get 0.8. That's a 20% drivetrain loss. Also, just for fun, lets account for a 20% drivetrain loss on my 240rwhp dyno sheet. The answer is 288bhp. So what was that about me trying to make my engine seem more powerful, when in fact, the numbers are one in the same?

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Who knows the mileage of that S2000. I saw Top Gear recently with Hammonds own "classic" (decent ones!) Mustang, supposedly producing something like 230 when new, and when dyno'd it was producing like 175 or something. Now I very much doubt that when new the car had much more than 175bhp. Only an unhealthy engine with clogged injectors/carbs, poor spark plugs, knackered piston rings, etc, will produce less power. And trust me less power would be the least of your issues if you had an engine in a state to have it affect output.

It's 5am so I understand what I've just written may be a little hard to follow. Basically, your engine isn't going to be significantly less powerful just because it's done XXXXXX miles.

Some mileage is good for hp, but you don't seriously think that an engine is running at optimum power after 155,000 miles, do you? It really differs from case to case, honestly. Some cars will lose compression, others wont...stuff like that. Just depends.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Back to the S2000, the fact is it's a 2L 4cyl, it's smaller than half the size and has half the cylinders. Who says there's no replacement for displacement? I call it vtec. And it just kicked in yo!

Too bad VTEC doesn't provide any torque.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :

2-3 tenths of a second is a door to door race and can be easily be affected by a slightly bad shift, altitude difference, weather conditions, etc. Lots of variables; so like I said, the winner of such a race will vary.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Did it hurt your ickle 306's feelings? Are you huggling it in a blanky and kissing it better?

Nope, don't have to. It feels better every time it annihilates a snobby hotshot driving a 4cyl.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
All throughout you've been going on about "blah blah you can't go faster for cheaper". Your car standard would be dreadful. Even after you've put bolt on parts from magazines that say it will make it go faster, it can still only JUST about keep up with a 2 litre convertible. It's pathetic.

The 14.6 was with the stock 5.0. After the so called "boltons" (since when are things such as forged pistons considered boltons, anyway?), my car is set up to lay waste to the aforementioned 2 litre convertable for FAR less money and without that extra 20 years of technology advancement. How pathetic.

And btw, I didn't get my setup from a magazine, I got it from the experience of tried and true combinations - combos used very often in the real world, not in magazine tests.
Quote from kingcars :
The 14.6 was with the stock 5.0. After the so called "boltons" (since when are things such as forged pistons considered boltons, anyway?), my car is set up to lay waste to the aforementioned 2 litre convertable for FAR less money and without that extra 20 years of technology advancement. How pathetic.

lol, S2000 isnt build to be a drag car, its built to handle good, something it detroys your car in
Quote from kingcars :How about you enlighten us, Oh Master of Car Knowledge :rolleyes:

The bits where you tried to discuss the merits of engine layouts, but completely misunderstood stroke lengths. The bits where James shows how little he understands about gearing (re: overdrives, close ratios etc). The bit where you both show how little you know about power and torque, how it's measured and what they do. How both of you are comparing cars, yet don't understand what you are trying to compare (re: torque/power curves). Where James thinks that all markets what specific output, and when both use approximations and then say approximations are bad (it's not a 5.4, it's a 5.0; it does rev over 5.5k, I took it to 6 once; etc). When either of you use phrases like "Properly Sorted Chassis" without having the first idea what it means. When James says tyres only improve grip, not handling (despite claiming the exact opposite in the motorbikes thread, where he also demonstrated his extreme ignorance of all things technical). James' lack of comprehension of carburettors, mechanisms and electrics/electronics). Phrases like "Pure Power". Trying to brag over who's been in the quickest car. James demonstrating he's never been in an American car by commenting on the interior build quality of 'most of them'. Relying on silly image links or schoolgirl stuff like "GTFO" as a retort (James did that in the other thread too). Fast acceleration, eh? I never knew speed could be used to quantify the rate of change of speed. Using Chassis Sharing as an example of crapness, whilst forgetting that the Europeans do it even more... Claiming that American engines are rubbish because of a rolling road readout, yet totally failing to understand what he's trying to compare...

I could go on...

You're both way out of your depth. James more so. And I know you think your real name is Jamie, but as Jamie is short for James I'll stick with James.

The car wars thread!
(139 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG