The online racing simulator
A lot of ??? about suspension, I can't get the right setup
hi everyone, I'm trying to make a setup for [CAD] DEsctruction race (its pretty fun with 15 people of more). But the thing is with all the jump and bumps and everything it get really hard to complete 2 laps without having any of the four suspension busted (red bar or just plainly uncontrollable).

I tried giving the car (rb4) full ride height, it helped but not soo much.
someone told me not to put the stiffness to the max, this kind of help, because when the car hit the jump (in their bl1 layout (which is full of lawlz by the way) ) It land flat on the four wheel at the same time, reducing the suspension damage, even though it is still damaging it. I don't know if low tire pressure is going to help (do tire absorb part of the energi in lfs?).

also handling is not important in this case, I just want my rb4 to stay driveable for 2 laps.

thanks

ps: I uploaded the setup, it is miserable. I'm begging for help
Attached files
RB4_JUMP.set - 132 B - 963 views
i have this problem on one of my autocross tracks... i tried low stiffness, high bump damping and medium rebound damping... it's not perfect, but it's a little better... but it also depends on how you land too... if you don't land straight, one wheel will take more beating than the others.

maybe bob will chime in with some pointers...
#3 - kaynd
As I see you aim for the highest amount of suspension travel which is in the right direction but is only one part of what you need.
The other part is suspension movement. You need just enough stiffness so the suspension will only just not bottom out after a big jump. You have to use all that suspension travel to absorb that momentum the car's weight produces against the ground when falling.
If your suspension is too hard, so it's not far from hitting the bump stops right away, talking about damage after the impact.

But anyway keep in mind that no setup will make your car indestructible, I am talking about how to have less damage.
It is usual in many layouts with obstacles, eg when hitting ramps with not the right angle, you end up with almost immediately destroyed suspension. There is no setup that can prevent that.

I have attached the setup you gave with some changes to give an example.

[edit] added improved soft2 setup. Less damage for high speed jumps
Attached files
RB4_JUMP_soft.set - 132 B - 1005 views
RB4_JUMP_soft2.set - 132 B - 985 views
all of the travel you can have, go off of the biggest jump, and have the suspension just about to bottom out, then it is perfect, have damping to jump, land (bound) after-shock (re-bound) then no more suspension movement except for cornering for perfect movement, after you ajust damping you may need to loosen your suspension a little. anti roll keep low for the incase you land on only 1 wheel at a time you want independant suspension.

keep both damping settings near each other, and half throttle at begginning of jump, then full throttle just as you are going off the jump, and off throttle until you are on the ground...i am not positive this will work.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG