The online racing simulator
Problem with Engine
(22 posts, started )
Problem with Engine
Guys,

I quite new to LFS (around 15 days).
I did my first race 2 days ago and I was driving the RB4 on AS2.
The race was 74 laps. I did the first 24 (I started with 30% fuel) where I've averaged 1:15. Then I pitted (without changing tyres) on the 24 lap and I added 30% (so I should have had something like 30%-35%) and I could not get belong 1:18 for 12 laps (I did not do huge mistakes). I just felt that the engine had less power, as I could not reach anymore the same speed/gears as before my pit.

I realized that before the pit my clutch (using F9) was a bit red but after the pit it became orange.

Is this due to the pit limiter? Seems like my laps are too fast for it, no?

Should I include the replay for someone to have a look?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you overheated the clutch, that would explain the lack of power. Be careful and lift off when shifting.
#3 - HVS5b
Nothing to do with pit limiter, there isn't one on the RB4.

Could be that your tyres cooled during the pit and you were unable to heat them back up again for a while?

Or quite possibly engine damage/fuel load combination?
Red clutch = very bad. It slips noticeably when orange, too.

Do you use autoclutch?

Could be engine damage too from downshifting too aggressively. It is easy to miss the change in engine sound as it is rather subtle, and there is no "meter" for it like there is for clutch.

It could also be your pedals, maybe they don't hit their max values
#5 - amp88
Quote from jimmy44 :Should I include the replay for someone to have a look?

Yes, without the replay we can only offer possible answers.
Guys, I have a mpr of 11MB, how can I cut it?

Thanks!
Quote from jimmy44 :Guys, I have a mpr of 11MB, how can I cut it?

Thanks!

I don't think that's possible
just upload the whole mpr
Guys, the problem is that when I try to upload a mpr file, it says the limit is 1.95 MB ...
Is there any way to upload the file in parts?

Thanks!
Just upload it to rapidshare, megaupload, or some other site where you can upload your files. And paste download link here.
I have an idea, it may be that, since you thought the rb4 has a limiter, when you drove down the pitlane, did you leave it in 2nd and just max the revs all the way? because that's not a limiter, that's engine damage.
If you have WinZip/WinRar you can split the 11MB MPR file into several 1.95MB archives then upload each of those separately.
Just tell me was there any bad downshifts? Like e.g. from 3 gear to 2 gear revs wen up to 11 but the red line is at 9. it means engine overlaped or somthing it makes the car slower. and when ever you drive at 120 kmh you can hear noise out of engine
Quote from james_bskt :I have an idea, it may be that, since you thought the rb4 has a limiter, when you drove down the pitlane, did you leave it in 2nd and just max the revs all the way? because that's not a limiter, that's engine damage.

Nope, you could drive around bouncing off the rev limiter until you ran out of petrol if you wanted to and it would not do any damage to the engine at all.

The only way to damage the engine in LFS is to over rev it by changing down too early, not by hitting the limiter.
Sounds like you pop corned your engine
maybe you are focused at the begginning of the race, and try real hard, you pit, relax for the couple seconds it takes, and then you are un focused to the race, and are relaxed instead of being alert.

either way, try to keep the clutch temp down
As you came into the pits on lap 23 you shifted down suddenly from 3rd to first, overevving the engine, which caused permanent engine damage. Always make sure you keep the engine revs below the redline, by not changing down too quickly.
nice catch
Quote from DaveWS :As you came into the pits on lap 23 you shifted down suddenly from 3rd to first, overevving the engine, which caused permanent engine damage. Always make sure you keep the engine revs below the redline, by not changing down too quickly.

Actually, I remember now that I had unfortunately changed down gear instead of up at that moment ... I didn't thought, however, that would have done instant permanent engine damage.
Thanks a lot for the help!
I love how LFS is like that and I love how you can hear it sounds damaged. Struggles and pops and crackles like a blown gasket.

Can't wait until full realistic engine damage is modelled.
+1, among many other things we all hope for in the near future.

Problem with Engine
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG