The online racing simulator
Car/Track Mods...
(12 posts, started )
Car/Track Mods...
Hi racers,

I need to get this straight, as i'm not sure about the rules on the forums/LFS at all...

with modifications,are we allowed to use them online and single player without getting banned, or posting images using mods?

We only get banned if we post the link to the actual mod, am i correct?

Please don't take this as to say i'm running mods... because i am not, at the moment
Here the modding rules:

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11762

And the EULA:

http://www.lfsforum.net/privacy.htm

Quote :4) Any "mods" - modifications to the Live for Speed exe, must be discussed with a moderator before being released on the forum. If a mod is approved by a moderator, it may then be released in the appropriate section of the forum. Please do not contact a developer as we do not support mods and do not have the time to deal with them. Any mods which change the shape of a car model, or which allow online cheating or circumvent HLVC, will be rejected.

BANG!
Quote from tinky winky :We only get banned if we post the link to the actual mod, am i correct?

You won't get banned for posting mods (unless you start making a habit of it). We do understand that not everyone is always aware of all the rules. Normally removing the offending post and dropping a reminder PM proves sufficient to get the point across.

About images, we would much prefer if you only posted images of clearly allowable or approved mods (to the extent that such images will be removed).
#4 - SamH
Just to add to what Bob said, if I'm sure that someone knows that what they're doing is against the rules, I won't hesitate in banning them from the forum for posting an illegal mod. Posting screenshots of modded content, knowingly, will also earn a temporary ban. It's up to Bob if he wants to be more lenient but I'm not interested in entering into any kind of dancing around the rules, pushing boundaries etc. I don't have time for that and if someone isn't going to respect the devs' wishes, I'm not pulling punches.
#5 - STF
I love this "good cop/bad cop" attitude.

Imo the privacy.htm mod rules should be updated, because frankly, aside from a dev post stating "screenshots of modded cars" are not allowed, i can`t see it anywhere else.
#6 - Bean0
More greyness - It states the .exe.

Quote :Any "mods" - modifications to the Live for Speed exe

Also, what about skins ?

Skins for the dubious cars might fit the standard ones better than some of the MSPainted monstrosities that are on here anyway.
Quote from SamH :I'm not interested in entering into any kind of dancing around the rules, pushing boundaries etc

Just to be clear, there is no diagreement on that content that is against the rulres must be removed from the forums, it's just the level of punishment delivered to the user that is more subjective.

Quote from Bean0 :More greyness - It states the .exe.

This covers directly hex edit the .exe file on your hard drive, or dynamically modify it when it's loaded in memory (like various lfstweak apps and my mods), as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from Bean0 :Also, what about skins ?

I don't think we should be allowing supporting content for a non-permitted mod, even if that content would be otherwise ok.
just exactly why isnt bodymodding allowed? i dont really get it, if someone wants a car with bodykit, downloads it and uses, whats the harm?
Quote from batteryy :just exactly why isnt bodymodding allowed? i dont really get it, if someone wants a car with bodykit, downloads it and uses, whats the harm?

I don't even know how far people can push some mods without the right tools cause i seen an VOB hack with someone changed the car shape completely from what i knew could be changed.

EDIT: that VOB was done with someone changing the fzr shape to a Renault cilo sport

Edit: Removed attachment - were you not reading the posts in this thread? Not allowed! - Bob
Quote from batteryy :just exactly why isnt bodymodding allowed? i dont really get it, if someone wants a car with bodykit, downloads it and uses, whats the harm?

The fact that,
a. most of them are done badly,
b. if they change the car's dimensions, the physical model still stays, so driving online with others will cause miscalculations and probably epic crashes.
I have seen some screenies of the clio's, one based on the FZR and one based on the XF cars, and they do look quite well done, although yeah, most other attempts do look fairly crappy.

I would post screenies or a link to show what i mean, but i value my ability to post here
-
(mutt107) DELETED by SamH : Ask in PM, not in the thread dammit
Quote from batteryy :whats the harm?

If someone replaces an original LFS car body with an illegal modified body and makes a skin for the new body, all the people who obey the rules set in license agreement see a messy skin on the familiar body. And, allegedly, changing the body shape also affects crash physics, so it'll directly affect the gameplay.

Car/Track Mods...
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG