The online racing simulator
Autopilot?
(22 posts, started )
#1 - 128MB
Autopilot?
Hi,

I got this vage idea when i read the strobe lights thread.

Could it be possible to make a program like the strobe light thing but, letting the program control throttle, brake and steering?

Like you have to record your movements (axis x, y, z+, y- etc ...)
and the program repeats it so the car drives itself?
or input all the commands like the strobe lights program.
-
(Tomasevich) DELETED by Tomasevich
#2 - 128MB
Quote from Tomasevich :There are mouse scripting programs you can use for this. Search for Ghostmouse on google and download it. You record a mouse sequence and then you can have it repeat endlessly.

If you are trying to use this for a cruise server to level up faster, bear in mind that if anyone touches your car or is in teh way of your car, the script will continue to run, regardless of where the car is going. Also, most cruise servers have scripts in the insim that autoban people using scripts.

i know, if i get hit by another car i could crash and the car would run wildly across the track
Then why limit the usage of the above mentioned to cruise servers? Why not use it to race for you. You can get the inputs directly from the wr's.

Quote from hyntty :Then why limit the usage of the above mentioned to cruise servers? Why not use it to race for you. You can get the inputs directly from the wr's.

DONT MAKE ME GOOGLE FOR THAT!
but wouldn't say tyre wear/wreaking make this useless ?? you can go so long before you burst your tyres... ( 1-4 laps for me )
#6 - amp88
There are so many ways an autopilot could go wrong. If you do successfully make a system that can repeatedly perform very similar laptimes without crashing I'll be very much surprised. You've got to remember that there's a degree of randomness in the system. If you perform the exact same inputs 2 laps in a row you are not guaranteed to get the same results. Tyre temperature, fuel level, the way the suspension reacts when you hit a kerb etc. The autopilot would have to compensate in some way to how the car was reacting but it would be a massive challenge to make this unless you had access to the AI of LFS.
Quote from theirishnoob :but wouldn't say tyre wear/wreaking make this useless ?? you can go so long before you burst your tyres... ( 1-4 laps for me )

You program it to make e.g. 100 laps with pitstops
/facepalm

This thing would ruin LFS. Leave the autopilot thingy for GTR2, rSucktor and their alikes.
Quote from Shadowww :You program it to make e.g. 100 laps with pitstops

+ you could adjust the steering inputs to be dealyed by some tenths of seconds. That way the the tyres wouldn't melt under wr guidance
You wont be able to make it work effectively and consistantly using LFSstrobes. You'd have to time the start exactly the same each time and then one slight bump from another driver or a different wind setting and the autopilot would be driving wrong very quickly.

You would have to write a program using insim (client sided) to monitor your car's location and where it is supposed to be. You could use the track path files to visualize the course for correct inputs required at any given point. You could even get it to recognize cars close by and avoid them, drive around them and be intelligent, even pass and be competitive. Depends how long you want to spend doing it really. You'd have to program in each cars abilities so the program knew how hard to 'push' the car for the approaching racing line curve.

Would be a good resume if you were going for a job for BMW or something as a car-autopilot programmer/developer.

Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes from Scawen's posts..
"It's hard to program cars that drive as good as you"

It sux Having a full time job already sometimes.
Before I found my final masters degree subject (traffic simulator) I WAS thinking about autopilot for cruise servers - while driving slow, current car direction could be calculated from previous positions exactly.

So there you go: you have direction, position. Drop in a fixed line for a robot to follow and you have an autopilot. Problem was that there isn't enough "academic" thingies to put there so I dropped the idea.

But it is quite easy to do.

look here http://rapidshare.com/files/24 ... 2/TrafficSym_pre.rar.html (.net 2.0 required) - made a simple "follow line" ai some time ago (just steer it to nearest road using WASD)

In conclusion, learn to program and try to make program like this - you will be amazed how easy it is to make

hehe, JJ - good point... good point...
I made program that steer car to the line what I had drove. It's work but when I enable throttle and brake emulate program sometimes accelerate on turns and car drift. It's not easy to make. I made program in 2 months in C++
i'd like to say that this is just an idea i suddenly came up with from seeing a topgear video.

i love lfs to race and cruise, i never had 1 day without having fun with lfs.
oh wow Tommy, that is cool simulator. Junctions and slow areas.
Wicked man.

Can you imagine how fun it would be to write an auto-pilot to avoid other cars and just drive and drive?

Drive a around the layout, saving the correct place to drive, (don't use LFS track path file) make your own. Cruise server's have keep right/left so racing line isn't relevant.

Traffic detection and avoidance. Would be funny to watch. Ahh to have free time again. ~.~

Post#2 He mentioned that Cruise servers detect auto-pilot scripts... I mean wow.. srsly...so deffo not.

Quote from misiek08 :I made program that steer car to the line what I had drove. It's work but when I enable throttle and brake emulate program sometimes accelerate on turns and car drift. It's not easy to make. I made program in 2 months in C++

That sounds awesome. All the power to you dude.
Well my idea was to implement cellular automata - lattice gas and steer the car with the current of the gas flow (so one wouldn't have to draw lines or areas but make some kind of walls to direct the gas flow). But idea proved to be great while simulating lots of cars, not one
The rapidshare link doesn't work, and any chance you are willing to share your auto pilot?

EDIT: rapishare says: This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.
Confirmed here. The rapidcrap link is dead.

I wouldn't download it really though...
If anyone is interested, here is final version of my program made for master degree:
http://sigma.univ.gda.pl/~tsulkows/TrafficSym.rar

It uses technology mentioned earlier - works good
To run it you need probably this: http://www.microsoft.com/downl ... 799EF2&displaylang=en (xna libs - directx addon for .net)

User cannot do much when the app is running - select one car and steer it a bit with cursors, ai does the rest. press "1" to see maps generated with LBM.

Documentry on how to create a whole new junction would take few pages (lots of file manipulation) of description, so take it only as a demo

Back to topic: drop in lfs map, set xml file properly, add a lfs<->trafficsym interface (tricky part) and voila, you just got yourself an autopilot
#21 - kdo
i would like to see how it work, so if someone can upload again the files...

thanks
It is not worth it it's just a sample app showing traffic simulation and first is an example of "follow the line" algorithm.

They do not work with LFS in any way

Autopilot?
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG