The online racing simulator
2009 Kyoto 500 : Rules
Hello Racers !

Attached to this post are the rules for the 2009 running of the Greatest Spectacle in LFS, the Kyoto 500. YOU are responsible for knowing the rules. You don't have to have them memorized, just know them enough to get on well.

Please post questions, comments, or issues found with the rules here.

Major points: NO BUMPDRAFTING. R2 TYRES ONLY

d
Attached files
2009Kyoto500Rules.pdf - 159.6 KB - 668 views
Unfortunately I wont be able to make this event!

But seriously Deko, 270 laps more or less running R2s, well best of luck with that is all I can say gg. Sure its going to be fun for spectators to watch so many drivers, smoking their tires in T3 after 15 laps with
100%-+ fuel and 20kph wind speeds lol. Wish I could watch that!

Might want to consider R3 tires instead for a safer race

Good luck with the Event
Quote from lamerr :Unfortunately I wont be able to make this event!

But seriously Deko, 270 laps more or less running R2s, well best of luck with that is all I can say gg. Sure its going to be fun for spectators to watch so many drivers, smoking their tires in T3 after 15 laps with

Good luck with the Event

weren't you in the 200 lap event last year on R2s, where I failed hardly because of using a R4 setup where I just changed the tyres? Or in the other one? It was a (FM) + [NDR] Event

however, we've got no problems with smoking tyres in T3 after 15 laps... my longest run was 40 laps, without chrash, where I could set decent (compared to my level) times.
Additionally, don't forget that there will be cautions (though I 'd like to hope the opposite).

I think I should do a promotion run with r2s to show you that it works... to be seen soon on youtube, or at least on LFSW.

Btw: Do you want to take part on this topic in the LFSCART discussion here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=57019 ?
what will V.4.f (or 5.4.f) mean? there is a gap? special surprise rule?
Quote from TFalke55 :what will V.4.f (or 5.4.f) mean? there is a gap? special surprise rule?

Oh, no, just me being daft. I'll fix it tonight

d
Ya mate I have been running 200 lapper races with R2`s, but the problem is not when you are driving on your own, problem starts when you are racing with +2 cars and you get slipstream, then your tires will cock and burn, but nevertheless its a good challenge for those participating.

I remember several drivers shooting big smoke from the front right in turn 3 and loosing lots of time that way, so that should make the KY 500 even more interesting, but ya more unsafe i reckon..
I have posted my thoughts, and will continue to do so if it turns into a huge discussion in the link offered higher up in this thread.
#8 - wild
Will there be wind in any of the sessions Deko?
Quote from wild :Will there be wind in any of the sessions Deko?

I see no reason to not have wind on occasion.

may I know the reasone why must use R2 only?
Quote from scania :may I know the reasone why must use R2 only?

To make it a damn sight more interesting than 500 miles of hotlapping and drafting.
I can't watch Indy 500, but is that ordinary to have 18 stints in a race?
Quote from scania :I can't watch Indy 500, but is that ordinary to have 18 stints in a race?

Ermm....if you have to have 18 stints, I would think that's more bad driving. One of the 190 lappers R2s-only I did, a couple made it all 190 laps (with some decently long green flag runs) without massive tyre issues. At most, I can see two or three pitstops, maybe 5. But you need to work on your setup and driving style to make them last longer.

They CAN be made to last more than 15-20 laps.

From what I've noticed, they'll get really hot around the 15 lap mark for a bit either side. Then if you treat them well in that period, they'll start to even out and cool some. It's all about managing them. Strategy. Use the free practices and practice races to try and make them last longer.

d
I would point out something obvious to the experienced drivers, but perhaps a point that inexperienced oval users would not think of immediately...

Steer as slowly and smoothly as you possibly can. If you are throwing the car into the corners, rather than attempting to glide around the corners, you will burn up your tires.

I drove 50 laps just see what would happen and my front right never got above 127. If during the practice tomorrow you see your front right going beyond 140 you are simply driving the car badly.

Obviously when drafting expect a little more heat.
I realy dont wont to say anything bad , I tried to draiving r2 to see how many laps they last, I must to admit I dont belive to they wil last 30 laps but I was wrong.
With race set 40% fuel , no tyres changes, 49 laps stint , refuel another 40% , and next pit on 97 lap- same thing- refuel without tyres changes , on 110 lap cold green tyres , then the windows 7 decide to cut me off , sending my lfs on the superbar , because some stupid question abaut safety....
Exept first lap , inlaps and outlaps to hardcore pitting ewery single laps was below 37,5x, this is inside 102% from wr.
My tyre changes was set on 90% , the front tyre cold down from 136 to 115 Celzius.
R2 is working wery fine !

On this track you shall be yourself the biggest enemy , your capabiliti to pushing gas two and half hours . Your legs and your chair where you sitting will be your nightmare on this race!
Rules have had a bit of an update. Key sections are a new SC restart procedure, and addition on blue flags.

I am not going to put in anything about how to overtake. That's up to driver's own intelligence. On a restart, and the laps right after when the field is starting to spread out, overtaking on the outside should be considered inevitable, and an eye kept out for. Keep an eye out on all sides of your car, and try your damndest to avoid collisions.

Oval racing is about self-preservation, and risk management. To be in a position to be there in the end, you need to take risks, but not take senseless ones. You don't have to be at the front all day to win, just keep on the lead lap and you'll have a chance. Last year's 500 winner is a testament to this. Working with another car, using the draft, is critical. Don't shun someone because they're not someone you know. If they know what they're doing, use them. If they don't get someone else. Learn two- and three-car drafting. Learn to drive in turbulent car formations, such as on the start, and on restarts.

The start WILL be chaotic. 30 cars, in rows of three ? Yes, we're a bit nuts. But it's part of the spectacle of this event. It's not going to change. Learn to deal with it. Use your heads, and life will go well.

Safety Car behaviour needs work. I can't make you behave how you need to behave, you need to do it yourselves. Sudden moves under SC are what cause the incidents. Learn to leave space and be patient under pace car. You can't make time under Pace Cars, but you can sure as hell lose it.

d
The new restart thing is reduculous, dangerous, and unrealistic.

To successfully handbrake turn around the pit wall without crashing, I'm gonna have to be going about 40mph at the most, and with the other cars tailgating me at 80mph, there's gonna be a massive pile up.

I propose this:

I pull away at full throttle at the start of the final caution lap, and then the racers start accelerating at a marker placed between T1 and T2, at which time I will be safely on (or entering, clear of T2) the pit apron and well out of the way.
I thought I was driving that damned thing?

... In which case I cba to care, I'll say "SHIT, brb" and disappear when the moment comes.
Quote from JO53PHS :The new restart thing is reduculous, dangerous, and unrealistic.

To successfully handbrake turn around the pit wall without crashing, I'm gonna have to be going about 40mph at the most, and with the other cars tailgating me at 80mph, there's gonna be a massive pile up.

I propose this:

I pull away at full throttle at the start of the final caution lap, and then the racers start accelerating at a marker placed between T1 and T2, at which time I will be safely on (or entering, clear of T2) the pit apron and well out of the way.

The Indy Racing League does this perfectly fine. So your point is not considered. You don't handbrake turn. If you do, I remove you as the SC driver. You'll proceed onto the pit apron, and do a pair of U-Turns to head to your crib. It is NOT dangerous, providing all drivers are aware that the SC will be pulling off at that point. I showed how this would work to Jackson and Falke, and explained it. So there is no issue here.

It will be practiced during SCDs at the rest of the sessions.

Ellis, your proposal is rejected.

d
Quote from dekojester :I showed how this would work to Jackson and Falke, and explained it. So there is no issue here.

Can you show me too then..?

So do I pull onto the pit apron, do a 3 point turn driving test stylee, and then head to where I'm parking?
Quote from lamerr :Unfortunately I wont be able to make this event!

Good luck with the Event

This with 100 % fuel is the stupidist idea I heard here.
I dont wont to comment , just say that if you are wont to be in race all the times than nobady will drive with more than 45% off fuel.
#22 - Ori
Quote from dekojester :The Indy Racing League does this perfectly fine.

a suggestion by your unworthy underling:

it is better to focus on rationality rather than on IRL, which, depending on different factors, has proper or shitty reglements.
Quote from Ki-Men :This with 100 % fuel is the stupidist idea I heard here.
I dont wont to comment , just say that if you are wont to be in race all the times than nobady will drive with more than 45% off fuel.

It' just because we know there will be slow periods behind safe cars, but if you could guarantee long stretches of 2 car drafting you would definitely want a lot of fuel, the tyres will last with a decent set.

Like I said because of safety car periods it may well not be worth carrying the extra weight as safety car periods are quite economical. In the practice session last Friday I had enough fuel in order to do all 45 laps at full speed without stopping. With the safety car periods I only used around half the fuel I was carrying, but can you take that chance in the big race.

It's just something else to consider and hopefully it is what will make the race great, strategies with fuel may well play a big part.
Quote from Ori :a suggestion by your unworthy underling:

it is better to focus on rationality rather than on IRL, which, depending on different factors, has proper or shitty reglements.

I see nothing irrational with this regulation. Point it out, I might understand then.

But sorry mate, I see nothing irrational about this. It will help spread the field a bit better, and should help reduce the risk of crashes on restarts because of the "well-placed" bend on the main straight. Overall, this should make things safer. Worried about a leader jump starting ? That's why the restart can be waved off and try it again.
#25 - Ori
sorry should have been more precise: i meant it in genral. i was not referring to this safety-car regulation. i meant we should make use of the freedom to form that we have and choose rationality over desperately trying to copy IRL.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG