The online racing simulator
computer freezes
(26 posts, started )
computer freezes
I just reinstalled windows and i reinstalled lfs and it keeps crashing, never happened before, any one any idea why this is happening,?
#2 - Vain
Definitely magnetic interference from the battery in the clock on the wall.

No, honest:
Would you provide more informations please? What are your system specifications? What operating system are you using? Which LFS version? How many USB devices do you have? How does LFS crash? When does LFS crash? Do other games crash?

Vain
Have you changed anything in your BIOS? loaded all the correct motherboard drivers? did you format the drive prior to reinstalling the OS ?

More info please

SD.
I'd love to help but it will be extremely hard for anyone to help you not being there with you. This type of problem could be caused by a plethora of different things.

Is it only LFS that crashes or windows itself?
hi
amd athlon 1.6 768 mb 40gb harddrive, usb2 only using 1 port for my wheel, just downloaded lfs_s2_alpha_Q.zip, it sometimes crashes when im in the lfs menu and when im driving, even when im watcing a1 cars its crashing. Its only started since i reinstalled windows xp hope edition. I hope thats enough, I took the clock of the wall made no difference.lol
its only lfs that crashes which causes every thing else to crash, needing a restart.
Next time it does it press CTRL+ALT+Delete and look at the performance tab. See if the processor is running at 100%. If it is, see which process is using all the processor and end the application.

Does that un-freeze the machine?
when it crashes the computer freezes and the only thing i can do is restart the computer. Cant even get around the track.
#9 - Vain
You didn't say wether you followed Gentlefoot's advice.

Vain
So CTRL-ALT-Delete doesn't even work? Sometimes you need to be a bit patient and wait for a few seconds. If it does nothing for more than a minute then I guess it probably has frozen completely.

If you're experiencing the kind of crash where it really does halt completely like that then it will almost certainly be a problem relating to a fundamental component of the machine i.e. board, memory or processor. That's not to say it can't be hardware related software settings.

Do you have a restore cd from the vendor? Did you use it to re-install windows?

To be honest mate I think I'm gonna struggle to help you here. Do you have any mates who know anything about windows and hardware. Someone really needs to be able to come to the machine and sort the problem
im getting the feeling that it could be a directx problem on grahpics and sound, what do u think, ?
Well, with a Windows reinstall there comes also the driver reinstall. Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX / GFX / Sound drivers installed.
i did notice that the sound was crashing so ill try updating all drivers
im getting this, please type the location where you want to place the extracted files. i/e directx, im not sure were to put them!
just create a new folder on your desktop then extract to there (you can delete this after installation)

SD.
installed a directx file but made no difference, i need a break before i get mad.
Well, GFX and sound drivers next...

I hope you know that DirectX is neither of both?
May I ask why you reinstalled windows ? and are you sure you havnt been in the bios or in the side of the pc?

have a look in device manager to see if there are any yellow marks.

if reinstalled from the recovery disc then I think this could be cpu overheating (dry/old thermal pad or incorrect bios setting) but who knows yet

SD.
i reinstalled due to viruses, i did get rid of them but my commputer was slowing down so i decided to do a reinstall, i have not touched the bios, other games run fine just lfs is crashing. pain in the ars.
#20 - Vain
Does LFS crash on startup? Does it crash when selecting a car? Does it crash while loading the track? Does it crash during driving? How long does it take to crash?

Vain
dxsdk_feb2006 down loading this file. well it starts up ok, some times in menu it crashed and when driving, say on blackwood i get to the turning before the pits and it freezes
also my cpu temp is at 43c and the highest it goes is around 46c. just thought id ad that.
Its a sound card problem, its a new card i suppose its the drivers so ive updated them, im in the prosses of updating graphics card drivers.
Im clad you people are here and give good advise
Quote from jjones :Its a sound card problem, its a new card i suppose its the drivers so ive updated them

So you have found the prob? soundcard drivers?
ahhh you have been in the side of the PC then

hope you get your(PC's) stability back .

SD.
well i had to change the harddrive,

computer freezes
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG