The online racing simulator
Competitive Driving
(43 posts, started )
Competitive Driving
Hello. I'm looking for input from some good drivers here. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to drive competitively and cleanly when racing really close behind another car. My problem is that I cannot stand using 3rd person view because I'm not a huge fan of the remote-control car feeling. I generally use the in-car view or the front bumper view. This makes knowing where I am on the track very difficult. So, how do others manage this situation without just backing way off, or slamming into the guy in front because you can't see the braking point? I love racing really close but this one issue is driving me mad because I end up having to back way off and make either quick risky inside passes or n00bish draft passes on straights. Thanks in advance.
-(AW)88Amped
Have you turned the mirrows on? There also are buttons to look left/right, to get some input where the others are.
I use chase cam and sounds to navigate through the minefield
Quote from The Very End :Have you turned the mirrows on? There also are buttons to look left/right, to get some input where the others are.
I use chase cam and sounds to navigate through the minefield

I'm talking about when following close BEHIND another driver. Mirrors and left/right view dont help much there.
Ah I see.. Well, my suggest is to just give them more room than needed before braking points and in turns, that's what I do. Sooner or later they'll do a mistake and you can pass. Allways anoys me when people goes right into my tail when braking, or hiting me in corners, just be on a safe distance and make an attack when you clearly enters a corner with higher speed or when he loses much speed in a corner.

How to actually know the distance to the car in front is hard, maybe try playing around with custom cameras and see if there is a veiw that works better than others, and sitll is in wheel/cockpit mode?
A lot of people are unaware than if you're following someone closely into a heavy braking area then you will hit them if you both use the same braking point.
For example, a tenth of a second might be 2 car lengths at 150mph, but it might be less than 1 at 35mph, so as a following car you have to brake earlier (in terms of distance from the corner) than the car in front does if you wish to simply follow them.
#6 - GabbO
Quote from 88Reasons :I'm talking about when following close BEHIND another driver.

Man, YOU have to know how long the nose of your car is...
What do you do if you have to park in between two cars? Do you get out to get a "Side View" of the car? No, you know(feel) where your car ends. At least i do.
#7 - STF
When you approach the braking point, close behind another car, also be aware of the reduced braking efficiency.. you have less downforce than him.
Straight "noobish" draft passes are.. the safest.
Quote from GabbO :Man, YOU have to know how long the nose of your car is...
What do you do if you have to park in between two cars? Do you get out to get a "Side View" of the car? No, you know(feel) where your car ends. At least i do.

Widescreen, a FOV of at least 90° and what GabbO said
Quote from marko.sabotin :

Its not a matter of depth perception. Its a matter of not being able to see the next corner because you're so close to the next car all you can see is their rear bumper.
Quote from STF :When you approach the braking point, close behind another car, also be aware of the reduced braking efficiency.. you have less downforce than him.
Straight "noobish" draft passes are.. the safest.

Cannot believe I did not think of that before, good tip. Thx.
Haha, stop beeing rude people

Ok, try two : So you mean you have a problem predicting/cornering when close to other cars, because their cars fat ass is all over screen blocking your veiw?

Try increasing the FOV, by the "5" and "6" button on the keyboard. But you can play with custom cameras too, try testing it out.
If I'm behind a driver I don't know (and so have no idea whether they're likely to brake early, or what line they'll take) I'll always pull out so I'm not directly behind them as we approach the corner. If this doesn't let me overtake after a few corners, the fact that I've been following them for a while which usually give me a bit of insight as to where their braking zone is likely to be.

Know Your Opposition.
Quote from The Very End :Haha, stop beeing rude people

Ok, try to : So you mean you have a problem predicting/cornering when close to other cars, because their cars fat ass is all over screen blocking your veiw?

Try increasing the FOV, by the "5" and "6" button on the keyboard. But you can play with custom cameras too, try testing it out.

Quote from Crashgate3 :If I'm behind a driver I don't know (and so have no idea whether they're likely to brake early, or what line they'll take) I'll always pull out so I'm not directly behind them as we approach the corner. If this doesn't let me overtake after a few corners, the fact that I've been following them for a while which usually give me a bit of insight as to where their braking zone is likely to be.

Know Your Opposition.

Thx to both of you, big help. Gonna try this stuff out.
Good point from sinbad .....

First, if your coming to a turn following close behind someone then you are accepting your following position - unless he does a sloppy turn. So in that case, i usually start rolling off the gas a little before the braking point opening up the space a bit. If the guy ahead messes up a bit then I'm all prepared for a "slow in, fast out" turn cutting to the inside and passing on exit.

In order to "overtake" you must be able to pull mostly beside the lead driver and "claim" the inside line - and then be able to execute the tight inside line without exiting wide into him. Sometimes when approaching a turn in the following position I will setup to the inside of the lead car even though I don't have overlap .... this allows for a pass if the lead driver messes up by braking too early (without ramming him) or too late, and also gives a better view approaching the turn.

In sum, if you are following behind approaching a turn, the only way to pass is to able to take advantage of some mistake (big or small). Back off a little and shoot for a fast exit, or set up to the inside so his possible early braking won't slow you down entering (just be sure to not enter with too much speed for a tight turn).

Of course good racers will make this hard for you by "defensive" driving. A good defensive driver can be quite slower than you but still hold you off ..... if the lead driver sees you might set up inside without overlap, he will claim the inside early as well. Or if you are tight on his rear approaching a turn, he'll ease off the gas early (or even lightly brake early) making your "slow in, fast out" less effective.

"Racing" is not about who can do the fastest lap. The sport in racing is being able to carve different lines thru a turn - not just the optimal "hotlap" line; it is in being able to anticipate behaviors by other drivers and turn them to your advantage. As Crashgate said "know your opposition" ..... also know your limits and abilities.
A post with a lot of truth in it mate, well spoken!

Gives some good advices, and not beeing a wall of text either so most people can manage to read thorugh it all.

Sadly most people don't follow this, and does crazy overtakes, or just retarded defencive moves that wrecks both, but if both follows that rules, a good attacked and a good defender, well then the racing just turns out to be great! Neverthless the position beeing fought over.
Quote from 88Reasons :So, how do others manage this situation without just backing way off, or slamming into the guy in front because you can't see the braking point? I love racing really close but this one issue is driving me mad because I end up having to back way off and make either quick risky inside passes or n00bish draft passes on straights. Thanks in advance.
-(AW)88Amped

Here's a rule I have for myself.

- If I am close enough to slam into the guy in front under braking I am close enough to overtake them unless I consciously decide otherwise.

It appears you are indecisive when behind someone. As they say - indecision is final!
As others have said, give them room before braking points and make sure you always know what's around you by looking in your mirrors and listening for other cars. I most rely on my rear view mirror and my speakers, I can't race without my sound, I just crash into everyone (more than I usually do).
I will go out and 'race' on a track I have not mastered. I those cases I am on track but not really attacking, simply getting used to the line and the car. *

I know I'm ready to race once I have explored every inside, outside, and mid track line for braking markers, turn markers, throttle markers, and exit lines in every corner. Or at least most corners. Really use your peripheral. Don't rely solely on the track in front of you. Take in multiple cues for each track position; trees, ads on walls, curb beginnings and endings, worn grass, crowns in the road, and listen to your engine. Know what too fast is on a given line in a given gear by how high you are revving.

What that means is know the track. If you choose to explore a different line or are forced off your line while dicing, you have the necessary experience to design a good strategy that will loose the least amount of speed in a given corner or section. Don't change your view too much. Find something that works and stick with it. This way your markers are more accurate, predictable.

If I am following someone closely it means a few things. 1) I've raced them before on this track or been behind them long enough that I know their style and speed. I can pretty much drive the same lap. 2) I'm now investigating where they are slower or quicker. 3) I am developing a strategy for where I will surprise them with 'the big move'. 4) I am not going to pass.

In this situation, the one I believe you are referring to, knowing the the line, markers, and speeds is critically important. There is no guessing where the brake marker is or waiting to see when the driver in front brakes. It's all about making well prepared decisions based on the knowledge gained by lots of practice.

That being said, don't feel so alone. We all experience the same thing from time to time. No matter how well we are prepared.

* Which BTW, is my standard mode. I'm not the most aggressive or skilled driver in the pack.
Quote from sinbad :A lot of people are unaware than if you're following someone closely into a heavy braking area then you will hit them if you both use the same braking point.
For example, a tenth of a second might be 2 car lengths at 150mph, but it might be less than 1 at 35mph, so as a following car you have to brake earlier (in terms of distance from the corner) than the car in front does if you wish to simply follow them.

Good point here. It's totally pointless being right on someones backside going into a corner entry if you are not attempting a pass. You will chew your tyres more, you run the risk of getting it marginally wrong (= game over) and also you can only exit as fast as the car infront.

It's a whole lot harder to keep a car behind you than it is to overtake. If you're not going to pass on that turn, don't waste the opportunity in the next turns.

I learnt about the perception on distance on here by watching replays after a race where I thought it was close. You can think you are miles away, but watching from the tv camera angles you will see you're at optimal distance. Also watch the replay from the car infronts perspective.
hahahah
Amped whenever in bumpdrafting you and your big rear end is clogging up my screen i put it into forces view pressing F, this way i can see past your car, though what others have said was helpful too get of the gas a bit earlier and brake a bit earlier cos you have lost some downforce due to drafting.
ok... now i see why you are eating my bumper and then i dont see you anymore.... =P

the same thing that you described happens to me when i am learning to drive a new car. even if i use the virtual line, i must lift off before my braking point... because if i dont it will end up like that SR race... ^^

but if you want to overtake... do as they said above... and try to be unpredictable... the more you are , well.. the better the overtake is..
Great topic
#24 - STF
Quote from STF :clickme .

That's a helpful thread for "hotlapping" but it doesn't deal with the issue(s) that the OP was asking about - how to deal with overtaking/passing/following

@ The Very End - thanks but I know I write better than I drive

@ OP - another suggestion is to spectate some races (and save replay) where there are some very good racers battling closely for position.....sometimes you can almost read their minds .... and learn a lot :eclipsee_

Competitive Driving
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG