The online racing simulator
Not able to concentrate on certain tasks.
(45 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
Does anyone else find it hard to concentrate on school work? I have to catch up on 4 pieces of ICT coursework because I got bored of it and could no longer concentrate on it, so now in the Easter holidays I have been trying to finish it, problem is I can't concentrate on it lol.

I can watch TV or go on various sites on the internet and stay glued to it for ages, but as soon as I have to do work, I just cant concentrate and go off task. I know there are medical type conditions which cause this, which I have, ADHD.

What I am wondering is does anyone have any suggestions that they use to concentrate becuase if I don't finish this work, I wont be able to get into six form.
Well, you could smash the computer and tv screens with a hammer, but that's probably only a short term solution. I guess you could try music, but some people work with with it, while others don't.
#3 - J@tko
Normally I would just do whatever work I had to do off the computer, but its IT

If the interwebs are the issue [my problem too :P I should be working now ] then turn off/disconnect your modem, and don't turn it back on until you've finished
the stop sign really left it's mark
I'm currently exactly on the same situation : I've thumbs of homeworks for Monday, but absolutely no motivation to do them. I noticed that the more I have, the less you can be concentrated. Sometimes I've to work at ridiculous hours the night before the day I've to give an essay or something just because I wasn't able to do them before.

I heard somewhere that these symptoms have a scientific term to design them, but I can't recall it.

I still don't have a good and definitive solution about this, but I noticed that going outside and riding bike(or whatever) for one or two hours can help a bit.

So... Good luck.
Just do it. If I ever have trouble concentrating, I just stop thinking about trying to concentrate and I just do the work. The worst thing to do is put it down and try and pick it back up later, that makes it even worse.
#7 - J@tko
#8 - sam93
Quote from J@tko :Normally I would just do whatever work I had to do off the computer, but its IT

If the interwebs are the issue [my problem too :P I should be working now ] then turn off/disconnect your modem, and don't turn it back on until you've finished

If I disconnected my modem I would only go and connect it back up again, may get one of the parents to take away my wifi dongle at the weekend, that may help lol.
Quote from sam93 :Does anyone else find it hard to concentrate on school work? I have to catch up on 4 pieces of ICT coursework because I got bored of it and could no longer concentrate on it, so now in the Easter holidays I have been trying to finish it, problem is I can't concentrate on it lol.

I can watch TV or go on various sites on the internet and stay glued to it for ages, but as soon as I have to do work, I just cant concentrate and go off task. I know there are medical type conditions which cause this, which I have, ADHD.

What I am wondering is does anyone have any suggestions that they use to concentrate becuase if I don't finish this work, I wont be able to get into six form.

When I was in school the best thing to do when I absolutely had to finish something was to get as far away from the computer as possible. If I was anywhere near a computer, chances are I'd get distracted.

Unfortunately now at work I have to do everything on a computer. So it is much harder to get anything done. I'm at work right now actually.
Quote from UncleBenny :When I was in school the best thing to do when I absolutely had to finish something was to get as far away from the computer as possible. If I was anywhere near a computer, chances are I'd get distracted.

Unfortunately now at work I have to do everything on a computer. So it is much harder to get anything done. I'm at work right now actually.

If I went far away from a computer to do my work, I still wouldn't get any done as I need the computer to do the work as it's IT lol.
I get exactly the same thing, especially when I'm doing work on the computer where the temptation to just look at the internet is massive.

What I find helps is to make a plan of what I'm going to be doing first, with clear steps of each stage. It's sitting wondering what to do next that leads me to distraction.
I'm having the same problem right now. I need to finish a book review for english, and I just don't have the motivation to do it.

If it was simply answering some questions as in another subject, I would just get on with it, but the fact that I really do need to think about what I'm writing (and try and find an example from the book to back up every point I make) makes it really quite difficult.

As for IT work, I never have a lack of motivation for that. The write ups are all really quite easy, and actually making whatever you're making is either easy, or if not that, challenging and rewarding at the end.
#13 - Vain
Quote :I know there are medical type conditions which cause this, which I have, ADHD.

Doctors have told me I suffer from something similar too and that I need medication. I didn't want to consider myself the victim of some medical state and thus attacked the problem head first myself.
In simple words my strategy was and still is the following: Whenever I have a hard time concentrating on my work I just kick myself harder.
When I'm unconcentrated I have two options. I can either get back to work and actually accomplish something that I can be proud of or use some medical terms as an excuse my lack of capability.
Of course there are medical conditions which make achieving things difficult and maybe it's next to impossible to perform as well as other people, but that should merely be a motivation to try harder.
My opinion stems from the sort of obstacles people in history have overcome to achieve what they wanted. Why did they succeed while others failed? Because the others didn't kick themselves hard enough.

On the technicalities of working, beyond the motivational part, I usually chop up my work into well defined chunks. What do I want to do? What defines the finished state of my work? Which parts do I need to solve to achieve that? What qualifies each part as finished? Then I run down that list and stop for a coffee between the points.

Vain
Remove all distractions. If this means unplugging aerial leads and asking your parents to hide them for a bit, and removing console controllers, ethernet cables and/or routers too.

As ICT is meant for 6 year olds (very basic computing 'skills' like using Excel) you won't need the internet, and can have that distraction removed.
i have hard time in school. on home i like to do work and can concerate but school sucks, u cant play music and its too noisey in the class
You guys just solved my problem. I had the same problem, couldn't concentrate. But i now i realized how pointless this is. I mean to read this forum.
The problem described by OP is quite common... If you've got a boring job to do you'll easily get distracted. I've actually suffered from the same for a year or so now, I just couldn't be arsed to do anything. Now I'm just glad I've finished my final exams and can take a break from studying. Actually It'll take till autumn next year when I start studies (hopefully that is) again, so I think I'll get my motivation back.

So has the laying back now backfired? No, luckily. All the exams went reasonably well, obviously I could have studied more but studying is much more than just learning small random facts. It'll do you much more good to learn things as a whole. That's sort of what saved my exams since I've always liked studying itself, just lately it's for various reasons been low priority. (Obviously you shouldn't lay back and take it easy. Do as I tell you, not as I did...)

So, wisened (is that even a word btw?) from that experience I say: There's mostly some other thing bugging you besides just plain old lazyness. Find out what if you don't know, and then try and resolve that first. Talk to someone and don't keep it to yourself.
^^ that guy speaks the truth

I find it hard to actually get motivated to start work, but once I'm started there's no stopping me. I screwed up big time last year in my exams so I'm gonna try and not repeat it this year
#19 - 5haz
Don't worry kids, you can get through your GCSEs without revising, it's A levels that are trouble.

(Be wise and don't listen to me).
Quote from mookie427 :^^ that guy speaks the truth

I find it hard to actually get motivated to start work, but once I'm started there's no stopping me. I screwed up big time last year in my exams so I'm gonna try and not repeat it this year

similar to me, once i made the start i can work for hours, and I'm better working somewhere else (libary, school mensa) than at home. But to get that start is the hard part. I somehow have no problem doing work if i get paid for it, its somewhat different.
Quote from sam93 :I can watch TV or go on various sites on the internet and stay glued to it for ages, but as soon as I have to do work, I just cant concentrate and go off task. I know there are medical type conditions which cause this, which I have, ADHD.

rubbish if you can concentrate on the tv or the pc for hours you dont have adhd
Sam, the reason you can't concentrate is because you don't want to. It doesn't interest you and you can't be arsed, so you don't.

If it was a hot, young, baby oiled lassie who just happened to be naked I bet you could concentrate on that for hours on end..
I can't concentrate either, when i am studying for tests i always end up watching TV with the book on my lap or hands.
Quote from Shotglass :rubbish if you can concentrate on the tv or the pc for hours you dont have adhd

Thats why I got diagnosed with it when I was 7, took my self off of my concerta a few months ago as I am no longer hyper lol.

I am just going to get my Wifi dongle taken off of me tomorrow and see how far it gets me.

(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG