The online racing simulator
Smashed Laptop Monitor (a few questions)
This won't be a big post as I need to use my iPod Touch as the title suggests, my laptop screen smashed. If I get on a computer tomorrow, I'll post some more details.

Basically, I have a 2 year old Toshiba laptop that cost about £950 but I'd expect technological advancements mean it must be about £300 now. So the screen cracked in transport while in a padded bag, and the liquid crystals in the LCD appear to have leaked epicly. I'll post pictures later, but it's unrepairable and unusable. The left quarter is the only part viewable, and I would like to know how much it would cost to get a new screen or if it would be worth it, as it isn't very fast compared to modern standards so new games I like the look of won't run well, so would the cost of getting a new screen be better spent building a rig that would run better?

*****IPOD BATTERY LOW, WILL CONTINUE POST LATER, FEEL FREE TP ASK QUESTIONS IN THE MEANTIME*****
Have you tried eBay yet?
#3 - Jakg
Depending on the model £100 - £200 for the part. Perhaps cheaper - depends on the model.

What about a broken one? If it's worth £300 (which would imply less than 2GB of RAM) then broken it'd be worth fook all - grab one with a blown mobo / charging port, rip the screen out, sell the RAM / WiFi Card / HDD and it should be cheaper.

EDIT - I was in the same situation as you when my HP broke - As it had a very very nice high res screen, the parts were limited and so the screen cost about £150. My Dad found it was cheaper to buy an old business chuck-out (with the HDD removed) that was in poor condition and use the screen from that as they were the same.
Can't find a new monitor on ebay, all I get is glass screens, which I will also need as my screen already had a few chips in it.

It is a Toshiba P100-434 laptop with a 17" screen. Bought it from PC World 2 years ago and my Dad failed to buy insurance at the same time

I have attached pictures of the monitor, and there aren't any severe cracks on the monitors, just a few chips from months before, which suggests it has been hit on the lid of the laptop. I have been able to turn it on and get past passwords and I even managed a Print Screen. The Print Screen was my normal desktop, so it isn't software trouble I don't think. When turned off, it leaves a stain (like a plasma TV burn) on the monitor (see attached pic). As you can see, the left quarter is still visible, and there is a main circle where the crack appears to have started from, however when a finger is run along it, there is no crack on the glass.

See what you make of the pictures and ask more questions if needed.

EDIT: Link to model: http://uk.computers.toshiba-eu ... SC_MODEL=1&service=UK

I have found out it is a Toshiba TruBrite® WXGA+ TFT display 17" screen it uses. Can't find any spares on the Toshiba website, or on ebay. Like I said, I can only get glass screens for around £100+.
Attached images
BagLaptopInSlot.JPG
BagLaptopInSlot2.JPG
BagPadding.JPG
BagSlot.JPG
LaptopInfo.JPG
LaptopLid.JPG
ScreenAtLogin.JPG
ScreenAtStartup.JPG
ScreenDesktop.JPG
ScreenTurnedOff1.JPG
ScreenTurnedOff2.JPG
#5 - Jakg
You could get an equivalent laptop for about £300-£350, tbh - £100 sounds about right for a new screen.
#6 - wild

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG