The online racing simulator
Serious Aerodynamics and other
(33 posts, started )
#1 - Ori
Serious Aerodynamics and other
Hi Guys,

Here some suggestions:

- One of the most interesting aspects in engineering to me are the moving wings. The developers could bring in cars (preferably prototypes), on which, while braking, the wings rise / move up. They could move paralel to the brakes.

- Since LFS is one of the very few makings that can be titled "simulation" and features aerodynamics-effects, it would be interesting to see them beeing used on tracks where, with the necessary downforce, u could drive upside down. Such tracks could have a special category (simple example: "special tracks") including pipes.

- A Wind Tunnel. :heyjoeani

- 8-track. An 8-track would make LFS even more lovely. Looking at the great community it actually is almost oligatory.
EDIT: A proper one of course, which means proper dimensions and proper layout. No autocross- banger- ...-whatever.

- 90°-banked-turns. Something certainly not needed bad but tracks with sharp corners beeing driven with full throttle would grant fun. In this track category 90°-banked ovals would obviously be highly recommended.
EDIT: thx to dougie-lampkin and Bob Smith.

- In a far future, when we will be driving LFS S80 with vr-devices, the developers could bring in a feature allowing you to create your own car.

So much for now. If i have some more ideas i will post them here.

Ori
did you search on this one??
Quote from Ori :- One of the most interesting aspects in engineering to me are the moving wings. The developers could bring in cars (preferably prototypes), on which, while braking, the wings rise / move up. They could move paralel to the brakes.

Hopefully when our car-base expands (eventually...), we'll have something like a Veyron, that has this feature. A few of the lambos have it too AFAIK.

Quote from Ori :- Since LFS is one of the very few makings that can be titled "simulation" and features aerodynamics-effects, it would be interesting to see them beeing used on tracks where, with the necessary downforce, u could drive upside down. Such tracks could have a special category (for example "fun tracks") including pipes.

There was a thread on this before, but it was decided that cars can't drive upside down without some serious modifications (see my, frankly, excellent suggestion on this ), and so it wouldn't work in LFS. Also, the realism-police are going to get you for mentioning fun in your post

Quote from Ori :- A Wind Tunnel. :heyjoeani

We have something similar to this, on the GTR/SS cars. In the downforce settings, you can simulate the downforce generated by a given angle at a given speed.

Quote from Ori :- 8-track. An 8-track would make LFS even more lovely. Looking at the great community it actually is almost oligatory.

You can make 8-tracks easily in the autocross editor, unless you mean something the size of the oval?

Quote from Ori :- 90°-banked-turns. Something certainly not needed bad but tracks with sharp corners beeing driven with full throttle would grant fun. Optionally 90°-banked ovals.

As much as I agree that this would be fun, apparently "fun" isn't allowed in this game...

Quote from Ori :- In a far future, when we will be driving LFS S80 with vr-devices, the developers could bring in a feature allowing you to create your own car.

Although the devs haven't actually confirmed this, it is widely rumoured (or maybe hoped would be a better word ) that the track and car editing tools will be released along with the final S2/S3 version.
#5 - bbman
Hihi, please nobody tell him LfS' aero model is bare basic at best... oh, dammit...
is it even possible to drive on a 90 degree bank? what's keeping the car from sliding off the road and landing on the ground? this isn't a rollercoaster simulator...
#7 - bbman
Quote from bunder9999 :is it even possible to drive on a 90 degree bank? what's keeping the car from sliding off the road and landing on the ground? this isn't a rollercoaster simulator...

Are you seriously posing that question in a thread about aerodynamics?
Quote :Since LFS is one of the very few makings that can be titled "simulation" and features aerodynamics-effects, it would be interesting to see them beeing used on tracks where, with the necessary downforce, u could drive upside down. Such tracks could have a special category (for example "fun tracks") including pipes.

Look into TrackMania. They have a free version, I'm sure you'd find it fun. I do too.
Quote from bunder9999 :is it even possible to drive on a 90 degree bank? what's keeping the car from sliding off the road and landing on the ground? this isn't a rollercoaster simulator...

Umm.. the car's downforce, centripetal force, friction, and inertia? :/

Those are the few factors that would prevent the car from sliding off the road.
I realy hope by 90º you mean the corner travels 90º and is banked, not banked at 90º.

I think the craziest track in LFS would be one with a huge banked section like the 1960's monza. I was watching Grand Prix (1966) the other day and I was like wow, that would be crazy in a modern F1. I've always loved that movie, and I've always wanted to drive on the old monza track.
Of course 90 degree corners are possible. Look at the wall of death
#12 - Ori
Ok made some improvements in the first post. Thx for the critics.

@ dougie-lampkin: can u show me your suggestion? checked some of your posts but didn't find anything. they're too many.

@ DragonCommando: read carefully.

@ bunder9999, shurecool and all the other guys on that mental level: please ...
Quote from DragonCommando :I realy hope by 90º you mean the corner travels 90º and is banked, not banked at 90º.

Why?

What happens when planes bank 90°? Do they fall out of the sky too?
Quote from tristancliffe :Why?

I never said the car would fall, infact I'm pretty sure it could do it since I've seen people ride bikes around a round pool completely sideways without falling.

But a 90° bank would never be seen on a realistic race track.
Quote from tristancliffe :Why?

Actually they do drop in altitude and need to point the aircraft slightly upwards to prevent falling out of the sky. At very huge altitudes, this isn't an issue for modern fighters since they can so easily climb back to the orginal altitude. But at low-level flying, they have indeed to be very carefull when turning the plane on its side. Just as the nose really needs to be pointed upwards to fly level when flying upside down.

I don't know about the F-22 and jsf, it is possible the onboard-computer will automaticly do this compensations for the pilot when flying close to the ground. But somehow i think even that would be dangerous because the computer may start doing something else then the pilots wants to do which usually results into kissing the ground. Any fighter pilots here on the forum?

anyway, i think we all agree a car wont slide down on 90 degree banking in a corner as long the car is moving forward fast enough
Amusingly some of you actually thought that was a genuine question!
#19 - Ori
@dougie lampkin: I think i have seen a video showing the veyron doing that. Other than that the only car I can name right now is the Fioravanti F100. I used to drive that car on Supercar Street Challenge just to see its wings move when braking. Are you sure there are Lambos doing that?
Quote from Ori :@dougie lampkin: I think i have seen a video showing the veyron doing that. Other than that the only car I can name right now is the Fioravanti F100. I used to drive that car on Supercar Street Challenge just to see its wings move when braking. Are you sure there are Lambos doing that?

If you're talking about a wing that moves when the car brakes the McLaren F1 (roadcar) has one too (just the 'normal' version though...not the LMs or GTRs).

edit: You can see it on this Best Motoring review at about 6:20 and 9:05.
#21 - Ori
Checked the Veyron and the McLaren so far. Both quite impressive. I wonder how hard it can be to create something like that in vr.
The rear wing should have an effect when the car is travelling backwards.

Also, when a car rotates around 140 degrees, the profile of a car is like a wing at high speed. The car should lift into the air like in NASCAR and the LeMans series.
#23 - Riel
A corrado has a moving wing, don't need to be so exotic

But driving banked is for a car almost impossible. Even for a 700kg furmula car you must have a LOT of downforce to get the tires to hold 700kg glued to a wall. I think the car will break.

Going upside down is downforce-like more efficient, cos' the downforce itself is pushing upwards. Generating those 700kg of downforce is not so hard.

But in many cars the oil and coolant would not get where it's supposed to so long driving is not a possibility
#24 - Ori
I'm glad i opened this thread. We should have one where all the cars equipped with active wings are listed
Riel - I'm totally unconvinced that it's easier to drive on the ceiling than it is the wall. The ceiling requires lots of downforce and speed, while the wall only requires that it is a corner (and that you are travelling sufficiently fast), and I reckon you could drive around without any downforce.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG