The online racing simulator
ignition
(23 posts, started )
#1 - serpa
ignition
I think we should get separate ignition and starter buttons. Ignition should be turned on by tapping a button once and engine should be started by holding down another button until it starts running. If you don't let the key go the engine should be overheated and then blow : - )
That'd make the game more realistic and I don't think you'd lose any time on the track, however it is not guaranteed : P
It may already have been suggested but this issue should come into question again, shouldn't it ?
Why would holding down the starter button cause the engine to overheat and blow? What is it about driving an engine via a starter motor at 300rpm that running it on fuel at 7000rpm can't reproduce in terms of heat?

But other than that nonsense, I agree. Two buttons please. Three actually - fuel pump, ignition, starter. No four - master switch, fuel pump, ignition, starter. No five - master switch, fuel pump (main), fuel pump (main/spare), ignition, starter. No, six...
#3 - serpa
well, and what do you think should happen if you (accidentally) press the starter when the engine is already running ? I might be mistaken but I was taught it would do harm to your starter. I already met this unpleasant situation in real life by chance and a quite deafening sound could be heard.. perhaps the same sound when you try to start the engine in gear without pressing down on the clutch, however this varies by car as far as I know. Tryin to start the engine without the clutch in gear caused fiat to stall immediately with no special noise. when I did that in my uncouth instructor's suzuki the engine began to scream as hell and I already saw cars like my father's citroen which started moving forward immediately... whats your take on this ?
Quote from serpa :well, and what do you think should happen if you (accidentally) press the starter when the engine is already running ? I might be mistaken but I was taught it would do harm to your starter. I already met this unpleasant situation in real life by chance and a quite deafening sound could be heard.. perhaps the same sound when you try to start the engine in gear without pressing down on the clutch, however this varies by car as far as I know. Tryin to start the engine without the clutch in gear caused fiat to stall immediately with no special noise. when I did that in my uncouth instructor's suzuki the engine began to scream as hell and I already saw cars like my father's citroen which started moving forward immediately... whats your take on this ?

You can't blow the engine, but you can kill the starter as you have said.

As far as the noise you heard, the screaming is the starter gear slipping because it can't engage the flywheel properly with the car in gear. Unless the flywheel can turn the starter pinion wont always line up because it actualy rotates into position on just about every starter I've seen. Some starters even have an integrated solenoid in the back of the starter so that if the gear doesn't mesh, the starter won't turn.

However, in the event that it does mesh, it will ususaly not do anything but cause induction heating inside the starter coils. Sometimes the starter can be strong enough to move the vehicle, but that isn't a good idea at all, because the starter will be overloaded and probably burn out before you get anywhere.

And for turning the starter with the engine running, the starter tries to engage, but the engine is spinning too fast and it just slips. If the starter does engage it will be run at about three to four times the speed it was designed for and probably be K.I.A.
Quote from tristancliffe :But other than that nonsense, I agree. Two buttons please. Three actually - fuel pump, ignition, starter. No four - master switch, fuel pump, ignition, starter. No five - master switch, fuel pump (main), fuel pump (main/spare), ignition, starter. No, six...

Yeah, like four would be cool. They would take all the cool red buttons on the G25's gear-pod, but still.

I just love that thing with race cars. *click* *click -bzzzzzzzzt* *click* *click wroumm*.

And so on.
I still doubt that you'd need a multi button starting procedure in anything between the UF1 to the RB4...
they need to invent wheels with fake turn-keys.
They have this thing in GTR Evo and it's annoying.. cars have something called a KEY which is normally replicated in one swift movement, namely turning. So one button will do thanks!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :They have this thing in GTR Evo and it's annoying.. cars have something called a KEY which is normally replicated in one swift movement, namely turning. So one button will do thanks!

we're talking about differentiating between off, on and ignition-on.

yeah, it's petty and whatever, but it's a valid request, if the hardware to support it existed.
Yeah it's like that in GTR... you turn the car off at the ignition and it dies.. then to restart it, you have to press the ignition AND THEN the starter.. and it's a bitch because it takes extra control mappings up.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Yeah it's like that in GTR... you turn the car off at the ignition and it dies.. then to restart it, you have to press the ignition AND THEN the starter.. and it's a bitch because it takes extra control mappings up.

I think that's the same with the all GTR rFactor etc. Gmotor games. Tho I don't see it being that annoying. I just have two buttons for it.

Of course if you don't have a lot of buttons for usage it may get annoying.
I once bought a Boeing 747 add-on for MS Flight Simulator. Even with the manual it took me half an hour to work out how to start the bastard.
No, keep it simple, as it is please will do just fine.
Keep it simple, indeed.

Quote from bunder9999 :they need to invent wheels with fake turn-keys.

They need to invent wheels with the indicator stick on the left!
Quote from serpa :I think we should get separate ignition and starter buttons. Ignition should be turned on by tapping a button once and engine should be started by holding down another button until it starts running. If you don't let the key go the engine should be overheated and then blow : - )
That'd make the game more realistic and I don't think you'd lose any time on the track, however it is not guaranteed : P
It may already have been suggested but this issue should come into question again, shouldn't it ?

So when is the new...nah, forget it.
Ignition Sound
Talking about Ignitions... Anyone know where i can get a new sound which replaces when the car starts? I'm tired of that old one and want one that sounds a bit more race alike.
Someone posted a pack of ignition sounds here at the forum iirc
I'm not really bothered about how realistic LFS is in this regard, but I would like to see a single button to press to restart the engine to save faffing when stalled in the middle of the track, and maybe an option to automatically restart the car when the ignition hasn't been turned off and the car is declutched?

Quote from S14 DRIFT :They have this thing in GTR Evo and it's annoying.. cars have something called a KEY which is normally replicated in one swift movement, namely turning. So one button will do thanks!

Racing cars have the power master switch, ignition, starter, fuel pump(s) and diff pump etc. on separate switches for simplicity and complete control.
To be fair Alex, racing car drivers don't have to worry with 12 mappable buttons on their wheel.

But you can see the problem..

Sure it's second nature to them, most of them are machines disguised as humans.
It's a good idea but i don't see a reason to keep theese at different buttons.
First you hold the button to ignite the engine and once the engine is running, you have to let go of the ignition key and press it again to shut it off. There are no problems with keeping them on the same button input.
Good idea, easy to realize.

Quote from tristancliffe :But other than that nonsense, I agree. Two buttons please. Three actually - fuel pump, ignition, starter. No four - master switch, fuel pump, ignition, starter. No five - master switch, fuel pump (main), fuel pump (main/spare), ignition, starter. No, six...

Can be different for different cars. Not really a problem because the developers will handle it.

ignition
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG