The online racing simulator
#1 - ZORER
verbatim usb harddisk not recognised by winxp
Hi,

I have a 320gb verbatim usb harddisk. It's formatted to fat32 and works fine on ps3, laptop (winxp32) and my office computer (vista64). But, my home desktop (winxp32) it doesn't recognize until i unplug-plug it ten times or so. And even if it recognizes it will disconnect randomly. I tried using y-usb cable for extra power but it didn't work.I'm not using a usb hub, it doesn't make any change even if i connect to a usb hub. I updated my mainboard drivers, tried searching for usb hdd drivers but nothing seems to work...

Are there any ideas? or maybe help?

Thank you.
#2 - ZORER
:spider:
#3 - amp88
Have you tried in different USB ports in your computer? Do other USB devices work in the port(s) you're trying?
#4 - ZORER
Yes i tried all of the usb ports on the computer. And yes other devices work properly on the same ports.

It's really a weird problem.
Is it a power supply issue? My USB hard drive works fine at work using the bus power, but at home (where I have more USB things plugged in) it needs me to plug in the mains power transformer.

Does it whirr on and off whilst it's "not working"?
Also check your USB power management settings in XP. I think tristan is right here though, as my experience of external drives, even 2.5" can require a little more juice then what the USB port can provide.
#7 - ZORER
Quote from tristancliffe :Is it a power supply issue? My USB hard drive works fine at work using the bus power, but at home (where I have more USB things plugged in) it needs me to plug in the mains power transformer.

Does it whirr on and off whilst it's "not working"?

Hmm yes it whirr on and off, and the led blinks while it's not working. But it doesn't have an extra power supply. Only usb input. I tried a y-usb cable for extra power but didn't help.

Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :Also check your USB power management settings in XP. I think tristan is right here though, as my experience of external drives, even 2.5" can require a little more juice then what the USB port can provide.

Ok I'll check the usb power management settings as soon as i get home.

edit : by the way even if i turn the computer off, usb ports still provide power which i can charge my cellphone or gamepads.
Is it good or is it sign of a problem?
Quote from ZORER :edit : by the way even if i turn the computer off, usb ports still provide power which i can charge my cellphone or gamepads.
Is it good or is it sign of a problem?

It is good.

This is because after turning off PC your PSU stays still on, and powers USB's.
#9 - ZORER
Strange behavior from the disk....

A few days ago, i tried to use another Y-usb cable and it worked. Now, my home pc recognizes the hard disk everytime i plug it in. So the problem is solved...
But now, i have to use that y-cable to connect it to ps3 as well othervise it doesn't work!!!:gnasher: How can a hard disk act like a cat??? once you give it whiskas and it won't eat other food anymore. My hdd tasted the y-cable and doesn't want the single usb cable anymore...

Strange isn't it?
Same issue
I have a 320 Gb Verbatim 2.5'. With a stardard USB extention attached with the original USB cable the disk will not work. With the original USB cable pluged in directly to the USB port it works fine.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG