Is there any real difference between 7200RPM and 10000RPM HDD's in:
  • boot time
  • data reading time
  • data writing time
  • in games
?
Of course.
And also in noise
Is it worth it (price)? I need PC as gaming PC (LFS, Crysis and NFS Undercover) and media center (yez, i have Full HD screen )
#4 - T.J.
I have 7200 and I play all games without problems :P
Quote from Shadowww :Is it worth it (price)? I need PC as gaming PC (LFS, Crysis and NFS Undercover) and media center (yez, i have Full HD screen )

In that case try and stay at 7200 revs. If you plan to use your computer as a media centre it should be quite quiet, hence no 10000000 spins for it, believe me.
There are plenty of quick hdds out there, maybe you can find something on an silent hardware forum. Those guys know what's fast AND silent!

greetz

der butz
Quote from der butz :In that case try and stay at 7200 revs. If you plan to use your computer as a media centre it should be quite quiet, hence no 10000000 spins for it, believe me.
There are plenty of quick hdds out there, maybe you can find something on an silent hardware forum. Those guys know what's fast AND silent!

greetz

der butz

How do you think, will Seagate 640GB HDD be fast enough for Full-HD movies (~40GB each (20GB per hour))
#7 - (SaM)
Higher platter speeds means that higher performance is possible, but it's not the RPM that decide what makes the faster HDD. There are plenty of 7200 RPM HDDs that outperform the majority of 10K HDDs.
If I were you I would compare write, read and seek speeds of about 5 well known brands in your budget range and totally disregard platter speed.

As for noise, in my other system I have 2 10K RPM HDDs and I never heard any noise above the CPU and PSU fans' noise, so I really wouldn't let that influence your choice.
Quote from Shadowww :How do you think, will Seagate 640GB HDD be fast enough for Full-HD movies (~40GB each (20GB per hour))

Well, 20GB/hour is 330MB/minute is 5.5MB/sec. Yes a 7200rpm HDD should be able to sustain that speed.

My question is why are these HD movies not compressed? 2 hours @ 1080p should come in at around 8-12GB which is much more acceptable. That'll also allow you to get more than 16 movies on a drive.
Quote from pb32000 :Well, 20GB/hour is 330MB/minute is 5.5MB/sec. Yes a 7200rpm HDD should be able to sustain that speed.

My question is why are these HD movies not compressed? 2 hours @ 1080p should come in at around 8-12GB which is much more acceptable. That'll also allow you to get more than 16 movies on a drive.

They are direct copies from Blu-Ray discs
I tried to recompress, but then quality is crap.
Will be grateful if you will post some HQ settings for VirtualDub + CoreAVC

7200RPM vs. 10000RPM
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG