The online racing simulator
Opened tracks
(37 posts, started )
Opened tracks
My suggestion is to allow make open tracks for cruise server. That's would be great. More space - bigger fun.

Open track - without barriers on some turns

Sorry for my bad English, I'm 14
Asked for countless tmies, you'll be hated for it. I'd like to see it to, but not just for cruisers.

Racers, using the "Shift+U" option, could make their own combos ! Imagine if there was a section of an open LFS track that sort of resembled a figure of eight (gernerally, a cross in the track) So you demo-derby folk could have fun. Make your own course from the ones you have !

My $0.02 !
AFAIK, it has been stated by the devs that it could not easily be done.

For instance, what people would suggest is to take an already existing track, say South City, and then basically open all the roads in there from all the configurations to basically have something people can roam into. I'm not sure on the technical part, nor do I remember exactly what was the problem, but it couldn't be done. Therefore, the devs would basically have to design a whole new track for this to work. Which takes time. And will.
The reason most people say is the graphics engine. And this is the most plausible.

Others said that the problem was to have a free track, but there is an autocross, so thats stupid.

South city would be the ideal track to be full-opened, but its the track that drop more fps.

PS: I proposed that same thing so months ago
nice idea but next time please you the search button

thanks

typhirion
Cannot be done as LFS renders only what you see. In order to do so the graphics engine would need to be re-written AFAIK
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Cannot be done as LFS renders only what you see. In order to do so the graphics engine would need to be re-written AFAIK

and thats needed!
(is lfs still directx7?!)
Direct 8

It's not needed yet, tbh I think it's more important that S2 goes final before anything like that.
i said same thing but no one cares
I'll buy you a beer whenever that happens...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Cannot be done as LFS renders only what you see. In order to do so the graphics engine would need to be re-written AFAIK

And whats the problem??

Yesterday a had a really big crash, when I was at about 70 meters hight I saw how the track were loading.

I don't see what problem could cause an open track. At least no in the track loading
I'm not a programmer so I don't know.

Besides, LFS is not a cruising simulation, which is what this would be used for. The dev's (probably!) couldn't give a damn about cruising.
Yes, but why (if it's easy enough) they do not do that, so more people could use a feature of the game (insim) and has an unique game mode (real cruising) ?
I just said it wasn't easy. Rewriting the whole method of rendering would not only be using time that could be spent doing more practical things, but it would make LFS more resource hungry for people that want to race...
Well, i think the engine allows to do it. Look for example at autocross, now imagine some textures on it = fern bay (that was only a example really...)
I think it has something to do with the fact that the tracks are split up in sections, and only the section you are on is rendered. Now this works for ordinary tracks quite well, but with open tracks I doubt it, as at any junction, there wouldn't be a definite route, which means that two sections of the alternate routes would have to be rendered. And that i what the engine isn't capable to do right now.

Also, as I don't really see the appeal of cruising in LfS (there's always GTA or TDU to do that, WITH police and traffic), I don't think that Scawen should waste precious developement time on that.
Quote from ColeusRattus : I don't think that Scawen should waste precious developement time on that.

Yeah, I prefer chinese translations and stuff like that
Your point is?

Translating takes considerably less effort than rewriting the rendering engine, plus it results in additional sales.
Quote from FCS13 :Yeah, I prefer chinese translations and stuff like that

I'm sure people translate on behalf of the devs. I don't think the devs pay people from all these countries to do it for them, so I doubt it takes the much time from them.
Quote from ColeusRattus :[snip]
Also, as I don't really see the appeal of cruising in LfS (there's always GTA or TDU to do that, WITH police and traffic), I don't think that Scawen should waste precious developement time on that.

Yes and the physics are top notch in those games. NOT!

I play LFS for it's physics because it far surpasses any other game I've ever played. I can play TDU for it's scenery, but is quickly boring after about 10 minutes because it's physics are rubbish. Same goes for other 'cruising' games.

I use LFS to drive in, both racing and cruising. Sometimes I don't feel like racing, so I go cruising, no big problem? It's fun to drive with such realistic physics.

Imagine if when LFS goes finally 'S3 public' and it has features that allow cruising around open tracks and it get's a huge response from those that normally play those types of games. Wow, LFS does everything! sales would overpass EA records and the Devs could retire to the Bahahmas.

I'm not saying, make tracks open NOW! I'm not even saying - do it at all, ever. Just there is no need to bash cruising or why it is done. Of course the devs don't have to cater for it (crusing), I would expect nothing of the sort. It is a race sim first and foremost, I totally understand and respect that.

Maybe the oppertunity will come to open tracks, when or IF the graphics engine is redone. Maybe the ability to open all tracks will just happen naturally with a new graphics engine. I think a more important statement would be, "don't shut it down if it takes no extra time to leave in open tracks should it ever arise as a choice"

Because there is no point shutting down cruising or trying to stop it. You can make it (LFS) more unrealistc and less like real life cities and open roads for cruising environments, but eventually it doesn't matter what is done to LFS, there will always still be cruisers and drifters and other non-racers playing LFS because it has such an amazing physics engine compared to other games. I used to cruise before "Cruise Servers" even existed. Just going around and around enjoying LFS and it's physics. Not racing, just drive and drive for nothing - FOR FUN. So please don't insult my intelligence and ask me to play another (bad) game just because you can't handle what I do with my PC which doesn't even effect your game play in race servers. OF COURSE, don't ever delay LFS development for Cruising, just don't try and shut it down. You'd just be throwing away money and potential customers, who may one day, get curious and want to try hard core and go and have a race. Live and let live, if they don't interfer with you.

And topic opener; use search before making duplicate requests.

Thanks for keeping civil everyone.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I think it has something to do with the fact that the tracks are split up in sections, and only the section you are on is rendered.

Rendering it is not the problem, the graphics engine could easily deal with open tracks. The problem is splitting the track into logical nodes. As you said, a junction would effectively result in two different tracks (that is two possible paths) that would still need to be mapped to one logical path. It could work like Autocross, which is nodeless / single-noded because it's time based and wether or not you follow the correct path is checked via indexed route checkers.
Quote from JasonJ :-moan about tdu snip-

Go unlock Hardcore mode, then complain. Because it's perfectly acceptable on that.

And we can bash cruisers all we want! :banana:
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Go unlock Hardcore mode, then complain. Because it's perfectly acceptable on that.

Sorry but I am not going to play a game with crap physics for what... 2 weeks solid or something just to complete it, so that the physics get better. I know that's not LFS's fault or anyone here's fault. I just don't have that sort of time to waste.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :And we can bash cruisers all we want!

You'd think with all the time you spend here you would have seen this post below and already know that type of thing isn't wanted here....
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=901413#post901413
Maybe you should go read that?
Someone's sarcasm detector is broken. Hence the stupid smiley.

And as with everything in life, good things come to those who wait.

If you really can't be bothered (dunno why, TDU is fun and it's just a relaxing game) to play through, go download a full savegame.

Opened tracks
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG