The online racing simulator
Mens Insurance
(29 posts, started )
Mens Insurance
Hi All,

Just got my self a 1998 Rover 214 16V SI, with 63,000 on clock for £850.

Only problem is i cant find cheep insurance, with me on my own, or with my dad on. CHeepest i can find is £2600.

Anyone know of any cheeper - i have just tured 18
#2 - Bean0
www.confused.com

Then phone up the cheapest few and get them to beat each other.
cheepest i can find is £1250 with my mum on, but they wont cover me for going to and from college
Quote from marsden1002 :Anyone know of any cheeper - i have just tured 18

Theres your problem.

You've bought a known boy racer car, at the age of 18, with presumably 0 years of no claims. You'll be lucky to get any decent quotes.
Yeah, its a big problem when you are only 18, I remember having a Celica then a Renault 18 Turbo at 18, both cost £1000+ to insure 13 years ago, then I decided that having a fast car was pointless.
Just to rub it in, I use a little Fiat for my work run, my insurance, full comp per year on that is £60 LMAO.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :Just to rub it in, I use a little Fiat for my work run, my insurance, full comp per year on that is £60 LMAO.

That's even sweeter than the $90 USD I pay for liability only on my bike (250cc) now that I'm 21. Last year it was $240 USD.
serves you right for buying a car like that then (also for not checking how much the insurance is before buying it)
If I remember you can get a total cover plan so anyone who drives your car is insured. That usally works out cheap. Though I don't know if that is true.

But this is also why I'm putting off getting a car. I could afford to get one. I just couldn't keep it road legal.
A rover 200 is an old mans car, the MG ZR are the boy racers car.

Just had a quote from Frizzel for £1700, but must be wrong
well.

It does serve myslef right i agree. Its a good little runner thou, and after test driving my girlfriends clio1.2 on a motorway, i couldnt stand it
I must say I feel sorry for you UK people with your insurance costs illepall

When I was 18 and I had my RX-7, the insurance was as low as 350 euros / year. See, we don't luckily have insurances that change the cost by the owners age or if the car is a boyracer. Our insurance system works like this, the smaller the engine -> lower insurances (1.3 in the RX-7), the older the car -> lower insurances ('89) and the list goes on. On newer cars the insurances are mind boggling, my friend had to pay 2400euros / year from his Mitsubishi Evo
Aint got a clue how it works in UK

I got quoted £2400 on a Peugeot 306 1.9 TD, but, my Rover 200 1.4 16V i got quotes the same.

But, a citroen AX 1.0 £2600 HOW?????

Its pathetic
Is that car even worth 2600£?
edit. bit googling and seems its not
#15 - Ant
I found churchill the cheapest for my insurance needs, plus you get a discount on that nodding dog . There are some things you could do to get insurance down.

You could keep the car in a locked garage rather than on the street.
You could get a certified alarm and/or mobiliser fitted.
You could move to the suburbs where the postcode would no doubt be a cheaper postcode.
You could promise to only driver for social and domestic pleasure and only on the weekend.

All of that sort of stuff helps
214 a big car for a first car? LOL. I'm thinking of getting a Omega for my first car - I just couldn't bring myself to drive a FWD and BMWs are out of my financial range.

Anyway I'm bound to have an accident, I'm a newbie on the road, so might as well have acres of space around myself to keep my safe.

I've not tried to get a quote yet, should prove interesting.
#17 - MR_B
Whats your circumstances? Living in Manchester for a start must DEFFINATELY be contributing to it.... Is it garaged? Built up area? etc etc,. just bare the brunt and get your NCB under your belt.
Quote from Bob Smith :214 a big car for a first car? LOL. I'm thinking of getting a Omega for my first car - I just couldn't bring myself to drive a FWD and BMWs are out of my financial range.

Omegas are good cars (had one before getting my license, was my first RWD practicing car ), but make sure you get the A model. From what I've heard the newer B models have a tendency to be infested with electrical problems.
Thanks for the tip Matrixi.

It's statistically proven that women of all ages crash more than men (less miles between crashes), but their insurance claims are generally car park dings, whereas men total it on the motorway... and the bus they crashed into. Hence our insurance premiums are more.
Oh man, I heard about these problem with car insurance from varios people I know in the UK. I mean, whats the deal? Do youngsters crash that often over there?

Buy a citroen and get free insurance for your first few years in driving. I think some models have that one pound deposit thingy. I know it aint the best car in the world but when you calculate what your paying in insurance for a used 1.0, its a bargan.

Quote :just got my self a 1998 Rover 214 16V SI, with 63,000 on clock for £850.

Only problem is i cant find cheep insurance, with me on my own, or with my dad on. CHeepest i can find is £2600.

geez!
Heh, just got a quote for an R reg 2.5l V6 Omega, cheapest for 3rd party is £2020, but only another £25 to add fire and theft. Highest quote was a smidgen under 4 grand. Full comp was ~£3500, silly money. Well, as if £2k isn't silly enough. The car's only worth £1500! Damn me being under 25 and not having any no claims.
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
Quote from Clownpaint :Thing is that's on a new car, if you can afford a new car for your first car you wouldn't be whining about £2000 insurance.

Do the math.... how much is a saxo in the UK, 7000-9000 pounds?

So, if you get a credit, you would repay the car in lets say three or four years. In the same way you saved exaclty that much money on insurance.

But still i dunno if citroen give three year insurance when you buy a new car, think its only one year. If its only one then you can register it on your dad/mom when the contract expires.

Still a good deal, except the fact that the citroens are put together with glue
Quote from YUGO45 :Do the math.... how much is a saxo in the UK, 7000-9000 pounds?

So, if you get a credit, you would repay the car in lets say three or four years. In the same way you saved exaclty that much money on insurance.

Bearing in mind that these are 17-18 year old kids in school. They cant, and wont get any kind of credit agreement, nor would they even beable to afford repayments. Hell, I'm in a full time job, and I could barely afford to do it with the way the current situation is in the UK.

Most kids are looking to pay £1500 or less for a car. Even though it might save them money to buy a brand new car with free insurance, they couldnt do it in the short term.

To be honest, the cost of insurance in the UK isnt that bad, its just under 21's and under 25's that get hammered. My Clio 1.4RT is about £1200 per year, and given the fact that a 1.1 fiesta costs more to insure, things can be misleading until you learn one thing - its all about circumstance and reputation.
I have to pay € 600 per year for a 10 year old 1.1l Ford Fiesta... But it was waaaaay harder to even find an insurance that was willing to take me, an almost 20 year old boy with no (documented) experience of driving... The only thing why I finally got insurance cover is because my dad threatened his insurance company, that he would terminate his contract if they wouldn't take me...
#25 - mr_x
i have a 6 month old Toyota Yaris 1.3l (got it for £9500 new), on my parents insurance with my dads 5 years no claims added (protected), costing £900 per year, by myself on it it would be well over £3000, im just glad my parents pay for the car/insurance and most of the petrol!

Mens Insurance
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG