The online racing simulator
Gaming Steering Wheels
(56 posts, started )
Quote from Theafro :one downside: the paddle shifters are crap, tiny little things that are moulded to the back of the wheel, not nice to change gear with but you're better off using the shifter anyways.

Which is why I have brought one of these > http://www.frex.com/gp/wheeladapter/index.htm

Dan,
I can't race at the moment because my MOMO's pedals don't work. 6 months, 3 Fixes later and BOOM!

That just sums up about how good they are.
Quote from leigh_bedwell :what about any thrustmasters? like those ferrari licensed ones. i see those going quite cheap on ebay. im looking for sometihng solid, but it doesnt have to be amazing. and i'd rather it play quite wella nd look okay than have all this feedback stuff.

Very happy with my Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 FF, had it for maybe two or three years now, and it's going well. The force feedback is great, plus it's nice to have solid aluminium shifters and aluminium pedal plates. The only problem has been that the plastic baseplate for the pedals cracked, but I stripped the pots and pedals off the wreckage and built a new wooden pedal unit which works fine and allowed me to put in stronger springs, etc.
i have a gameport msff
I got a Saitek R440 and all I can say - I hate it You know why? Because you can`t go straight with it lol. Trust me, I have tried all, other games etc etc, but still it goes righter left or right, but not straigh lol illepall
It seems like if it isn't 100% centered, it applies too much force, causing the wheel to jerk to the other side and it starts again the other way round...
Quote from NovaTez :The only DFP I can find is apparently for PlayStation 2... I take it that these are USB and will work with a PC??

Apologies for my lameness

Logitech sells DFP as a "PS2 wheel" just for stupid marketing reasons. It isn't even particularly designed for PS2 (despite the lame "GT4 logo" on it). As already mentioned the official drivers have full support for it.
Quote from bbman :It seems like if it isn't 100% centered, it applies too much force, causing the wheel to jerk to the other side and it starts again the other way round...

Hehe But tho I hate it, it actual is ok I can`t keep straight, but I still manage to do a lot of turning lol, so it looks kind of funny. See me in a race and you will think you are drving agains a drunken driver
But when it comes to the turn it does the job lol
Quote from Zero7 :Sorry, slightly OT, but....

How much of a difference does adding the squash ball actually make to the brake feel i.e. how close to a real life brake is it?

With Momo Racing pedals, without the ball all you have is a really weak spring and no resistance so your brake pedal feels really light. With the ball there, you have a bit of resistance so you're able to apply as much (or as little) pressure as you want without your foot going straight to the floor and locking your brakes.

As for comparing it to real brakes, it's quite close actually. You've got pretty precise control of your braking pressure, enough so that you can even heel-toe quite effectively. Although tbh, having only two pedlas, I left foot brake...
I cut my ball in half (LOL, that doesn't sound good). There is some space between the ball and pedal. I turn the braking force setting up so that I almost am at the point of locking when the pedal hits the squashball, then can apply pressure rather than pedal deflection for the final bit of braking if I need it. Does that make sense?

Yes, the squashball does make a world of difference in feel compared to the week spring that is in the pedals. Though, still based on pedal deflection, rather than pressure like in a real car, you can't really compare it to real life. If you want it more real, then search here or the RSC forum for the pedals using a load cell for pressure braking.
Are momo racing pedals the same as DFP pedals? I didn't like the springs in my DFP ones so I stuck a peice of foam (part of an RC car tyre insert) under where the 2nd spring kicks in, feels a lot better than before and stopped it making a noise when it hits the spring.
Quote from The Very End :Hehe But tho I hate it, it actual is ok I can`t keep straight, but I still manage to do a lot of turning lol, so it looks kind of funny. See me in a race and you will think you are drving agains a drunken driver
But when it comes to the turn it does the job lol

Yeah, it's really good for its price (that's why I went for it )...
Recently, I saw a replay of myself driving a RAC... As you can imagine, it didn't look that good...

Should be good in slalom...
Quote from Rtsbasic :Are momo racing pedals the same as DFP pedals? I didn't like the springs in my DFP ones so I stuck a peice of foam (part of an RC car tyre insert) under where the 2nd spring kicks in, feels a lot better than before and stopped it making a noise when it hits the spring.

DFP (there might be a rev B version of MOMO too) revision B (REV B00) pedals has metal pots which is of course better than plastic pots.
Quote from deggis :DFP (there might be a rev B version of MOMO too) revision B (REV B00) pedals has metal pots which is of course better than plastic pots.

I assume that "REVB00" is printed on the bottom of the pedal box if it is a Rev B set?

Dan,
#40 - Vain
Yes, the MOMOs also have a revision B. But I never needed to take them apart, so I don't know what's different with them.

Vain
Both my DFP's have had pedal issues, both are Rev.B, but since I re-greased/reseated everything and tucked a bit more cable in no problems since november, or around 6,000 miles in LFS and another 2,000 in GT4
Been looking for the DFP drivers on logitech website, cant find it. Will appreciate someone posting a link for the drivers.
Thanks for the quick post on the link.

Quote from Vain :Yes, the MOMOs also have a revision B. But I never needed to take them apart, so I don't know what's different with them.

Vain

There should a sticker somewhere in the bottom of the wheel or pedals.

pic is from Kegetys

Just brought the driving force pro for £64. Can't wait for it to get here so I can take on ym brother then join you guys on the online circuit
i got the logitech DFP for bout £62 including p&p and vat. I have had mine for a week and atfirst it was very very hard but im getting the hang of it now. I could tell you the website if you want to buy 1
oh you have 1, lol good luck with it , if any 1 want to know the website i got my dfp from then just ask
DFP REV B is no guarantee that the pots are the upgraded type. Mine was REV B and had the crappy little plastic pots.

Although, they've been shipping for so long now with the newer pots you're unlikely to get a unit with the old type pots.

Gaming Steering Wheels
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG