The online racing simulator
Gaming Steering Wheels
(56 posts, started )
Gaming Steering Wheels
hello Fellow Racers,

Now i'm sure this has most likely been brought up before. so for that i apologise. but i just wanted to start a thread to see what wheels you guys are using and which ones you recommend. i use to have a sidewinder forcefeedback wheel back in the day for the old grand prix games. as it uses a gameport and my new PC doesnt have one i have passe dit down to my brother for use on his old machine. he's dedicated to give it a good thrashing before it packs in (he plays LFS with 10-15 frames per second). so im looking to purchase sometihng new. im not looking at a massive budget. below the 100 pound mark if you will.

cheers everyone
Bedwell
I'll give you a never-has-been-done poll on wheels used.

Logitech DFP - 45%

Logitech Momo racing - 47%

Other - 8%

I think that if the pole would ever be done, that would pretty much sum it up. I think I did a poll at NAL before and found that Momo had a slight edge over the DFP.
Quote from mrodgers :I'll give you a never-has-been-done poll on wheels used.

Logitech DFP - 45%

Logitech Momo racing - 47%

Other - 8%

I think that if the pole would ever be done, that would pretty much sum it up. I think I did a poll at NAL before and found that Momo had a slight edge over the DFP.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the DFP is the better wheel but it's also more expensive. I'm currently using a momo racing, and I'm very happy with it. For some I know there may be some problems with the pedals. Nothing I've experienced but I know some people who have.
Driving Force, not Pro. I'm happy with it.
what about any thrustmasters? like those ferrari licensed ones. i see those going quite cheap on ebay. im looking for sometihng solid, but it doesnt have to be amazing. and i'd rather it play quite wella nd look okay than have all this feedback stuff.
well if you're looking for realism, the DFP is great because of its adjustable 900* rotation.
DFP every time. If you shop around a bit it only costs around £70, 900 degree rotation, very good force feedback, and you can use it on a PS2 as well. For a wheel that costs less than £300 what more do you want?
#8 - Goop
I had a Thrustmaster Ferrari (the old one, there are newies now?). It did ok, lasted about a year, but I found a lot more accuracy when I switched to a momo. Have had the pedal problems with it, but after tooling around inside them, I have it pretty well sorted... for now. No idea on DFPs.
Driving force pro is available in the uk for £65 delivered, I haven't used any other wheels but I can tell you that the DFP is superb
My Logi Momo Racing has served me well, although I had to learn how to stick-shift on the fly - my left paddle broke while I was changing down into a 2nd gear corner (Lesmo 1, Monza, GPL). Quite a steep learning curve at the time :zombie:
I still use the stick because the paddles are a little flimsy, and one of them still doesn't work properly despite being fixed twice. Apart from that little hiccup the Racing has been a great wheel and is still going strong, especially since I no longer use the Logi Profiler software, which was giving me a few pedal de-calibration issues. Considering the sometimes crappy quality of similarly priced hardware and the fact that it's been in constant use since 2002 I'm quite happy with it. I still have the same squash ball I "installed" under the brake pedal too..
I'm very happy with my dfp, not using 900 degrees but more using considerably different settings for different cars.

Basically very happy with it in any sim i've tried, i do however spend some time configuring it to my liking.

Edit: only other pc wheel i've tried is a saitek 440, comparing it to the dfp is silly, pretty much the worst pc accessory i've ever used.
I recently bought the new thrustmaster rally gt pro, didn't want to have the Problems the dfp has. Well, rotation about 270°, belt drive, ball bearings, rubber wheel AND 2 more axes. . I like it, it's more quiet than my saitek r4 but does not react as fast (curbs and fast bumps, but this is getting better everytime I play). The mechanics seem very durable (I like 120%ffb:-)) and you can put 2 more pedals to it for clutch and handbrake. Costs are €100 for the wheel and I believe 20 or 30 for a second set of pedals.
DFP, great wheel IMO. havent tried others, but TBH, with the DFP I dont feel I need to.
Also the DFP plus the Frex adaptor and a momo/sparco wheel is supposed to be great, I have my frex on order ATM.

Dan,
heh, I'm still using my Act Labs Force RS with first gen shifter and performance pedals. The Act Labs wheel is 6 years old and still going strong.
I have a logitech momo force (black). I must say its very very good force feedback is great and i havent had any problems with it apart from a slight clicking now and then when turning wheel rapidly. Trust me i have thrashed the wheel and have had it for about 8 months and its still fine touch wood . I cant comment on the dfp but from what i have heard its a great wheel if u can get it for the right price i would go for that over the momo . If u can get hold of a momo raceing Red (all metal parts) then take it but be prepaird to pay up to your and probably over your budget to get your hands on one worth every single penny though
Sorry, slightly OT, but....

Quote from Hankstar :I still have the same squash ball I "installed" under the brake pedal too..

How much of a difference does adding the squash ball actually make to the brake feel i.e. how close to a real life brake is it?
Logi Momo Force - red one - figure I'd buy a dfp if I needed a replacement in a hurry...
Quote from Zero7 :How much of a difference does adding the squash ball actually make to the brake feel i.e. how close to a real life brake is it?

Well it's nothing like real life but better than the spring...
I have the Logitec Momo R, and since suffering through the problems with the pedals (only briefly before I fixed it), I have decided to look around for a DFP. The Momo has served me very well though, and I'll be selling it to my brother so that he can play too
This might be a stupid quesiton....
Im looking for a new wheel right now myself. I was going to go down the Momo route but I like the 900 degrees that the DFP offers.

The only DFP I can find is apparently for PlayStation 2... I take it that these are USB and will work with a PC??

Apologies for my lameness
The DFP is made for the PS2, although it works fine on the PC too as long as you DL the wingman software, if you are in the UK, cheapest place ATM is Dark Planets, plus they do cheap next day delivery

Dan,
Nice, thanks Dan... unfortuantely im far too impatient to wait so as to get a cheaper price. I guess I will pay the price for my impatience and pay pc world over the odds just so I can drift tonight

Thanks again dude
If you order it now, before 4pm, for £65 you'll have a DFP on your doorstep tomorrow morning, surely you can wait till tomorrow morning.

Dan,
Yeah but that means having to suffer one more night with the Saitek crap I have now

But yes... you're right
DFP, it's cheap £60-65 delivered (i managed to get mine for £61.50!) and has more buttons/features than any other wheel in this price bracket (i think:shrug, the pedals aren't quite as comfortable as the momo's but the brake does seem to give better feel.

one downside: the paddle shifters are crap, tiny little things that are moulded to the back of the wheel, not nice to change gear with but you're better off using the shifter anyways. (i use mine for indicators), the D-pad's pretty handy too for in-race adjustments, better than reaching for the keys.

it's a good wheel and about half the desk footprint of a momo so i'm pretty sure the DFP comes out on top IMHO.

Oh and GT4 is actually quite good fun with a wheel, the Group C cars are a blast round the 'ring (5.14 PB:razz, if you've got a PS2 then the DFP is definately for you.

Gaming Steering Wheels
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG