The online racing simulator
GTA IV: The Lost and Damned - Now Available
(75 posts, started )
Quote from obsolum :
That and the Jason dude that gets whacked by Nico I'm sure there'll be other references.

There will be plenty of references. Nico will even help you out at a mission for Elisabeta. And the Bellic taxi company is there too, you can call them for a ride. There's probably more of that stuff but I haven't finished it yet.
Spoliers in white...
One of the smaller missions envolves you kidnapping Roman, you take him to that warehouse for Ray. You also meet up with Niko for the diamond deal mission at the libertarian place. The credits show a lot of Niko's missions, well worth watching because it looks awesome and the music kicks ass...

Some of the missions were great, I loved the one where you're on the back of the bike with an automatic shotgun blowing away all the police cars and choppers. On the whole I actually preferred the feel of this one to the main GTA IV story, the music is better, the characters are more established in the city which leads to some better storylines, and the area of the city used is brilliant, much better than the first island.
i saw this ad on tv and was sat on the edge of the seat wondering this looks awesome!

then...

it said "For XBOX 360 only" and i went mad!
I hate Microsoft, I hate it at all costs! First Vista, then Forza and now this!!! whats coming to this world??? i hate it!!!

(lol)
Microsoft paid 50 million to get it Xbox 360 only.I'm not that far in the DLC but it's by far the best one I've bought.
1 - Overhyped and overrated. Ratings 10/10 what the feck? Tried it with a friend yesterday - it was ok, but not at all worth 10. Maybe 8.
2 - Xbox only? One more thing that proves just how fukced up microsoft is. I hate them! Usually competition is good for the consumer, but microsoft blows it all up. What a bonch of crap.

Just my two cents.
I've read one review before buying the content. It didn't give it a 10/10. It pointed out the flaws (like the bike handling still isn't very good, etc) and i knew what to expect. It was an honest review and far from "overhyped".

Beside the new setting, it's still GTAIV, and nobody ever said something else.

GTAIV is easily the best sandbox game. Even if it may feel shallow after completing all the missions.

Show me another sandbox game that can match the style of cutscenes in GTA (yes, earlier titles included). I admit that i love the rockstar style regarding this.

Show me another sandbox game where the physics are as good as in GTAIV. Ragdoll, driving and crash physics that is... it's simply brilliant.

GTAIV has its flaws, like any other game. But to call a great game overhyped (ok, maybe it even is), or to say it's not really good. I don't know... just tell me another game that you think is better, and belongs into the same category. I can't think of one to be honest.

And about all the whining over this being an xbox exclusive...
It's not like they didn't tell us right from the beginning. They said it from the start that this is going to be an xbox exclusive... so go run to your mum and cry.

PS: To all the people who are playing it and post in this thread about missions: Please use spoiler methods to post about the missons, like ATC Quicksilver did! Thanks!
Might just beeing the norwegian overhyping it then, seen two reviews where it got 10/10 and 6/6.
There is no doubt it's a great game, both specially for it ragdoll physics and car physics, but IMO it's not _that_ great.
It's enjoyable and I really enjoyed some hours playing of it, but after short time it was just repeating itself and it got borring, life spam was very short.

I think my rant about xbox mainly is my disagreement with the industry generally. At the moment microsoft just pays every company a great deal of ammount to get things exclusive, or specially offers / add ons on xbox, while Ps3 get no love. Of course, you allways give to the highest bidder, but how microsoft acts is on a scale too low to even start trying to desribe.
Quote from The Very End :Might just beeing the norwegian overhyping it then, seen two reviews where it got 10/10 and 6/6.
There is no doubt it's a great game, both specially for it ragdoll physics and car physics, but IMO it's not _that_ great.
It's enjoyable and I really enjoyed some hours playing of it, but after short time it was just repeating itself and it got borring, life spam was very short.

I think my rant about xbox mainly is my disagreement with the industry generally. At the moment microsoft just pays every company a great deal of ammount to get things exclusive, or specially offers / add ons on xbox, while Ps3 get no love. Of course, you allways give to the highest bidder, but how microsoft acts is on a scale too low to even start trying to desribe.

If i have learned one thing in my life about companies, it's that they have only one goal... which is to make money! You may call that sad, but it is the reality. As friendly or evil a company might appear to you, their goal in the end is still to make money... as much as possible. So if enough people are "falling" for the MS strategies and pay them their hard earned money, then MS must be doing something right.

I'm not saying they are cool, or that i'm an MS fan (i'm not), but hey, it's business!

PS3 has their exclusives aswell. GT5P being the best example, along with other titles like LBP, KZ2, etc. Having exclusives is nothing more than marketing strategy either.

Nothing new.
Quote from The Very End :Might just beeing the norwegian overhyping it then, seen two reviews where it got 10/10 and 6/6.

You're probably talking about GTAIV. That, indeed, got a 10/10 in a number of reviews. This thread is about the add on, however. There's a seperate thread about GTA IV.
Quote from The Very End :

PS3 has a number of exclusive titles as well, some of which appear to be awesome games. I don't see any Xbox players crying over it.

I was of course talking about the add on. Generally I disagreed with 10/10 (as I said I'm on a 8-9, witch is damn good allready, it's no doubt it's a great game, but it's not worth the pefect 10/10 IMO) on main game aswell, but the add on did recive 10/10 aswell at two if not three spots.

But I see that you want to turn this out to a fanboy discussion, so I am out of here.

Edit : FYI I have no consolls, either xbox nor ps3.
-
(obsolum) DELETED by obsolum
Quote from The Very End :I was of course talking about the add on. Generally I disagreed with 10/10 (as I said I'm on a 8-9, witch is damn good allready, it's no doubt it's a great game, but it's not worth the pefect 10/10 IMO) on main game aswell, but the add on did recive 10/10 aswell at two if not three spots.

My bad, I didn't think there would be reviews of the add on only 2 days after its release. And you're right, it's not worth a 10/10 IMO, even though I haven't played it that much. In the end a review is nothing more than one person's opinion
Quote from The Very End :
But I see that you want to turn this out to a fanboy discussion, so I am out of here.

I don't. I just think it's a bit foolish of people to complain that this add on is Xbox exclusive. Like jibber said, it was announced that Xbox would get exclusive content long before GTA IV was even released. And like jibber also said, that's business. And like I said, ps3 has its exclusive titles as well. No need to hate on ps3 for that, either.
Quote from obsolum :
I don't. I just think it's a bit foolish of people to complain that this add on is Xbox exclusive. Like jibber said, it was announced that Xbox would get exclusive content long before GTA IV was even released. And like jibber also said, that's business. And like I said, ps3 has its exclusive titles as well. No need to hate on ps3 for that, either.

Exactly. And now lets get back on topic and discuss the add-on itself.
It doesn't deserve 10/10, I would give it 8.5/10, it gets an extra .5 because of the new music they added.
Argh, I just downloaded the updated for this, and now I lost my FBI Buffalo. Damn it!
Quote from obsolum :Argh, I just downloaded the updated for this, and now I lost my FBI Buffalo. Damn it!

Don't worry, they turn up in quite a few missions. There is a cheat code to unlock one anyway.
Quote from obsolum :My bad, I didn't think there would be reviews of the add on only 2 days after its release.

There were more than 4 full reviews for GTA IV before it was even released So I can understand if the DLC receives many reviews too, even after 2 days it was out.

Unfortunately I'm not going to play it, I only play games on the PC

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Don't worry, they turn up in quite a few missions. There is a cheat code to unlock one anyway.

Thing is, IMO getting anything without cheating looks so much better than just cheating, because the person actually managed to get the car by himself instead of calling for a number. I would be so happy if I just managed to take the FBI Buffalo, but I wouldn't if I have cheated
Quote from Velociround :Thing is, IMO getting anything without cheating looks so much better than just cheating, because the person actually managed to get the car by himself instead of calling for a number. I would be so happy if I just managed to take the FBI Buffalo, but I wouldn't if I have cheated

Exactly, I never use cheats in any games Maybe a walkthrough guide on the internet when I'm really stuck somewhere, but that's about as far as my "cheating" goes.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Don't worry, they turn up in quite a few missions. There is a cheat code to unlock one anyway.

Haven't seen any others so far. But then again, I'm not really on the lookout either, especially not when I'm being chased by cops, which is when they're most likely to show up, I guess.

Is it me or do the bikes handle a bit better now with the update? I have no idea what the update did exactly, I just find that the Hexer handles pretty nicely now, whereas I hated it the first few times I rode it.

Also, it seems that when you pick up a prostitute now you can't choose anymore between the different "services", and the view moves away to a point where you can't see anything going on just like in the previous games, unlike in the original story where you had a pretty good view of what was happening Seems a bit dumb to "censor" that, especially since there's some full frontal male nudity in the game where nothing is censored
It's FIB, not FBI. At least in GTA IV.

And yes, i found the bikes handle slightly better now. But it's only my imagination perhaps. At low speed it looks better when turning, since the handlebar is now connected to the bike like it should be.
Quote from jibber :It's FIB, not FBI. At least in GTA IV.

Yeah, but the car is named "FBI Buffalo" if I'm not mistaken
Completed this today (67%) with 6 hours 3 mins on the timer. I liked it a lot, especially the integration with Niko in certain missions. Could have done with being a bit longer though I think.
Finally got round to playing it, and its very, very good.

I like the way it takes GTA in a completely new direction, it feels like a whole new game, playing it feels so different to GTAIV, infact, it almost looks like a whole new city, I don't know if they have changed to graphics somehow, but it looks very different.

Love the new content, the new rhapsody car is great, as is the buffulo, also the new bikes are top class, not 100% sure on the bike handling, it is better, but its still a bit odd.

Theres only a couple of things I don't like, firstly, the group riding mechanic doesnt work, the AI riders bash, crash and generally get in the way, also, its really, REALLY sweary, which means I can't play it within earshot of more sensitive ears.

Lastly, I don't like the fact that some of the content, i.e. seagulls, gang wars, don't have achievements attached, which sorta takes some of the fun and point out of doing them.

Other than that, best DLC I have played so far

Oh yeah, the integration with Niko is classic
If i'm not mistaken, there's a new graphics filter which can be turned off in the options. I like it however and didn't bother.
Quote from jibber :If i'm not mistaken, there's a new graphics filter which can be turned off in the options. I like it however and didn't bother.

Ah, I should have a look at that then. It does indeed look different - a bit "grittier" if that's even a word? - from GTA IV and I'm not sure I like it much. I'll have to compare a bit.

Thanks for the tip
I took the filter off, and it still looks very different from GTAIV, I can't put my finger on what is it.
Quote from danowat :I took the filter off, and it still looks very different from GTAIV, I can't put my finger on what is it.

Try jacking the saturation level up in the Display options. That did it for me. It was set to 50%, which made the game look a bit "washed out" so to speak. I set it to 100% and I find it looks much better IMO.

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned - Now Available
(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG