The online racing simulator
getting this computer this year need your thoughts.
Get what you want, that's the most important bit.

I guess specs wise that Lappy looks ok.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Get what you want, that's the most important bit.

I guess specs wise that Lappy looks ok.

alright..
#4 - G!NhO
its alright i guess, but intel centrino is not very fast right?
Quote from G!NhO :its alright i guess, but intel centrino is not very fast right?

Agreed, you could get a Dual Core in a lappy, but I don't think he needs it. I am also looking for a laptop for my next school, so I will keep reading this thread.
#6 - Jakg
Quote from G!NhO :its alright i guess, but intel centrino is not very fast right?

Intel Centrino means Intel CPU + Intel Wireless Card. Nothing more...

My laptop is Centrino - but it's got a Core 2 Duo...
#7 - G!NhO
Oh ok, well Bose here once told me that Centrino was a slower CPU
Yeah the old centrino's were slow.. the new ones are all Core 2 Duo's
#9 - G!NhO
I have an Intel Centrino Duo Core T5500 in my laptop
#10 - Jakg
*facepalm*

There is no such CPU as a Centrino - Centrino JUST means it's an Intel CPU, certain mobo chipsets & an Intel WiFi card.

An older laptop would have a P4 or Core Duo which were shit - a newer laptop may have a Core 2-Based Pentium, Celeron or Core 2 chip which are quite decent.

You can't have a Centrino CPU.
what does this mean then?
#12 - Jakg
"Intel uses Centrino Duo branding for laptops with dual-core (Core Duo) and (Core 2 Duo) processors and retains the Centrino name for laptops with single core (Core Solo) processors. Some of the initial Core Duo laptops, are still labeled as Intel Centrino rather than Centrino Duo."

I'm posting on a "Centrino Duo" laptop. But you could have an old P4 Dual-Core laptop witha "Centrino Duo" label.
So basicly i got f*cked when i bought my laptop o_O
#14 - Jakg
Not neccesarily - it totally depends whats actually IN your laptop.

The Centrino badge means absolutely nothing, tbh - same as Viiv badge doesn't.
Quote from G!NhO :So basicly i got f*cked when i bought my laptop o_O

Why don't you run CPU-Z and find out? BTW a T5500 is a Core 2 Duo. As Jakg said, Centrino is just a combination of technologies and nothing more. It does not describe a single component in the computer, just that the computer as a whole meets a certain standard specified by Intel.
Most of the newer laptops come with Core 2 Duo's nowadays, hard pressed to find one that doesn't...
#17 - Jakg
How about basic laptops with the Pentiums in it (i.e. the GF's Dell or about 40% of the PC's at work) or the ones with Turions in them? (about 25% of the PC's at work...)
Quote from Jakg :How about basic laptops with the Pentiums in it (i.e. the GF's Dell or about 40% of the PC's at work) or the ones with Turions in them? (about 25% of the PC's at work...)

Or the netbooks with Atoms in
Quote from Jakg :How about basic laptops with the Pentiums in it (i.e. the GF's Dell or about 40% of the PC's at work) or the ones with Turions in them? (about 25% of the PC's at work...)

Because PC World is shit.
#20 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Because PC World is shit.

Either way a hell of a lot of laptops still aren't Core 2 Duo...

EDIT - The GF's laptop was direct from Dell with a Pentium (admittedly the Core 2 based one)
im just wondering if this could run gta iv at med to high settings?
Quote from mutt107 :im just wondering if this could run gta iv at med to high settings?

Seen bit slower notebooks running GTA 4 with decent speed, so I think it will do ok. Not fine, but will be playable.
Quote from RevengeR :Seen bit slower notebooks running GTA 4 with decent speed, so I think it will do ok. Not fine, but will be playable.

ok all i needed to know and of course it will run lfs at max

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG