The online racing simulator
Bumping on straights
With cars which are equal or very close in performance, when a faster driver does some bumping on a straight without even attempting a proper pass, how am I supposed to handle that: report him? only if it ends up in an accident? only if it happens more than once? not at all?
I guess It's up to you as Bumping is normally reserved for ovals. If It happens once or twice or by accident I would let it slide. But If they are bmuping me down the whole straight or cause an accident I would raise a report. If they continue to do it after I ask them to stop that is.
Good question.

I can understand that it's a regular occurence with some of the big cars on the oval, but bumpdrafting with single-seaters is silly. It's an unfortunate consequence of LFS's less-than-perfect collision detection that it's even possible to do so.
the only itime i ever bumpdraft someone is when i know them and we are both on say teamspeak so we can comunicate what is happeneing, as for doing it to a random person no it shouldnt be allowed
Shouldn't it be disallowed anyway?

Surely it's gaining an unfair advantage by teaming up which I would have thought goes against the spirit of CTRA.
#6 - Bean0
It isn't specifically mentioned in the rules.

It could come under

Quote :Wrecking: Drivers must not deliberately ram or obstruct other drivers in a manner deemed unsporting. Such acts of malice will be dealt with most severely.

But bump drafting is not a malicious act, as the bumpee gains advantage as well as the bumper.
I hate bump drafters. I reported one once and they got punished. (points reduction iirc)

Bottom line, if you haven't agreed with someone beforehand that your happy to be bump drafted , report them.
Quote from Bean0 :
But bump drafting is not a malicious act, as the bumpee gains advantage as well as the bumper.

Untill you get a microsecond of lag and it fires both cars off into space

Bumpdrafting, IMO, has no place in LFS untill the collision detection is up to scratch.
Quote from danowat :Bumpdrafting, IMO, has no place in LFS untill the collision detection is up to scratch.

Bump drafting has no place in racing. Certainly not in road/track racing anyway.
Quote from The Moose :Bump drafting has no place in racing. Certainly not in road/track racing anyway.

Thats the point I was trying to make earlier. Surely whether the bump drafters know each other or not it is against the spirit of racing.
Quote from menantoll :Surely whether the bump drafters know each other or not it is against the spirit of racing.

Absolutely. Unfortunately, unless CTRA make it against the rules people will continue to do it.
I bet you will regret saying that the next time your behind your teammate and trying to run away from the people behind...
Quote from hyntty :I bet you will regret saying that the next time your behind your teammate and trying to run away from the people behind...

What nonsense are you talking about? The only people Moose is ever behind are the ones he's about to lap
Quote from obsolum :What nonsense are you talking about? The only people Moose is ever behind are the ones he's about to lap

Damn straight!!!
When it happened to me i kindly said "Stop it!!!" and then they did. Unfortunatly, the guy didn't know how to overtake and knocked me straight off the track the next corner
It's a shame the bumpee can't get insurance details for damages lol!
Quote from NightShift :With cars which are equal or very close in performance, when a faster driver does some bumping on a straight without even attempting a proper pass, how am I supposed to handle that: report him? only if it ends up in an accident? only if it happens more than once? not at all?

Normally it's beneficial to you because you get the same speed (normally) that you would if you were drafting the length of the straight. Only bother reporting it if it ends up in an accident or something. Not saying it should happen, but unless it puts you off the track just let it go..
If it happens a few times in a row I tend to brake a little earlier than expected.
I'm quite positive the driver in question was NOT bumpdrafting - we were racing on a SO config with XRGs, the speed difference so great that he catched up on me halfway through the back straight.

Instead of attempting a proper pass, he started bumping me - I blinked my brake lights to no avail, and eventually brake and let him pass, I did this to avoid a yellow flag in case he would try bump'n'steal-ing on the coming corner.

A couple races earlier I was spun in a similar situation (same spot, different driver) and being on Race 1, even if I drive cleanly my yellow flag ratio keeps increasing because someone will either crash into my car or in front of it.

IMO this is just an unfair way to make an easy pass on a slower driver, as such I would expect it sanctioned by the rules but it appears to be not, hence the question
As said before, bump drafting isn't against the rules on the CTRA servers. If it causes someone to crash then it would fall under wrecking. Attempting to slow down while being bumpdrafted would only cause more trouble because of the extra chance of lag causing someone to crash, or just being hit at an unfortunate angle.

Although I will say if your yellow flag ratio keeps going up I'd consider learning about how to stay alert as to what's around you, get to know the people you race with, so you know who you can trust to not take you out, and who you'd rather stay away from!

If you feel that, when being bumpdrafted, it's affecting your racing that much, then report it, after all that's what the system is for! If people keep crashing into you, then guess what - report them too!
Did you really read my previous post?
Yes... :doh:

Bumpdrafting can happen at any speed... It's very unlikely someone will pile into the back of you if you're doing 20mph less than them because it's more likely to spin them out than do anything else.

And again, if you know people are going to take you out, give them a wide berth and prepare to sacrifice your line in order to get through safely.. works for me and I manage an 8% YFR..

But never mind.
It's easy to manage a good YFR if you lead the pack. Not as much if you race midfield or among backmarkers, that's no news.

I can either join Race 1 and try to avoid as many crashes as I can, or Race 2 with 0-2 other racers, and that's not going improve my racecraft one bit.

There's no choice really, I can cope with people making mistakes (I make a lot myself) but stuff made on purpose? no thanks
That's what you have to put up with one Race 1 unfortunatly. Nobody really likes it but hey, that's only to be expected on a busy "beginner" server.

Race 2 is somewhat more busy nowadays, been on it most of the evening with between 4 and 12 people for most of the evening. Try going to UFBaby-r of the Single Seater server if it bothers you that much. Otherwise I'm afraid you'll just have to put up with it, or try your best to avoid the idiots. Use the report function!
i get rammed from behind all the time on uf-br... i'm still waiting for this guy to get banned.
Seems like you got your wish.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG