The online racing simulator
Personal Torrent?
(15 posts, started )
Personal Torrent?
I am trying to download a stupidly large file (8gb, that's the biggest file I've ever downloaded) but there is no way I can do it in one go. My laptop goes from place to place almost daily so I can't have the download running constantly.

I was wondering if there was such a tool that does the following:
  1. Downloads the file to its own server
  2. Turns the file into a torrent
  3. Gives me the torrent so I can leech from it whenever I want
It doesn't have to be free; I'm willing to pay!

Any ideas?
#2 - DeKo
highly doubt it, what i would recommend is getting a download manager, lets you pause and resume downloads whenever.
Yup just use a download manager and download away..
#4 - Bean0
I take it you're on about the MoE vid.

Large files are generally available as sets of .rars, this makes it easier to get part of it again should it corrupt.

Can you (or someone else) access the webserver that the vid is on and archive it up into 50mb chunks ?
Quote from DeKo :highly doubt it, what i would recommend is getting a download manager, lets you pause and resume downloads whenever.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Yup just use a download manager and download away..

Thanks

Firefox has a pause function on its download manager, but sometimes when I unpause a download, it fails. I guess this doesn't happen with a proper download manager?

Quote from Bean0 :I take it you're on about the MoE vid.

Large files are generally available as sets of .rars, this makes it easier to get part of it again should it corrupt.

Can you (or someone else) access the webserver that the vid is on and archive it up into 50mb chunks ?

I don't have access, but I will find out if it can be done.
#6 - amp88
Quote from Bean0 :I take it you're on about the MoE vid.

Something I've been thinking about doing (but I can't guarantee it will actually happen) is splitting the video into 24 hourly segments and offering each of those for download. It'll take a bit of time to get it sorted though

@ Michael. The best idea in this case would be to use FileZilla FTP Client to download the file. You can connect to the MultiBC FTP with anonymous login and start the download. It can then be resumed no problem from wherever you left it. You can also easily apply download speed limits.
Free Download Manager
According to MultiBC, 1 hour of video = 350mb. I'd say 350mb is manageable for most Internet users (even me!).

Thanks guys for your help. I'm now downloading.
... hmmppf. If I had spotted this thread earlier I could have persuaded you to pay me for the job in question.
Quote from hyntty :... hmmppf. If I had spotted this thread earlier I could have persuaded you to pay me for the job in question.

But I know you're a pushover and that I could have probably brought the price down to a box of Tic Tacs.
#11 - DeKo
im sure if you were struggling, a few of us could seed a torrent for a small donation
#12 - Jakg
DownThemAll?

Great download manager for Firefox
#13 - arco
use opera,u can stop downloads and continue them anytime you want

Personal Torrent?
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG