The online racing simulator
#1 - Migz
How To Allow Only Select Mac Addresses Connect To My Wifi Modem?
Quite simply, in my house theirs no password on the internet. I did used to have a password but the wireless modem kept playing up when it did, so i just took it off.
A while ago a friend of mine told me you could set it so that all mac addresses besides specifically picked ones cant connect to your wireless modem.
I could never be bothered to try this until now, but now i have tried it it seems i cant get it to work :/
I have the page where i can select which mac addresses to allow, and which to deny.
I put in my current computer and my brothers computer to be allowed, and didn't set anything else. I then tried to connect to the internet on my ipod touch and i was allowed in.
Am i doing something wrong? Or is it only possible to set mac addresses that you want to connect, and ones that you don't want to connect? Instead of being able to set it so all addresses cant connect unless told specifically otherwise?
Rather than do all that, why not just try a different method of security? Would just be easier.
#3 - Migz
I hate security :/ Ever since the 2 weeks that i spent trying to get my internet to work after the security on my router wouldn't let anyone in i just don't want that type of security again. Much rather just do something that should be easier.
MAC address spoofing is easy. Something MUCH more secure is needed alongside it.
#5 - wien
Quote from JohnUK89 :MAC address spoofing is easy.

While true, it's hardly something most home users have to worry about. Unless you've got a nuclear silo connected to your home network I mean. People mostly use this stuff to prevent their neighbours from stealing interwebs, and for that MAC-address limitations usually do the job.
#6 - Migz
My house is surrounded by polish immigrant workers :/
Not to be rascist but i doubt they have the time, or the intelligence to do that. Even if it is easy..... Alot of people nowerdays just use computers to connect to the internet, and msn and download things. And then thats it.
I just need a basic connection to stop someone standing outside my house and just stealing my internet.
#7 - majod
maybe you should post your modem model and/or pdf of user manual

on my router, I just enable mac address control and add addresses to table, where I assign IP addresses to them.

Usually it's much easier to configure it rather than using WPA/WEP security. And you should disable broadcasting your network SSID.
Once someone gains access to your network, they can see all internet traffic. Unless you make it so that no-one can change the ARP table.
#9 - wien
Quote from wheel4hummer :Once someone gains access to your network, they can see all internet traffic.

Unless the traffic goes through SSL, which anything important should be anyway.
Quote from wien :Unless the traffic goes through SSL, which anything important should be anyway.

SSL won't prevent anyone from accessing the data. What do you suppose happens if they get the SSL certificate before you do?
#11 - wien
Quote from wheel4hummer :SSL won't prevent anyone from accessing the data.

Hmm, have I misunderstood SSL that badly? Can someone listening in on the server-client communication decrypt the stream using only the transmitted information? If so, what's the point?
Quote from wien :Can someone listening in on the server-client communication decrypt the stream using only the transmitted information?

Yes. They are executing a man in the middle attack. The client sends the packet requesting the SSL connection, but the packet goes through the hacker's computer first. Then, the packet from the server containing the SSL certificate goes to the hackers computer. Then they send a false SSL certificate to your computer. But, it would cause your web browser to warn you that the certificate is not validated. If you ever see a message like that, refuse the connection. You have to know every possible way of your network's security being compromised to be able to protect yourself against attacks.
It's going to be OT, but for example openVPN uses diffie-hellman key exchange to pass SSL certificates over insecured connection
#14 - wien
Quote from wheel4hummer :...

Okay, so it's only a problem while establishing the connection and you will get a warning is someone tries it. That's what I thought earlier, but it sounded like someone could silently listen in on your connection even through SSL, which made me wonder.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG