The online racing simulator
My first crash ._.
(81 posts, started )
nice spill.

i think i'll stick to cars.

how's the road rash?
Hey man.
Sorry to hear that. It always sucks when you crash. Dont you have insurance for it?
Good luck with fixing mate!
Everyone crashes. You're not a biker until you do

Welcome to the club

I'd say don't bother with the scrapes, they'll just appear again when you bin it the next time. And whack a second hand lever on. I'd think the Kawks all use similar levers, so just find the cheapest one of eBay, study the pictures and see if it fits You'll save yourself a fair bit of cash too.

The scratches are battlescars. A little reminder of an incident you'll come to laugh at. Leave it be, as a memory

My rear brake lever bodged from a shelf-peg is a constant reminder of my 100mph stack in the wet. Bloke at the MOT centre was well impressed with it!
Well I did get a replacement lever for £14.25 inc postage (was a new pattern part)

Battle scars or not, they're leaking oil everywhere (which I didn't realise till I was sanding them down today) so I'm going to have to get them replaced whether I like it or not!

Vinny I don't have comprehensive insurance so I can't claim the money back, wouldn't do it anyway because it's uneconomical in the future because your premium goes up and you lose your no-claims bonus!
Quote from Klutch :Erm..how do you lose the back end of a FWD on a freeway, unless you were doing something stupid?
Also 150kph...speeding...

something stupid?

THE ROADS WERE WET.

I take it you never drove on a wet road. And i'll speed if I want... I don't think it's any of your concern.
Might explain why you crashed though - speeding without due consideration for the conditions. I'd say that's pretty stupid.
Quote from tristancliffe :Might explain why you crashed though - speeding without due consideration for the conditions. I'd say that's pretty stupid.

I've done it before on ice.
unlucky man, i hope you feel better, i understand what it's like for something so close to you to get scratched or ruined.
Mm, was following up on the cracked engine casing, took off the oil cap just to check and I was greeted by some mayonaise in the cap. (Though this was probably because of when I washed the bike when I got it home, I only did 5ft with the engine running after this)

I have sinced drained the oil and it's likely it'll stay that way until I get the replacement parts through at the end of the week. Lucky I noticed, could have done some serious harm. :hide:
mayo? gross.
Lol it's where water gets in with the oil - Normally a sign of head gasket failure.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Lol it's where water gets in with the oil - Normally a sign of head gasket failure.

ah, never heard that expression before...

actually, it's rather coincidental, my mother asked me about the head gasket and i was like "if it was your head gasket, your engine would either leak like a sieve, or your tailpipe would be spewing all this nasty junk from burning oil and antifreeze" and then i mentioned about oil getting into the radiator, and antifreeze getting into the oil pan.

edit: hrm wrong thread perhaps... heh.
yeah, just check under the cap.
seeing as this now has turned a bit into tell a story of how you crashed i should note that yesterday i very nearly crashed the punto
hit some black ice at night in a bend on a road which in 6 years of driving it several times a day has never hit me with anything unexpected (i braketested on another road right after setting off and deemed the conditions to be more or less safe)

anyway got into a nasty tankslapper at around 60-80 and caught it after having to countersteer... not sure actually but id guess it was 6 times
luckily on this road which is barely wide enough for 2 cars there was no one close to me no oncomming traffic and no cyclist or anything at that time
the guy in front of me... lets call him adrian was a good 100m away too far enough to not be an obstacle but close enough to stop me from using my lights on full beam which might have enabled me to see it

the irony of it all is that it happend just one day after i switched my wallpaper from windows blue to this
http://mantovani.zip.net/images/monaco.jpg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Mm, was following up on the cracked engine casing, took off the oil cap just to check and I was greeted by some mayonaise in the cap. (Though this was probably because of when I washed the bike when I got it home, I only did 5ft with the engine running after this)

I have sinced drained the oil and it's likely it'll stay that way until I get the replacement parts through at the end of the week. Lucky I noticed, could have done some serious harm. :hide:

90% of the time the 'mayo' is just condensation inside the crankcase mixing with the oil, and absolutely nothing to worry about if you do routine oil changes. If it's pretty much just on the cap then it's that. If the surface of the oil has a layer of 'mayo' on it then you might well have a problem.

It's rare for a head gasket failure to result in anything coming out of the exhaust. The in-cylinder pressures are much much higher than the coolant, so what happens is the cooling system becomes pressurised and air-locked. Of course, the cylinders also suck, but the small amount of water that would be sucked through the leak would be vapourised by the combustion process anyway. If you have water coming out of your exhaust it is usually simply built up condensation, suggesting you aren't getting your exhaust hot enough for it to dry - use your engine harder. Granny cars nearly always have water pouring from their tailpipe because they never use more than 1200rpm (except when moving off, when it seems that 5000rpm and 3 minutes of clutch slipping is the norm).
Quote from tristancliffe :Granny cars nearly always have water pouring from their tailpipe because they never use more than 1200rpm (except when moving off, when it seems that 5000rpm and 3 minutes of clutch slipping is the norm).

Haha nicely put, and very true.

Bad luck S14, I'm shocked that you have actually cracked a case and done serious damage. They just look like scratches.

Have you not run the engine at all since the fall?
I had to ride it home afterwards. As soon as I got it home (it was covered in rain and road shit), I washed it and then drove it into the garage. I'm assuming that a little bit of water got into the oil (not an overly large amount as the oil itself only has a few bubbles of the stuff at the egde, it was pretty clean anyway, only 1500 or so miles old).

Since then, it's not been used. :o

I'm shocked it went through as well, tbh. That £172 that I've spent on them was going on an Ixil Hyperlow exhaust, but life has to be a bitch.

As ever Tristi your mechanical knowledge astounds us.
Wow, glad your alright and the bike is in relatively good shape despite the circumstances.

August 7th 9:37a.m. 5 months ago I was headed to an appointment on my 97 Bandit 1200. It was my 13th bike I have owned, been riding since I could walk and know respect for my machines! The bandit put down more power than I or anyone else would ever need on public roads and it was suprisingly not the power that caused the crash, it was my stupid idea I had things figured out.

I came up a small hill at about 55mph and as I came off the crest of the hill on the throttle the bars started to headshake. I have owned alot of twins (thumpers) and most noteably was my 77 Yamaha XS650. It got a little wobble and you give it gas to get out of it... not the same case when the wobble is cause by accelerating in the first place on a big mean 1200 4 cylinder bike. Rolling off it would have sufficed.

I gave it gas and the headshake went to full on tank slapper and before I could roll off the throttle to subside the wobble the rear tire started to follow the front into what I refer to as the "dance of death", the rear tire loads up one direction and after unloading, it goes airborne and contacts the road, storing more energy and springing back the opposite. THis only happens 2 or 3 times before the enevitable happens.

I got thrown high side, let go of the bars to not get mouse trapped, and flew over my flipping and spinning bike, hit the ground at an estimated 70-80mph due to the accel to get rid of the wobble. I tumbled for 437ft according to the county police and broke 3 bones in my right foot, grade 3 seperated my left shoulder, severly sprained both ankles, and pretty much destroyed my bike. Nothing left on it was worth anything, it was totalled.

I stood up after a check of my spine and neck (I was laying in the road and had to move for fear of traffic hitting me) walked 30ft on my messed ankles and foot, sat down, and called the authoritys and an ambulance. 48 hours in the hospitol and I was back home, living alone, on crutches and a cast, 10% of my range of motion in my left arm, but alive and well.

(I was wearing this years model HJC CL-SP, a mid 80's Hien Gericke riding jacket, knee, shin, elbow, and fore arm armor, race spec boots, and tecknic chicane gauntlets... waaaay over dressed for being an american rider, but, under dressed for my situation. I picked the bandit over a 98 R6, 89 FZR600, and a gently downed 02' R1... it was the logical step in power and weight from the 750 Seca I had previously)

I have been riding for nearly 8 years on the street and my first street bike was a 1976 Honda CB360T, 30hp but probably 20hp more than I needed at 17 years old and being a first street bike it scared the living hell out of me on a daily basis. My idiot self couldn't keep off the throttle every chance I got.

The world of motorcycling is a dangerous one and the sooner we learn the perils and accept the consequenses the better. I am very glad you are unhurt, the bike is repairable, and your as human as everyone else (scared) when it comes to getting back on and going back to the level you were at.

I have since ridden, my avatar is a pic taken from my first ride since my crash and have been out for nearly 600 miles since my crash. A few around the block runs on my buddies 06 Ninja 650R, a few hundred mile loop on another friends 07 GSXR1000 (totally retarded bike), and a few hundred more miles on another guys 07 R6 (sweet, easy to control bike!) and I still have problems with letting the bike move about under me.

Rebuilding that confidence in your rear tire will be a chore but don't give up, these are the experiences that will shape you into a better, smoother, SAFER rider!

Good luck, best wishes, and may the sun be at your back and the wind in your helmet vents brother!
Quite a story there - You could have been killed. Lucky you had some decent kit on.

Shame about the bike, though - At least you made a full recovery.

Confidence, I'm not too sure about how dented it is. I was pretty confident with letting the back end slide out a bit, after all it's a regular occurance when you commute on cold, wet, salted roads! Should parts arrive I'll be using it for a 80 mile round trip to an LFS meet, most of which is on fast flowing A roads and/or motorways, so it should be easy enough to nurse myself back into the flow of it.
#71 - Jakg
Oh come on - you'll get on the road, crack open the throttle and as your smile tries to come out of the helmet you'll love 'er again :P
#72 - MR_B
Could be worse..... worse
Ouch.. how the hell that happen..

Either hit some contaminant or applied front brake when he was cranked over = crash. that's pretty bad lol
#74 - MR_B
exactly what I thought! the bike just seemed to turn to jelly underneath him. Lucky the bike didn't land on him when it flipped into the air! :|
Yeah, the camera bike managed fine, and if you look the Deauville rider (probably half asleep because he was riding one :razz began to run wide (dunno why though, must have little confidence ) and then grabbed a fistfull of front brake...

Woulda been bad if the bike had of landed on him, could have been serious!

New gixer thou anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... ey3Fw&feature=related

Kind of like what happened to me, cept instead of fresh rubber it was old oil, and the bike fell down on the right

My first crash ._.
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG