The online racing simulator
More Moderators.....
(238 posts, started )
Quote from danthebangerboy :To be fair, if someone is talking total rubbish, or just being a kretin, spamming, causing trouble, etc then why shouldn't other forum members express their views by telling the people involved that they are being a prat??

They should report the post instead. Everyone who sees a useless thread posting "omg, this is useless", "why post this", "ibtl" etc is more wasteful than the OP. Report the post and move on.
Good point, but occasionly if the OP's comment is so ludicrously idiotic it is hard to hold back sometimes. I am also guilty of the ibtl thing, as i got an infraction for it, and in hindsight, it was a pointless thing to post and i totally accept why i was given it. Another case of the moderators doing their job.
Quote from Bob Smith :Kev - your name and appearance is not trademarked, so there's no legal way of enforcing royalty payments. Plus there's no way your real body would bend into such positions.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

But it would cost you five pounds. For Sam or Franky it'd be £6.50 but I think your beard is cute.
I'm wondering where this thread lost it's sense of humour. Since when can I not call Zeug a twat in irony without my post getting deleted?!

Amateurs... *shakes fist*
Quote from SamH :It's an unfortunate fact that when you become a moderator, many people assume you're constantly asserting your authority with a voice like two tombstone slabs rubbing together

hm does this forum support small caps?
OT - But do you have a shift-key, Shot? I've never ever seen you use an upper-case letter... ever...
Quote from Jakg :OT - But do you have a shift-key, Shot? I've never ever seen you use an upper-case letter... ever...

So...How he can get ?-mark on his post?

Yeah I know = Alt + Num Pad numbers.

Back on topic... I know several LFS-Forum users who would be a moderator anytime, anywhere

tristancliffe
zeugnimod
hyperactive

Those 3 of examples. I know even more but I will not try to steal some attention to write the world's largest post....
I've been hassled to be a mod on several forums and I always say no these days, I dont want the grief. I dont want it, never will, I like my independance and I like the ability to be outspoken if I feel I want too.

I would, for example. be quite happy to lambast Scawen's work as a member on the forum if he did something I thought was daft, like add ABS brakes to road-race cars. If I was a mod i'd have to think very carefully how such a post was received and send it via PM and not have the public discussion on it that was had or if I did i'd have to present it in such a way as to skirt the real issue being discussed.

I wouldnt want that hassle, and I pitty anyone who accepted the role of being a moderator, with the sole exception of the mods i've seen who do not use their power appropriately as it would be political suicide (besides which he'd get the last word in, exagerate stuff, make stuff up, post a twsted history and then lock the thread so there is little point).

I know round here i'd be the last person to ever get asked, and that's because I dont given a damn what anyone thinks of me, speak my mind and tell things how they are.

I wouldnt want to be any other way, and i'm damned glad that I can talk straight and speak my mind - however mad it sometimes is.

So anyone considering becoming a mod, think about it very carefully. Particularly if you enjoy being on the forums and expressing yourself.
Quote from Becky Rose :(besides which he'd get the last word in, exagerate stuff, make stuff up, post a twsted history and then lock the thread so there is little point).

Hmm, anyone want to place a bet on who you think Becky was referring to with this bit? I've got a pretty good guess...
Quote from danthebangerboy :Just get a secondary user name which shows your status as a moderator, that way you can still join in on threads and maybe push it a weeny bit

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that multiple accounts is a bannable offense. Merely creating one would be going beyond "pushing it a weeny bit"
Quote from Dajmin :I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that multiple accounts is a bannable offense. Merely creating one would be going beyond "pushing it a weeny bit"

You get a free forum account with any account made on LFS.net though, so people with more than one licence would have a few.
IIRC they just ban one of the accounts, meaning you can chose what account you want to use if you got multiple accounts. Ofc, if the one is a S2 lisenced account while the other is lisenced I don't think there is much of a choise what account they delete
But completely user ban for having multiple account I have not seen yet, and I would belive they would need to abuse it pretty far before getting banned for that reason.
Quote from 5haz :...we don't want to end up like RSC, with a few million moderators closing every thread.

What? 55 moderators for 1014 active forums? That's 1 per 18 forums. Here, you have a total of 38 forums (not counting league forums, as they have their own moderators) and 9 moderators, which is 1 per 4 forums... I fail to see how your point makes sense... (Oh, and if you do count all of the league forums, and include those moderators, too, the ratio approaches 1:1)

Additionally, RSC averages one thread closure every day (e.g. 14 this month, so far) and every day, ~50 threads and ~600 posts are posted... The moderation log also shows that over 90% of the closed threads are spam threads anyway... so, even being conservative, 1 in every ~400 non-spam threads are closed... I'd like to know where this 'closing every thread' idea comes from...

You might want to check your facts before spouting crap.

Sorry for the rant... I just plainly dislike the huge, unfounded prejudices people have against RSC...

On-topic now: The guys here do a fantastic job of keeping the peace, and keeping the place tidy. They don't, perhaps, moderate as I would, but then that's not up to me. Moderating a forum of this size is no easy task, but when people start threads like this one, harping on about the poor quality of moderation, it becomes significantly more difficult to find the motivation to bother...

So, all I've got to say is, kudos to the mods here... especially as most (all?) of them are holding down full-time jobs And this forum is full of people who seem to have checked out of their brain at the login screen...
Quote from Jakg :OT - But do you have a shift-key, Shot? I've never ever seen you use an upper-case letter... ever...

1. you should read physics threads more often
2. i dont grin at people all the time... i have other options... unlike the mods
Amazing how far offtopic this thread went lol..
Not really did you read it all? You should read it you know it was started by you. It has some good and insightful points mixed in with the drivel
Quote from Becky Rose :I know round here i'd be the last person to ever get asked, and that's because I dont given a damn what anyone thinks of me, speak my mind and tell things how they are.

Not because you come across as a bit unhinged?

I'm sure there are myriad reasons why nobody's asked me to moderate this forum, but chief among them must be that I often visit while blathered, and it would be complete carnage at least once a week.
No.
We all fear that you would rig the funniest forum thingy poll of the year to defeat spanky and xaotik.
Becky isn't unhinged, i think she is brilliant, and not afraid to speak her mind, which is an excellent quality to have. I have it too, but the difference being, i don't always know when to shut up!

Anyway, we don't need more mods, just less idiots posting rubbish, i include myself in that category somewhat as well, as i have asked some monumentally silly questions at times, but i'm learning, i think!
Quote from danthebangerboy :Becky isn't unhinged, i think she is brilliant, and not afraid to speak her mind, which is an excellent quality to have. I have it too, but the difference being, i don't always know when to shut up!

Anyway, we don't need more mods, just less idiots posting rubbish, i include myself in that category somewhat as well, as i have asked some monumentally silly questions at times, but i'm learning, i think!

Too bad her mind sees what she wants to see, with total disregard for fact.
:hide:

Some things are better left unsaid.
Nah, it's easier to just say "**** it" and say shit. Then people will know what you're talking about.
All this reading between the lines... Look the way I see it I've never rowed with a sane person on this forum, but I have rowed with a decent and fundamentally ok one.

That was kev, a looong time ago. We got over it, time moves on, and it's not worth being bitter over whatever it was we argued over (I dont even remember). I'll happily joke, spar, share ideas, and discourse with kev without bringing up an old dispute.

With some people this is not possible.

I dont hold grudges very long, once whatever dispute has settled i'm often the one who makes the peace offers, gestures of goodwill, and bends over backwards to be as accomodating as possible in trying to repair bridges. I'll keep trying, but if i'm rejected then I ocassionally get frustrated and vent off again.

If mod in question is honest he'd have to confess of numerous offers of help, kindness, and support but I doubt you'll get any form of confirmation from him regarding the last year of trying to make peace without twisted word and forked tongue, he doesnt want peace. He wants me gone from this community. Period.

If someone cant get over a silly row over a computer game and throws things back in my face then dont be suprised if every now and then I get fed up and bite back, but i'm not going anyway just because somebody doesnt like me and is prepared to abuse a position of power to post outrageous statements about me as he locks a thread.

So that's said, and that's all i've got to say on that subject. I had my periodical "God dammit" steam build up vent off the other day. Everyone knows there is tension between us, few people - even those in UKCT - know why.

I contribute to this community and earned my place here, and bullying and scare tactics wont get rid of me.

The only thing that will move me on is a dev saying they dont want me here.

If that's the case, i'll pack up and go.

Otherwise he'll just have to accept i'm going to stick around and continue to contribute positively towards LFS and sim racing. I dont know if i'll make efforts for peace again, i'm not sure I have it in me to keep trying, i've no idea if that means I wont feel the need to vent ocassionally or not - I guess we'll find out.
I don't think I know what you fell out about (maybe I do, but I don't think I do) but it seems it was all a long time ago. Maybe give him a bit of distance until you calm down. If you don't make not-so-subtle snide remarks about him then he'll have no cause to retaliate and lock threads.

Move on!
aye Kev, it was over a year ago... My grudgometer depleted a long time ago, just got frustrated the other day when I saw a comment that irked me and we both vented.

More Moderators.....
(238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG