The online racing simulator
#1 - amp88
[SOLVED] Strange Problem - Not Booting Windows
I have a strange issue with my old machine (which I was using as a fileserver before it decided to cough and die).

I'm trying to format and reinstall XP on it but when I reboot the system with the Windows CD in it it boots into the CD, goes through the process of loading all the drivers then says "Starting Windows". After about 10 seconds of nothingness I get a bluescreen. The text is something along the lines of "OMG, I had to put up this blue screen to stop j00r pooter from dieieing". The STOP code is no help (thanks M$).

Previously this machine has been rock solid. Probably a year or more since the last crash...it normally has weeks or months of uptime without a hickup. I've tried removing every device from it except for the Graphics card, one hard drive, one DVD drive and one stick of RAM. I've tried alternating the sticks of RAM but no success. So, I thought this might have been a Windows only problem. I downloaded Ubuntu 8.10 Live CD to give it a go. When I try running that it randomly freezes (it can freeze at the loading screen or at a random point within a couple of minutes of the OS starting). I also tried installing it but that fails at random points too. I tried looking at the voltages in the BIOS and they're not too bad...they seem to be stable there but of course it's not under load. As I said before, it's a solid machine so I have no reason to expect faulty hardware. There have been zero changes lately. Does anyone have any possible solutions or suggestions on how I can actually install an OS on this bad boy? Feedback appreciated, thanks.

Gus.
#2 - dadge
hard drive issues? old hdd. it could be done. you were using it as a fileserver. lots of reading/writing for the hdd.
#3 - amp88
Quote from dadge :hard drive issues? old hdd. it could be done. you were using it as a fileserver. lots of reading/writing for the hdd.

The hard drive that's currently in it was the secondary hard drive in the server (I've kept the primary hard drive out so I can recover any files I need from it at a later date). However, the files which were being served were contained on the discs in the RAID enclosure, not the primary or secondary drives actually in the machine.
#4 - dadge
BSOD usually means hardware. xp cd damaged or corrupt? it could make your cd/dvd drive spaz out.
#5 - amp88
Quote from dadge :BSOD usually means hardware. xp cd damaged or corrupt? it could make your cd/dvd drive spaz out.

It shouldn't be (I verified it when I burnt it and it's been kept in good condition), but even if there was a problem it wouldn't explain why there was a problem with trying to run/install Ubuntu. I downloaded the Ubuntu image today and verified it when I burnt it. I also used the "verify CD image" option from the Ubuntu main menu (and it showed no errors). I'm totally stumped on this one...
#6 - AMB
My dad had a similar problem and needed a new hard drive, so meh

I guess it's too old to end back to the makers for repair?
#7 - amp88
Quote from AMB :My dad had a similar problem and needed a new hard drive, so meh

I guess it's too old to end back to the makers for repair?

I've tried 2 different hard drives in it now and it hasn't made a difference

I built it myself about 5 years ago from components so nothing will be in warranty any more.
Tried a Memtest86 boot disc? I know you've tried different RAM combinations, but give this a go, will give you a definite answer.
#9 - amp88
Quote from pb32000 :Tried a Memtest86 boot disc? I know you've tried different RAM combinations, but give this a go, will give you a definite answer.

Just run Memtest with a single stick there and it completed a pass with no errors.
By any chance have you written down the STOP code?
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :By any chance have you written down the STOP code?

I have several STOP codes. They include (but are not limited to) the following:

STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x777E0892, 0xF7382A1C, 0x00000000)
STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x058934A6, 0xF8981340, 0xF898103C)

There are a few more but I haven't written all of them down.

At the moment I'm trying to put in a PSU from another machine in the house but I'm not sure how that's going to go. You don't realise how good modular PSUs are until you have to work with one that's not!

edit: PSU transfer didn't go very well. After looking at the old one a bit more I don't think it's a viable solution (even to use to test if it's the PSU that's faulty at the moment). I'm going to try replacing the CMOS battery for a quick, cheap fix that may solve the problem.
Installed a new CMOS battery but no change to the situation. I've got a few more error codes (got these just by restarting - it gives a different error code virtually every time):

STOP 0x00000001 (0x8882B566, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x9992B566)
STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x784E7892, 0xF8089A1C, 0x00000000)

I tried booting Mandriva and got the following error:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" and my Scroll Lock and Caps Lock keyboard lights were flashing. From what I've seen about this error (through Googling) it seems you should look at the debugging info immediately before this error, but I haven't yet noted them down. I have a few things to do today so I don't have any more time at the moment, but if anyone can make sense of these I'd appreciate it.

Bloody PCs!
I've just borrowed a new PSU from a local PC shop and it hasn't improved the situation any. The only component left on the possibly dodgy hardware list is the graphics card now.
Quote from amp88 :I have several STOP codes. They include (but are not limited to) the following:

STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x777E0892, 0xF7382A1C, 0x00000000)
STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x058934A6, 0xF8981340, 0xF898103C)
STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x784E7892, 0xF8089A1C, 0x00000000)
STOP 0x00000001 (0x8882B566, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x9992B566)

Doing some research on it turns out to be the RAM (which everything is nowadays). I also found out it might be a DVD drive, have you disconnected that from the motherboard and tried to boot?
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :Doing some research on it turns out to be the RAM (which everything is nowadays).

I've already Memtested the stick of RAM that's in just now and it passed with no errors though

Quote from imthebestracerthereis :I also found out it might be a DVD drive, have you disconnected that from the motherboard and tried to boot?

I've tried it with different drives in the past (one CD-RW and one DVD-RW) with no difference. I just tried there with no optical drive and just the hard drive with the previous install on. It gets to the "We apologise for the inconvenience, but Windows didn't shut down properly. Do you want to boot from Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Safe Mode with Networking or Start Windows Normally. No matter what I select from there it soon reboots itself.

Something I did notice, though, was that the multiplier is at 6.5x in the BIOS. It should be at 12.5/13x (Athlon 2700+, 166 FSB * 13 = ~2.16GHz). However, when I set it to 12.5/13x I get an error at boot ("Warning. CPU have overspeed!!"). This is now leading me to think it could be the CPU that's at fault...?
Is your PC overclocked? If so, try underclocking (if possible?) or set the BIOS values to take up less resources
Quote from imthebestracerthereis :Is your PC overclocked? If so, try underclocking (if possible?) or set the BIOS values to take up less resources

Nope, it was running at standard clocks before. There was no point in having it overclocked because it was just supposed to be an uber reliable server (no jokes about using Windows... ). It is currently underclocked (because it's running the 6.5 multiplier) and it is giving problems. If i try to run at standard clocks (with the 12.5/13x multiplier) it refuses to boot. I've tried a few intermediate steps (8x and 10x) but no joy.
The root of the problem has now been found. Something I'd missed (but my local computer shop spotted) was that some of the capacitors on the motherboard had leaked some yellow fluid which had crystallised on top. So, the motherboard is buggered. Rather than plough more money into it I think it's time to start with a new setup. Thanks for all the replies though
Glad you could figure out what was wrong with it.
#20 - CSU1
Quote from amp88 :Rather than plough more money into it I think it's time to start with a new setup. Thanks for all the replies though

Classic!
Did you notice the jellybean residue around the mouth of the tech guy? They always carry a pocket full of jellybeans for the 'plant' - if any tech guy(and this goes for everyone)ever tells you that your MB is dead for some yellow residue you should immediately get down and give the MB a big lick - if it tastes of jellybean> you know, if not...well
Quote from csu1 : if it tastes of jellybean> you know, if not...well

............your gonna die!!!!!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG