The online racing simulator
Setup idea.
(13 posts, started )
Setup idea.
I was reading about an endless setup comment and had an idea when someone said that the scirocco could have 2 setups, a road going and a sport one. Why not create 3 types of setup:
-Road going or Stock: VERY limited configuration, the base configuration is the same as if someone would buy it in real life. This setup would not exist in GTR's and Single seaters.
-Sport: has more configuration, ranges and precision than the road going. may be applicable to all cars.
-Racing: not that its more open for configuration, but its ranges are more towards efficiecy and stuff.

BUT HEY THEN EVERYBODDY WOULD PICK UP THE RACING ONE!!!!!11

But theres another point: the servers would limit what kind of setup to run with. These setups add NOTHING (not that the race setup is better than the road going, it's more advanced.)
it's just a way to give starters a chance also in races (by making road going setup races to novices and at a higher level, allowing racing setups)

thats it, if you like say somethig, if you don't, well say what you didin't liked =D
What about road cars being road cars, and having no setup ability other than tyre pressure and type? The other bits would be like Bob's Road Going.
Thats an idea. but i think some people would like to tune the road cars into a deeper level for some advanced races. but there could be setup types with different limits. And thats the basic idea. creating setup types that have different limits on tuning (tuning as in suspension and transmission, not bodykits, oh gosh NO). The driver would still create its own setups, but the setup ist would be reorganized to show the special setup types and its custom mades.
#4 - Woz
Quote from Calvinaquino :Thats an idea. but i think some people would like to tune the road cars into a deeper level for some advanced races. but there could be setup types with different limits. And thats the basic idea. creating setup types that have different limits on tuning (tuning as in suspension and transmission, not bodykits, oh gosh NO). The driver would still create its own setups, but the setup ist would be reorganized to show the special setup types and its custom mades.

I am looking forwards to the VW not having setup options It is pure driver skill then, nothing else.

I get the feeling the VW has the potential to become the new GTi replacement
Quote from Woz :I am looking forwards to the VW not having setup options It is pure driver skill then, nothing else.

Add to that forced cockpit view and full manual mode (h pattern and manual clutch) and it would be alot of fun I'm slowly getting the hang of heel toe
Quote from Glenn67 :Add to that [...] full manual mode (h pattern and manual clutch) and it would be alot of fun I'm slowly getting the hang of heel toe

yeah sure... and only G25 users could therefore drive it. are you working for logitech by any chance?
Quote from Bandit77 :yeah sure... and only G25 users could therefore drive it. are you working for logitech by any chance?

That statement is like saying if you run a tripple screen setup you must be using martox TH2G and be working for matrox if you want that as a server option. Both are simply not true - the G25 is just making it easier for Joe Blow to have h pattern & 3 pedals.

I have been on a server were only h pattern, three pedal setups and forced cockpit are allowed through insim - it is very rewarding to race drivers all using the same kit. I'm not saying it should be the norm I am saying it is alot of fun though.
the point is: having things like a forced setup and/or forced view as server option doesn't disable anyone who has the LFS software from joining the race.

making certain (relatively rare) hardware a requirement is a bit elitist and disables a lot of players.

that might be ok as a server-option, but the way you stated it first there was no hint you meant it as an option.
Quote from duke_toaster :What about road cars being road cars, and having no setup ability other than tyre pressure and type? The other bits would be like Bob's Road Going.

Yeah, welcome to the new game :

"Live Like Joe Driver Who Goes Fast Buy Food For The Kids On A Sunday Afternoon"

LFS --> LLJDWGFBFFTKOASA

What makes LFS strong is the adjustabillity of the setups in the road cars. Seriously, Bob Road going pack is a very fun pack, very enjoyable to drive, and when I feel bored at 3am I drive them alone slowly in fern bay black.
However, then if everybody had the same pack, how would the open diff FXO ever think to compete against a Viscous LSD XRT ?

Come on, what you do to your setups in LFS is what you would do to you RL car if you wanted to be competitive on a trackday race...
You wouldn't say "I chose to drive on an open differential because I value more skills than performance", because it is a total nonsense.

I don't know, I thought you guys liked the game "Live For Speed" partly because of the last word? What is up with all the enthousiasm of driving streetable machines? It's something you can do IRL.

LFS, as a game, offers the opportunity to do things that you, for different reasons, wouldn't be able to IRL and, as a physics simulator, makes you do it with the most realism it can acheive. So, basically would you prefer LFS to turn form a racing simulator to an every-day-car-that-you-would-be-able-to-drive-driving simulator ?

I play LFS, and I'm not the only one, because I can take a car and fine tune its handling as I would do IRL if I had money, in order to make it the fastest I can (without using the ABS, though ). Why would you want not to be able to do that anymore ? What is the deep reason that makes you wanna do this ? It, for sure, isn't the fact that you want realism, because otherwise you would've asked for a better tire model...

___

I really like the idea of the OP, because it is a compromise idea.
I would suggest it to be formulated this way, though :
Instead of having three setups, you can have let's say three modes corresponding to three tabs positionned at the left of where the setup selection tab actually is.
For instance, you click on the Road Going, and it displays only the setups matching the road going restrictions.
The same for Sports, with a lot more adjustability
And the same for Performance, with everything virtually adjustable like today (plus restrictions on the gearbox, to which I agree).

So that it would be good for some servers like CTRA, where you basically would start with the Road Going, then progressively go up and be able to race there with the adjustable setups (as if you earned money and installed new parts, without actually having money and parts to install).

It's a very original idea, keep going, as it would shut down the war between people who want locked setups and people who want it to stay this way

EDIT : forget my reformulation paragraph, I did not read well enough the OP's post, and I realize it's formulated exactly the same way I did, my bad :/
Quote from Zen321 :I don't know, I thought you guys liked the game "Live For Speed" partly because of the last word? What is up with all the enthousiasm of driving streetable machines? It's something you can do IRL.

But you shouldn't RACE your streetcar in RL. And if you want to do so then you should do it on a track... and although you CAN do this it's far more convenient to fire up LFS.

Racing non-race-optimised cars is fun to some of us, and racing the very same car (i.e. with exactly same setup) makes sure it's only about driving.

I - for example - love driving, I don't like setting up cars. And I don't want to participate in a setup- but in a driving-competition.
Quote from Bandit77 :But you shouldn't RACE your streetcar in RL. And if you want to do so then you should do it on a track... and although you CAN do this it's far more convenient to fire up LFS.

Racing non-race-optimised cars is fun to some of us, and racing the very same car (i.e. with exactly same setup) makes sure it's only about driving.

I - for example - love driving, I don't like setting up cars. And I don't want to participate in a setup- but in a driving-competition.

Yeah I understand the idea of the fun, but then why should you FORCE people to have locked setups, when you want to drive road legal setups and they want to race their trackday version (my you is not referring to you Banditin particular, but to the advocates of "only one setup for each road car with tires variations allowed").

Racing with Bob Smith's pack is a lot of fun I reckon. I prefer though racing with a race-optimised setup, because I think it is also a big part of the race, to prepare your setup and ensure it is the one that suits my style and allow me to express my skill as good as I can (Since for me, the first team in a race is a driver and his machine).

This is why I really like the OP's idea. It would shut the debate between people who want locked setups and people who do not. Both would be happy : people on my side won't complain because they can still use optimised setups, and people who only wanna drive road locked setups finally will have a way to ensure that everybody use them on their servers

What I like is that it allows two things, without having to prohib another, so in that sense it's a great improvement suggestion
Zen321 just rewrote my idea =D but you're thinking the same way i do.
Basically my idea was to end this setup war by creating "types" of setups, wich can be restricted by server, so novice drivers can have a chance, by showing they got driving skills, not just setup knowledge. And in an advanced play, the limits of setups would decrease allowing more adjustability. Resuming:
Its good for people that just want to race casually, and its good for people that take it seriously.

EDIT: And yes, i also, sometimes, pick a road car, with the road setups and drive either fern bay or south city, i feel like im really driving a car (when i drive the FXO, it feels alot like my dad's Palio Weekend 1.8). Sometimes i put AI's with road going setups so i can feel im in a track day hehe.
Yeah sorry, that's why I added and edit in my first post since I thought I read you wanted 3 setups (and not three kinds of setups)

And this is why I like it, because it allows people with different view of the gameplay to play their own without jeopardizing the liberty of others to do so

Setup idea.
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG