The online racing simulator
Full HD LCD TV
(38 posts, started )
Full HD LCD TV
Hey,

I'm thinking of buying a full hd lcd tv for my pc, since I mostly use my normal pc for just gaming.

Does anyone uses a tv as pc monitor? My nephew tried on on his normal HD tv and it looked like crap (nothing was readable), but full hd has alot more pixels so should I for example also be able to browse on websites etc with a "clear" view?
#3 - ZORER
Yes i use toshiba regza for my pc. It's full hd and has a dvi input(75hz) + pc media window function which lets you to watch tv on the right hand side of the screen while using left side for pc.But the highest resolution for dvi is 1280x1024. You have to get a hdmi video card if you want to use full hd on pc.
It's much better than a high res monitor imo.
Quote from ZORER :Yes i use toshiba regza for my pc. It's full hd and has a dvi input(75hz) + pc media window function which lets you to watch tv on the right hand side of the screen while using left side for pc.But the highest resolution for dvi is 1280x1024. You have to get a hdmi video card if you want to use full hd on pc.
It's much better than a high res monitor imo.

Well I'have been checking out some video cards, they say they have hdmi support, but I don't see any hdmi cable adaptors? At the store i found this:http://alternate.be/html/productDetails.html?artno=JZZU04

So would it than be able to use 1920 x 1080 ? or still 1280x1024
#5 - P V L
Quote from ZORER :But the highest resolution for dvi is 1280x1024.

I heard that before but dunnno where it comes from because I'm using 1920 * 1200 with dvi just fine.
You'll only need a HDMI cable if you plan on playing things like BlueRay movies on your PC.
So it should work on any DVI connector? Cause what I'm wondering is, i would like to buy this video card with hdmi support : http://alternate.be/html/produ ... showTechData=true#tecData but it doesn't has a plugin to connect a hdmi cable.. So I would need that adapter right? But isn't it possible to use that adapter on any other DVI connector?
#8 - bbman
Quote from G. Dierckx :So it should work on any DVI connector? Cause what I'm wondering is, i would like to buy this video card with hdmi support : http://alternate.be/html/produ ... showTechData=true#tecData but it doesn't has a plugin to connect a hdmi cable.. So I would need that adapter right? But isn't it possible to use that adapter on any other DVI connector?

DVI = HDMI without sound - there are no other differences apart from the connector layout... ATI packs a HDMI-adaptor to every new-ish card they sell, so all you need is a HDMI cable to connect it to your TV...

I use a Toshiba 37XV505D, no problems whatsoever... 37" with an LG panel - so it's an IPS panel - for under € 1000, you can't beat that with normal monitors...
#9 - P V L
699.-€ for my philips 37" fullie, Media market special offer I was looking for

a 22 or 24 " tft at that time when it hits me. Fov is full with this tv now.
Well i meant to say, the tv(my) won't let you use higher than that resolution when you connect on dvi port.

edit: i didn't try a dvi2hdmi adapter.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from ZORER :But the highest resolution for dvi is 1280x1024. You have to get a hdmi video card if you want to use full hd on pc.

thats just nonsense
1) hdmi is exactly the same as (single link) dvi video wise
2) the maximum for single link dvi is 1920*1200
3) all graphics cards that matter support dual link dvi which has a maximum res of 2560*1600
Some TVs definitely don't support 1080p via DVI, though. Have to get a DVI->HDMI converter.

fwiw I hear really good things about the Toshiba REGZA 32" 1080p.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Some TVs definitely don't support 1080p via DVI, though. Have to get a DVI->HDMI converter.

fwiw I hear really good things about the Toshiba REGZA 32" 1080p.

1) Have a new-ish graphics card with DVI-output and a HDMI-adaptor included in the box
2) Buy TV and HDMI cable
3) ???
4) Profit!

Come on people, there's tons of information about HDMI and DVI out there, you just have to read it!
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Some TVs definitely don't support 1080p via DVI, though. Have to get a DVI->HDMI converter.

but that just means the tv is rubbish and has no bearing on the fact that dvi will do 1920 just fine
but so dvi and 1920x1080 works just fine on any full hd tv?

Tho I was looking in a folder and there where a few tv's in it and some said "pc support" and others didn't... But maybe I should ask more info in the store..
#17 - Jakg
PC Support usually means a VGA-in port (or it could be a silly compatibility thing such as the "Xbox Compatible" WiFi routers).
ok, just so i have this straight.

Yesturday i bought a 40inch LCD full HD TV (Samsung 5 series). This morning i am going to buy a DVI (graphics card) to HDMI (for the TV side) cable. If i do this, i will be able to use it as a monitor for my PC???? As opposed to using the little analogue cable (VGA) that came with my graphics card thatll plug into both my card and my TV?

What impact will it have if my graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 8600GT) says HD ready on the back. Does it just mean that if i buy a TV card i will only be able to get HD ready resolutions?? and no more impacts?
#19 - Jakg
"HD" on the GFX card just means it'll do HD resolutions (i.e. 720p, 1080i/p, etc), which most of them will all do.

DVI -> HDMI *should* give a better picture, but it's well worth seeing what they recommend in the manual - but VGA would work fine as well (but being Analogue you shouldn't get as good picture - but chances are you won't be able to tell the difference).

PS - Nice TV!
..Except 1920x1200 is greater that 'full HD', and if your monitor is worth anything it'll do 1:1 pixel mapping. et voila! 'Full HD'.

(That therm annoys me a lot. What the hell is 'full HD', people have been using resolutions way over that for years. Marketing FTW.)
Quote from Jakg :"HD" on the GFX card just means it'll do HD resolutions (i.e. 720p, 1080i/p, etc), which most of them will all do.

DVI -> HDMI *should* give a better picture, but it's well worth seeing what they recommend in the manual - but VGA would work fine as well (but being Analogue you shouldn't get as good picture - but chances are you won't be able to tell the difference).

PS - Nice TV!

Not so fast... My Toshiba has a max resolution of only 1280x1024 when I'm connecting my PC via VGA (or D-Sub like they call them now) whereas I'm writing this in Full HD via DVI/HDMI...
#23 - Jakg
Thats why I said check the manual first - the GFX card itself will do some silly resolution up to 8k pixels wide if it's DX10
50Hz or 100Hz ???
Sorry this is "old-ish" thread bump, but I am on topic to avoid making another new thread.

I am currently using dual spanned screens at 2880 x 900. My screen is about 90 cms wide and I'm getting great performance, always 60FPS+ at max settings full grid. Looks great and immersion is unreal, except the black bar in the middle

Normally at 1680x1050 I can get with v-sync off to check 75FPS-180FPS Max settings.

So, I'm looking at getting a Hull HD LCD Television instead. The thing is, I have the choice of 50Hz or 100Hz. Obviosly the 50Hz is alot cheaper. Up to $1000AUD in some cases for 40" TVs.

I am addicted to V-sync and get terribly annoyed and notice it immediately when I turn it off, so I will be using V-sync. From current testing at 3880x900 I know I will get frame rates over 60FPS in any situation with Full-HD 1920x1080.

If I use the 50Hz TV and v-sync, will I just get 50FPS or will interlacing(?) do bizzar things I don't know about? Look, I don't even know if LCD TVs do interlacing, I think some do like 720i, but I don't really know as yet.

If I use the 100Hz TV and V-sync will it just cap at 100FPS? But the problem is I don't think I can attain 100FPS at that Resolution all the time. Sometimes I drop down to 75 FPS.

I don't have much more time to do research because the prices will go up soon (again), but I just want to know if LFS on a Full HD TV at 50Hz is ok. I'm going to try LFS capped at 50FPS for a while to see if it is acceptable. I'm the kind of person that notices when the game jumps from 60FPS down to 50FPS.

You other guys that are alreading using Full-HD TVs for LFS, have you got 100Hz or 50Hz TVs?
Does v-sync just drop it back to the Hz frequency?

My Dedi LFS Rig specs: e8400 Dual Core 3.0GHz | 9600GT 512MB | 4GB Ram

Any input is appreciated. I'm still learning.
Attached images
enb2009_2_11_13_9_38.jpg
Its very simple, if the monitor is 100hz then the monitor/tv cant show more than 100fps ... or i didnt get u right?

Full HD LCD TV
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG