The online racing simulator
Quote :Ban on tyre warmers.

This will result in greater expense, for a list of suggestions that was mostly common sense and beneficial for the sports finances this seemed really odd. So instead of a few hundred quid on a set of tyre warmers the teams are going to be building purpose built heated rooms into their motor homes or out the back of their paddock. Silly silly silly. Tyre warmers are not expensive, i've never understood why so many series ban them on the grounds of expense.

Quote :I can't see why banning refuelling during the race is making anything cheaper and make races more exciting.

mid race refuelling adds a massive expense, it's one of the biggest expensenses in freight. Not only do the teams need to buy the refuelling rigs (they get given 1 in their entrance fee, but Phillipe Massa keeps writing it off), they are also really heavy and cost a fortune to air freight all over the world. The problem is not the fuel or what it does to the races, but rather the refuelling rigs are simply too big and heavy. I know a lot of the teams have a lot of equipment they bring for PR purposes and what have you, but even besides that, the refuelling rigs remain a substantial part of logistics cost of the season.

Quote :First they let every team spend several millions on developing their own KERS just to introduce a standard one for all teams? Yeah, thats what I call saving money. Not speaking of the fact that this kind of technology would get improved quite a bit by motorsport.

Yes I agree, that did seem absolutely rediculous to me too. All that development for 1 year.

Quote :The blankets cost approximately £2200 per set

o.O
I think that shows that F1 has been so frivolous in the past, I dont think blankets need to cost £2200 per set, even if they do.
Quote from Becky Rose on ban on tyre warmers :This will result in greater expense, for a list of suggestions that was mostly common sense and beneficial for the sports finances this seemed really odd. So instead of a few hundred quid on a set of tyre warmers the teams are going to be building purpose built heated rooms into their motor homes or out the back of their paddock. Silly silly silly. Tyre warmers are not expensive, i've never understood why so many series ban them on the grounds of expense.

The rules would probably ban tyre heating completely. One option would be to have the tyres required to be in the garage in plain view with most sets being stored by Bridgestone.. The rules in FIA GT allow tyres to be put in tyre heating oveny things.

Quote :mid race refuelling adds a massive expense, it's one of the biggest expensenses in freight. Not only do the teams need to buy the refuelling rigs (they get given 1 in their entrance fee, but Phillipe Massa keeps writing it off), they are also really heavy and cost a fortune to air freight all over the world. The problem is not the fuel or what it does to the races, but rather the refuelling rigs are simply too big and heavy. I know a lot of the teams have a lot of equipment they bring for PR purposes and what have you, but even besides that, the refuelling rigs remain a substantial part of logistics cost of the season.

What about moving to DTM style refuelling cans?

Quote from On standard KERS :Yes I agree, that did seem absolutely rediculous to me too. All that development for 1 year.

It would be silly, especially as there won't be a tonne of development on the actual KERS, one sensible rule would be a minimum KERS weight with underweight ones having ballast bellow it.

Quote from On the cost of tyre warmers :o.O
I think that shows that F1 has been so frivolous in the past, I dont think blankets need to cost £2200 per set, even if they do.

Well, that could be a start ... what is needed is severe technical regulations cost cutting to cut budgets down to a sensible level.
Quote from Becky Rose :o.O

Ferrari has been using the same set(s) for quite a long time, may bu up to 10 years now.
Quote :What about moving to DTM style refuelling cans?

I dont watch the DTM so I just you tubed it, and my thinking is that one of the reasons F1 currently use those big heavy rigs with 2-3 man hoses is because they take a heck of a lot of fuel to run an engine for 2 hours at 19000 revs, admittedly now planning to be limited to 17k, but all the same, I dont think the pit crew would be able to lift the jerry can, and if they could I dont think it would be able to hold enough fuel to be worthwhile.

Mind you this is speculation, I dont really know how many kg of fuel an F1 car gets through in a race these days. All I know is they measure it in kg (mass doesnt change but volume changes with heat, something to think about when you next fill up your car anyway...)
NASCAR have 83 litre fuel tanks, and they use refuelling cans.

P.S. I don't watch D"T"M either.
#31 - JJ72
cans are possible but really would look a bit stupid going back for more than a decade of technology. and will pretty much turn all races into a one stopper if it takes much longer to do.
#32 - Gunn
What a disastrous set of changes. Formula 1 is now wearing a pink dress.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG