The online racing simulator
i know, but bt want so much money to connect me with a line that i kind of figured this would work ok for a while. I will start saving up (sacrifice the beer) ntil i have the £150 or so that they want and then all will be good again!
It would be best in the long run imo. Stuff's very expensive now, I know.

Even with the 15% VAT BT want that much?
yeah, apparently i have to pay a one off connection charge, despite i know for a fact there is wiring from the wall socket in my flat to somewhere (my uncle used to work for bt and looked for me, its all there) so all my £150 really pays for is for some desk jockey at bt to flick a switch.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Forgot to mention Japan. :doh:

But my point stands clear. Most people in the UK are on 8mb or under connections, and many phone lines can only accept up to around 5 - Unless you're on fibre optic (which not many people are as you often need a Virgin satellite TV package to buy it)

"Fastest advertised broadband speed" is the worst way to measure this. It gives you no indication as to the actual speeds you'll achieve or the quality of the line.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Woohoo 3rd last (Although it must be a bit old...We can get up to 30mbps in cities now ya know)

LFS should run fine for you, think of all the people on dial-up who have much worse speeds, and they manage fine. As for the bandwidth, I don't have an exact figure, but there's no fear of your 800-odd MB being used up in an evening. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get a week's worth of LFS out of it to be honest

I've managed a few good battles on my dialup connection. I just need to avoid the race starts, so I start from the pits.

IMO, there are far too many variables to try to guess at how long you'll be able to run LFS.
only way to find out is to purchase 1gb and use it only for lfs. see how long it lasts. measure how many cars are on the server each time and you might be able to work out the average mb per car per hour.
As i said in my first post, I've done a lot of test with 3G connection at work, a lot of workmate need to work in train etc.. and bandwith was variable. I've been able to reach 100ko/s of download and 30k/s of upload, rarely better, much often worst ..... its a good connection to watch website, e-mail, documentation. So its perfect in the case that you didn't need a constant fast and reliable connection*.
Playing online it's something else... 1Gb of transfert to play lfs in a month is more than needed. But i'm sure you'll gonna have some connection problem with the Up and down bandwith speed...

and please do convertion to ko/s, by divising your KBPS by 8 ....
it is Just the ISP talking about KBPS, because its theorical, and it seems so faster......
7 MBPS and not 7mo/s is my advice broadband speed
i can download near 900ko/s so take a look at this

(7 MBPS * 1024) = 7168 kbps
(7168kbps / 8) = 898ko/s -> 900ko/s......

after you convert your speed, to KO/s, it will be easier to verify if you need a bigger bandwith limit !!!.. because you cannot verify it, by comparing KBPS directly to your 1GB limit :-P

and please don't care if i do some mistake, i try to write in english !!
yeah i think most of us know that. 8 bits = 1byte. but what they don't know is that 4bits= nibble (i didn't make that up i swear)
isps advertise in Mb/S (megabits per second) they confuse customers into thinking that it's MB/S (megabytes per second). this is very common and is easy to see why. an uppercase b means "byte" and lower case is "bit".
a 6mb/s (uk average apperently) works out at just over 0.5MB/S (megabyte)
i have a 20Mb/S line. to make it a bit more simple, divide your isp speed by 10 so i have a 2MB/S (megabyte per second). this is not exact but it is one of the easiest ways to work it out. instead of multiplying by 1024 and dividing by 8.
Yup - Well known that.

If you have a 1mb connection, you can expect to download at approx 100kbs.

If you have a 2mb connection, you cna expect to download at approx 200kbs.

Etc etc.
maybe a lot of person know that, but take a look at his question.. He want to know how many time he can play online with 1gb of bandwidth.. and after that in an other post, he spek about a 152kbps speed test...

i wanted to be sur that he understand than calculating bandwidth speed of 152kbps and 1 GB of transfert is impossible !!!
he need to convert

Dividing by 10 seems to work, but its nor very accurate.....
(1Mb * 1024) = 1024
1024 / 8 = 128ko/s and not 100
2048 / 8= 256ko/s and not 200
4096 / 8= 512ko/s and not 400, 100ko/s of difference...... downloading a big file such a movie (700mb) at 100ko/s take up to 2hour :-P it's worth calculating it ....

but where is the difficult, just mutiplying by 1024 and divide by 8 :-P... one more step but result is better and faster than you think....
1GB is the download cap I think. He wants to know how long he'd have before LFS downloads over 1GB, which would cut him off.
Quote from pom456 :

Dividing by 10 seems to work, but its nor very accurate..... ...

Quote from dadge : ......................this is not exact but it is one of the easiest ways to work it out.

i think icovered that bit. the calculation is not going to be correct until you know how much bandwith 1 car uses (uploaded and downloaded) once you know this, you can multiply it by the ammount if cars on the server. once you have that number ou should then know how much lfs is using (bandwidth)
Personally, I would not recommend playing LFS using a 3GP connection.

However, to answer the original question. This software fits the bill nicely........

http://www.netlimiter.com/featurelist.php

There is a freeware version which monitors all network traffic and the amount used

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG