The online racing simulator
Good budget wheels? (not g25)
The g25 is a bit out of my price range so I'm wondering what alternatives there are. Is MOMO the best bang for your buck?

I'm not hardcore into racing sims (or cars for that matter) I've just been getting into LFS lately and would like a good wheel system to get the most out of the experience.

I'd like something that works well for drifting and won't break down after a couple of years.

I'm not too aware of all the products on the market, all I've really heard of is the g25 and momo. So are there any other good quality products out there in the $100-150 range?
Quote from Crowsnose :The g25 is a bit out of my price range so I'm wondering what alternatives there are. Is MOMO the best bang for your buck?

I'm not hardcore into racing sims (or cars for that matter) I've just been getting into LFS lately and would like a good wheel system to get the most out of the experience.

I'd like something that works well for drifting and won't break down after a couple of years.

I'm not too aware of all the products on the market, all I've really heard of is the g25 and momo. So are there any other good quality products out there in the $100-150 range?

Best bet for your price range would be DF GT. It doesn't have a shifter or the clutch pedal, but is a class ahead of MOMO.
Driving Force Pro is a good wheel. 900 degrees of rotation, lots of buttons, sturdy and responsive. However, it rotates by itself slowly (makes drifting more of a chore) and is loud. It is also pretty resistant to fast and strong steering. You can probably find one for $100 or less (you can get one for $80 if you looked hard). In my opinion, this is the best bang for your buck.

Driving Force GT is an improvement of the Driving Force Pro. Bigger wheel makes it feel better and more realistic. It has a similar but different set of buttons compared to the DFP. The gears inside have changed (maybe the motor too) so the wheel moves faster than the DFP and is quieter (its pretty close to a G25). It is also smoother and less resistant than the DFP. I found one for roughly $110 - $120. This wheel fits your price range nicely and is very good quality. I would take it over the DFP.

The MOMO was good from what I have heard. Only has 270 degrees of rotation and has fewer buttons on it. I don't know much else about it though except that it is really cheap.

A little comparison of the G25, DFP, and DF GT in speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7ggFbKFAs

Notice how the DF GT starts sooner but the G25 catches up to it. It spins nearly as fast as the G25. The DFP takes a while though.
Are those (dfp/dfgt) compatible with PC? From what I've read they're designed for ps2 and ps3. Is there a usb adapter or anything?
Quote from Crowsnose :Are those (dfp/dfgt) compatible with PC? From what I've read they're designed for ps2 and ps3. Is there a usb adapter or anything?

Both are compatible with the PC. All you need to do is find the Wingman Drivers here: http://www.wingmanteam.com/lat ... ware/latest_soft_main.htm

After getting them installed, just plug the USB cable right into the computer and proceed calibrating. After that you can set your wheel up (nice guide here) : http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/W ... tting_up_a_Logitech_Wheel

If you do use the DF GT though, you can't use some of the buttons like the red wheel, horn (probably), and the +/- buttons (probably). I'd still take it because of the points I mentioned above about it vs the DFP but its your choice.
#6 - halo
Also you may check this one.
http://www.product-reviews.net ... -feedback-steering-wheel/
Saitek's new wheel. I have been using older model R440 for three years without a problem. Before R440, I own a Sidewinder & Momo. Momo was quite good but saitek is nothing less. Especially unique design of pedals. No chance to slip away.
i've found the R660 for just under £40

my question is, would it work well on GT4 & GT5 prologue on the ps3 aswell as it works on the pc for LFS?

i'd love to get the DF GT but its damn pricey, around £100
The 180 degree max rotation of the r660 is kind of a turnoff.

Looking at these options I'm leaning towards a standard DFP. As I said I'm not that hardcore into racing sims and just want to have a basic wheel setup.

And just to confirm, will all models work with PC (with the necessary drivers) or only certain later models?
This one is at a nice price but says nothing about PC compatibility.
http://www.buy.com/retail/prod ... =30787856&dcaid=17902
Trust me, I have one. It works for the PC. All you need are the wingman drivers I posted.
#11 - halo
Quote from super_hoops1967 :
my question is, would it work well on GT4 & GT5 prologue on the ps3 aswell as it works on the pc for LFS?

I have no clue if it works with GT4, 5 & Ps3. I check on its box and its written "Racing wheel for PC". DFP manufactured for PS, but it seems no problem for attaching & using with PC. Maybe its possible to use R660 with PS. But not sure on this.

Well, R660 is like R440, looks nice, better design & bigger wheel radius than its predecessor. And as Crowsnose indicated, it has 180 degree turn capacity, which could be considered as a drawback. And other differences from r440 are, r660 has "immersion FFB" and semi-automatic gear shift lever can be attached on the left or right side.

AFAIK, current good wheel list is something like that; (without counting exotics like Frex wheel, home build stuff etc..)
* g25
*DFP
*Fanatec 911 wheel
*Momo
*Saitek / Logitech f1 etc..
All DFP wheels will work on PC too as said before.

I had one before my G25 ( which is worth to save for imo)

Just dl the logitech profiler.
Hi all

I have just ordered my Driving Force GT. After reading this thread I am hopeful it will be a good option. I will let you guys know my thoughts when it arrives.
Mine showed up a few days ago. Very quiet, much quieter then the G25. The wheel has a good feel to it and the shifter is close enough you barely have to move your hand off the wheel. The speed isn't quite up the the G25 but from what I've seen it's WAY faster then the DFP. The lack of complete driver support is a little sad, but wingman works just fine, it's just missing a few buttons.
Quote from Scatter :Both are compatible with the PC. All you need to do is find the Wingman Drivers here: http://www.wingmanteam.com/lat ... ware/latest_soft_main.htm

Hi all. I'm relatively new to LFS, and driving sims in general. Got my S2 license in August or so...
I have a DFGT wheel, and I must say it's more than enough for an entry-level driver like me. It really rocks!

From your Wingman-Logitech experience, do you think/guess/know for sure that proper DFGT drivers will be released sooner or later ??
How has Wingman Team response been over time ?
Quote from Scatter :Driving Force Pro is a good wheel. 900 degrees of rotation, lots of buttons, sturdy and responsive. However, it rotates by itself slowly (makes drifting more of a chore) and is loud. It is also pretty resistant to fast and strong steering. You can probably find one for $100 or less (you can get one for $80 if you looked hard). In my opinion, this is the best bang for your buck.

Driving Force GT is an improvement of the Driving Force Pro. Bigger wheel makes it feel better and more realistic. It has a similar but different set of buttons compared to the DFP. The gears inside have changed (maybe the motor too) so the wheel moves faster than the DFP and is quieter (its pretty close to a G25). It is also smoother and less resistant than the DFP. I found one for roughly $110 - $120. This wheel fits your price range nicely and is very good quality. I would take it over the DFP.

The MOMO was good from what I have heard. Only has 270 degrees of rotation and has fewer buttons on it. I don't know much else about it though except that it is really cheap.

A little comparison of the G25, DFP, and DF GT in speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH7ggFbKFAs

Notice how the DF GT starts sooner but the G25 catches up to it. It spins nearly as fast as the G25. The DFP takes a while though.

I have owned both the DFP and the DF GT.

DF GT is just awesome for the price. It is a good base to work off of if you want to add custom pedals or a shifter in the future. I have done both in increments.

Great Wheel to get started with.

Jay

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG