The online racing simulator
TouringBubble's Auto-X Layouts
(30 posts, started )
I'm building some auto-x courses to use for training in the off-season, so I figured I'd post them here for everyone to enjoy.

The courses I post here will be based on real auto-x layouts/obstacles and will be for the purpose of skill building and friendly competition.

I've used orange cones and red pointers as the main markers and blue cones for course direction in most areas. Green cones mark the start and red cones mark the end of the course. There are marshalls on course to make sure you don't get out of hand and the route checkers are set open enough to allow for some bumped cones w/o a wrong way penalty.

Just like a real autocross event, this is a low speed, technical challenge. If you get to 3rd gear you're either extremely good or plowing over (or about to plow over) cones. I try to have a mix of obstacles with a decent rhythm and varying speeds. You will brake hard ... you will "toss" the car for oversteer ... you will trail brake ... at least you will if you want to put down a good time.

WALK THE COURSES! Just like a real Autocross event you shouldn't just head out and try to tackle the course at full speed. If you do this you will be disappointed in the results, and ultimately the course. Drive a pass or 2 slowly and navigate through the gates. Use SHIFT+U if needed as the course is obvious from above.

If you have any feedback, please let me know. I'm new at this.

--------

Autocross 01

TOP TIMES:

Driver ................. Car .................. Time

BEERCobra .......... UFR .................. 37.36
TouringBubble ...... FXR .................. 38.30
BEERCobra .......... XRT .................. 42.81
BEERCobra .......... XRG .................. 46.94
TouringBubble ...... XFG .................. 48.40

Screens:

This is my first design of an auto-x course at all as well as my first layout in LFS. I think it's a pretty challenging course with a decent mix of obstacles. This course is very similar to something that would be set up in my region, albeit a little shorter.

The second slalom and the wall are both optional entry. Other than that the layout is pretty straight forward.

--------

Autocross 02

TOP TIMES:

BEERCobra .......... UFR .................. 45.40
Jedi1 .................. FXR .................. 45.85
U4IK ST8 ............ XRT .................. 51.35
TouringBubble ...... UF1 .................. 58.29
BEERCobra .......... XFG .................. 58.51

Screens:

This is my second autocross layout. I hope you like it. It's very similar to the first ... cones only. I'm still trying to stick to the spirit of this ...

The only real confusing part of this layout is the crossover about 40% and 60% in. Just remember to keep left out of the lane change (seen in the second screenshot) and then right after the second chicane after the sweeper ... do it once and you'll have it.

--------

Autocross 03 (Blackwood Car Park)

TOP TIMES:

TouringBubble ...... RB4 .................. 40.67
BEERCobra .......... XFG .................. 40.81

Screens:

I decided to try out a layout at the Blackwood Car Park ... I'm not sure I like it as well. The shape and size are kind of restrictive, so I can see why everyone uses the autocross arena for layouts.

Either way, this is a pretty fun course. The kinked, double lane change (screenshot 02) and the open 90* turn (screenshot 03) are my favorite elements. The final slalom is optional and will catch you off gaurd at the end if you don't pay attention ... Good Luck and I hope you enjoy!
Its too confusing with only cones i think.
Also if you just overpower it you hit a marshall.
Try to using some Barriers too!
I see what you're saying, but again this is for auto-x training. In my region we use only cones so that's what I'm sticking to. Try "walking" the course a couple of times before taking it on.

I haven't went through any of the corners hot enough to bump a marshall yet ... where exactly did you have the issue? I can only guess it was at the chicane before the 2nd slalom. The marshall pointing left?

Thanks for the input.
Yes, True. But in real life visibility is much better. Also Gymkhana is very hard in LFS if you do it on huge scale. Because you cant really see ahead.
But its good to see other people put effort into making AU tracks!
Yeah ... the extra height of the cones doesn't help either. I've got an issue with another layout I'm currently working on where the entry line in to a specific box makes it impossible to see the exit ... the apex cone is exactly in line with the exit. I don't want to modify the gate before it but it looks like I'll have to.

I also posted a suggestion to modify the penalties for cones to mimic the SCCA rules. If you sneeze on a cone in LFS you get +2.00 ... even the pointers.
Try using Bales, And some Adbanners.
Maybe ... I'm trying hard to be 100% true to the sport right now. But, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
#8 - G!NhO
dont use barriers or banners

just use bale
#9 - JEP
Thanks mate, i like that layout. took me some time to get it right, but great!

hmm i remember that layout
is that one of the first LX training layouts for autocross??
Quote from Bass-Driver :hmm i remember that layout
is that one of the first LX training layouts for autocross??

It may be similar, but I built it from scratch.
oh k
hey any chance of making another autox course??? love having something else to play on other than drift layouts haha... the one u posted is quite challenging to navigate but after hitting shift+u i found my way around lol!
Quote from Stature :hey any chance of making another autox course??? love having something else to play on other than drift layouts haha... the one u posted is quite challenging to navigate but after hitting shift+u i found my way around lol!

I've got another finished, just not posted yet. It's got a crossover about 60% through and has been confusing for some drivers. I'll post it though with that note. Glad you like the course. If I get more responses like this I'll keep building them and posting.

And yes, Shift+U can be your friend ... if only I could do that at a real event!
Posted Autocross 02.
Cool thanks for the second layout!!! I'll have to wait till tomorrow to test it out tho~ Oh yeah and do you use RB4? If so what times are you getting in the first layout???
I honestly haven't really dug for serious times on either course. I think my best on the first course is a 48.XX clean and a 47.XX +1 or +2. I don't think it was with the RB4 though ...

I have started using the RB4 becasuse it's the most similar to my actual auto-x car, though a little underpowered. I drive an '06 Evo MR with around 340 hp at the wheels (around to 400 at the crank).

I also run on street tires IRL so I run street tires on the RB4 for similar response. I've also set up the suspension on the RB4 to mimic the Evo ... 290lbF, 330lbR, 26mm sway F and 24mm sway R, -2.5ºF camber and -1.3ºR. Not that i can dial in specifics, but It's close ...

So, I'm not really going for the best possible times from the car, but the best possible times from a car similar to my own.
Quote from Stature :Cool thanks for the second layout!!! I'll have to wait till tomorrow to test it out tho~ Oh yeah and do you use RB4? If so what times are you getting in the first layout???

I made one run last night with the RB4 with Super tires. 47.x +2. I think a low 46 or a 45 is possible with this car and my sub-par driving. My setup could be better as well, but I'm going for something close to my own.

Also, I've added notes for top times on each course. If you want, post your times on the course and I'll update the first post. I'll leave the top time for each car.
Hey TouringBubble,

Just got your layouts tonight and had a few runs on both in the XRT. I had about 15mins on each 1 and really enjoyed them. Well done, they are great!

Very well made and route checkers all the way, which is a must on these type layouts.

My times:

Layout 1: 42.96 (attachment ...XRT_FINISHED_4.spr)

Layout 2: 51.35 (attachment ...XRT_FINISHED_7.spr )

Faster is possible.

Looking forward to your next creations!

And btw, these tracks are nothing like the LX Month/LX training layouts, plus there's alot more cones on these ones and different colors too.
Attached files
ICON KANE_AU1_XRT_FINISHED_4.spr - 51.8 KB - 300 views
ICON KANE_AU1_XRT_FINISHED_7.spr - 65.7 KB - 326 views
with rb4 i can run 47-48s on the first course and 53s on the second... wanna improve!!! oh and the second one is great btw!
I'm happy that you liked the courses. I hope to make more soon.

Times added to first post. U4IK, you're killing me on course 01! I gotta step up my game!
I posted up some times guys ... I need to work on my skills it seems. lol.
Added Autocross 03 @ Blackwood. Enjoy.
Great Courses!!!!
These really capture the feel of SCCA AutoCross. Very creative use of Chicago boxs and some insane offset and widening slaloms. I've been AutoCrossing for about 22 years and these courses nail the feel of the real thing! You guys really want to learn car control that will translate directly from LFS to your real car, this is where you should be.

Thank ye sir!
man this is fun!
first time LFS autocross for me.GREAT layout!

only did the first one as of now. i did have a hard time understanding the cones at first but now i see why they look the way they do.

im trying to run the crap out of the first one before trying the next 2 because i want to train my head to understand the cones so i can run it without having to practice 10x.

on my 12 run (yes i know lol ) on layout #1 i got a 46.94 in the Xrg

EDIT.. i just watched U4IK ST8 replay and i see im not driving the course right...

<-------- NEW GUY NOOB! lol

edit.. ran it the right way now.
Attached files
auto xfg new 4543.spr - 49.5 KB - 297 views

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG