The online racing simulator
Help about a go-Kart setup.
(7 posts, started )
Hi there everyone !

May I require your help about a go-kart setup for the MRT (obviously).

I made one that I find really close to what I remember driving it is like. But since it has been a lot of time, it might be really far from what it is IRL.
I need it to be as close to what real life could be, because in may 2010 I have a team competition with my university. A 24h race on a 1200m track with the best laps around 1:02:16 in the race (with not-pros racers).

As I won't be able to train before september 2009 and since my team will be mainly composed of enthusiasts, but who know very few about racing, racing techniques, pit strategy, (etc), I will use the time span I have left to prepare a training plan for them about the basics of race driving, advanced techniques, and also some training sessions on the track we will compete on.

However, since renting is quite expensive and the sponsors won't be able to pay for a training each week end (and since there are around 35 teams, it might be booked a lot), I have done a 1:1 replica of the layout on LFS, which I would like to couple with something as close to the kart we will race with, so that to give them a sens of the pace, the braking points, the inputs management, etc.

http://www.sodikart.com/fr/kar ... n/sodi-kart-rx7,3,97.html

This is the kart we will race on. It is not a proper race kart, it is more like a "high specced" rent kart with soft slicks.

So this is what I did so far on it :
- Decrease the MRT power down to two times the real power of the car (because the MRT is twice as heavy, so I still get a similar power/weight ratio). The kart is around 15hp
- Have stiff suspension coupled with maximum damping (rebound and compression), to simulate the fact that there is no suspension. It's the closest we can get to a real kart. I bet.
- I have put to ARB at front since the cars don't have any. I put 10 of rear ARB to simulate the fact that the rear end is usually stiffer than the front end. (chassis wise).
- Transmission : all gears to the same ratio, with a locked diff (can't remember exactly the Vmax of the kart, though).
- Tires : low pressure on both ends, not the lowest, but close. R1 in front, R2 in the rear to simulate the fact that you rear can break free if you are too hard on the inputs (steer and gas basically), which I didn't get with R1 tires (even with the maximum pressure). This also allows a more equal heat up between front and rear.
- Wheels : No camber since those karts do not have any. Reduced the caster to maximum (since a kart doesn't have a suspension system, the caster induced by the chassis flex should be less than 1°). No toe as well.
- Brakes : 95% brake bias toward the rear since these karts do not have front brakes.

You'll find attached the setup itself. Please try it and provide any comments that will help me to improve it and make it closer to a RL kart.
I would like to avoid the comments like : the MRT IS NOT A KART, because I know it is not.
I would prefer comments based on experience than on theory, as it would greatly help

I will also attach the two layouts of the track (track and rev) for testing purposes if you want, or simply if you wish to have a kart track for LFS Feel free to take and test

Thanks you everyone, you can't how how appreciated your help is.
Attached files
MRT_kart2.set - 132 B - 948 views
AU1_RKC.lyt - 3.4 KB - 216 views
AU1_RKCrev.lyt - 3.4 KB - 206 views
Haven't tried the set but from your description, maybe set the brakes a little towards the back too? I'm no pro when it comes to karts but from what I heard most karts have brakes at the back only or have the brake balance set towards the back most of the time (maybe the brakes are bigger or something I have no clue)
Quote from evilpimp :Haven't tried the set but from your description, maybe set the brakes a little towards the back too? I'm no pro when it comes to karts but from what I heard most karts have brakes at the back only or have the brake balance set towards the back most of the time (maybe the brakes are bigger or something I have no clue)

Oops sorry for forgetting this write this, yeah, the brake bias is at maximum toward the rear, since those karts do not have front brakes.

Thanks for telling me
nice track, lots of fun. thank you
I raced those karts too 1 time, When i was still rental driving. They got alot of grip and plenty of speed.
It's times like this I should get my kart mod for the MRT working on a latest patch. Really handled different to the MRT and solves all the setup limitations. Alas, no time.
Sir, this is teasing and does not help the OP. Shame on you

(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG