The online racing simulator
Voting to restart/end race
(31 posts, started )
Quote from Zimmi :"No restarts" would be great !!!

C: The vote of the race-leader weights 2 votes

I guess option "C" is the best one...

A weighted system would be better, votes count in descending order: more value to the vote of the leader, then all the others have decreasing value. A system to prevent restarts from people who just entered and think their time is much more valuable then the time of the people who started minutes before them would be appreciated, too.
But in the end I'll have to agree that most of these issues would be useless if people were just a bit more polite. Spending most of my time on demo servers I should say that this is nothing strange, but it happens that some member of some valued team, from time to time, only relies upon technical possibilities of the server: if you can do it, it's nice (or fair) to do it, so why not restart, even when it's unfair to people who are racing? If the vote goes well, it's democracy, man...
Democracy really sucks sometimes, especially when the minorities are not adequately protected.
In sprint races 4 - 5 laps on a medium track (as club, Blackwood) restart should not be allowed. People who chrashed their cars have just a little time, waiting for the next race.

If it`s 10 or more laps on a long track - Then a restart could be considered, once and only once, to give the racers a second possibillity.

Often restarts is being offered by the race leaders, if we are few racers on a track, and someone have missed a corner in the beginning of the race. restarts are seldom on a full server.

But being a simulator, restarts should not happen. EVER !
IMHO, early restarts are a reward for selfish driving.
Quote from Becky Rose :In my ideal world all server would be set to run races at x minute intervals and that's it... Auto-restart every 10 minutes on an 8 minute race and so on, with no voting, thus solving two problems.

I like that idea. A reckless driver would be punished in two ways. Not only is he forced to wait for the next race, he will also receive more criticism from the drivers who were taken out by him.

To cure the impatience of those who have to spectate, there could also be a countdown timer (e.g. "04:35:21 to next race").

Quote :The only time it's worth restarting a race is if a driver was not at their desk and caused a startline pileup

That can be solved by forcing drivers to spectate if they don't push the throttle in the first 2 seconds of the race.
Quote from wsinda :

That can be solved by forcing drivers to spectate if they don't push the throttle in the first 2 seconds of the race.

2 seconds is far to much. If the racer is present, he will touch the pedal just before the lamps turns green.

The solution would be to "spectate" racers which doesn`t touch their pedals 2 seconds before race starts.
When people were playing S1 and heard that S2 would come with car damage they thought that it would solve the T1 carnage. We have the no-restarts option with a timer - it should solve the problem. We have the "no mid-race join" and still we get T1 carnage. Sometimes we even have admins present and still people get their/others' cars upside down...

Only way to stop the T1 carnage is to force people to practise starts (braking points to T1 and alternative lines through it) and learn to see and interpret things happening in front of them.

And one restart per race sounds good to me. Even if get haxored in both starts it's still better than to be haxored 10 times in a row, with restart every time.

I don't agree with the timed race-concept because I'd like to know the exact number of laps beforehand. For longer races (>30min, well not that long ) the timed race works better, but for shorter races I like the laps based option. It's clearer and allows more errors, because if you spin and the leader don't, you have less chance of catching him. Because he can't slow down and try to use some evil tactics to try to let the timer go to zero just before he crosses the line. This is unlikely to happen, though but on some occasions it could make the races more like the final qualify sessions in F1: the leader just tries to finish the race with as little laps as possible.
What about next race starts 1 min after the last race? With no option for restart .

Voting to restart/end race
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG