The online racing simulator
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Well it could have been worse...

I think that would have been better than what the BMW looks like.

The new Ferrari and McLaren should be quite amusing!
jesus, what the heck is that thing? ok i was looking forward to this "new" F1 era, but now i just want to go back to normal......
Well I agree they don't look good, but I am still excited about the increase in mechanical downforce and reduced aero, potentially could really improve the racing. And you can't argue that slicks don't look better than the grooved tires.
Remove all the wings and let them have ground effect - loads of downforce that is not so badly affected by turbulence and the cars wouldn't look ridiculous.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :Remove all the wings and let them have ground effect - loads of downforce that is not so badly affected by turbulence and the cars wouldn't look ridiculous.

I bet they would look even more ridiculous.

And if anyone lost a tiny chunk of bodywork in T1 they'd finish 40 laps down.
Don't forget these are very early designs, probably more to do with wind tunnel calibration, number crunching and simply "seeing what happens" than anything we'll actually see come the season opener.

Yes, they're ugly, but I suspect they'll look a bit better when they've been developed and signed off.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I bet they would look even more ridiculous

theyd probably look somewhere between a early 80s f1 and a group c... at least with the clean bodywork rule
#34 - 5haz
They'd probrably also plough off the road at the sight of any small crest, and the average lap speed for Monaco would be 40mph.

Not such a problem due to the fact Tilkedromes have a complete ban on any interesting elevation chage.

They couldnt just let F1 keep its dignity as it dies could they? They had to mame it first a year before they kill it.
#35 - wien
Good thing they've removed all those ugly winglets spoiling the looks of the cars, eh? That there is just plain funny.

EDIT: What's Loeb doing in the Red Bull BTW? Publicity stunt, or is he considering a change of hardware?
Quote from 5haz :They'd probrably also plough off the road at the sight of any small crest, and the average lap speed for Monaco would be 40mph.

right because le mans and the nordschleife the most famous group c circuits are perfectly flat and free of any undulations
New front wing Honda:
That BMW Sauber is the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life. . .

The Williams one looks pretty good beside that peice of trash...
Quote from evilpimp :That BMW Sauber is the ugliest thing I've ever seen in my life. . .

The Williams one looks pretty good beside that peice of trash...

Williams will go like this....
it just because they haven't make a new design chassis....
you can see that the front wing is wider than the farm....

just like a mouth of duck
I dont keep that much up to date with f1 but i was under the impression that the cars were made for speed and agility. From the sound of some of these posts you would rather them make pretty cars which handle people carriers.
Quote from lil chris :I dont keep that much up to date with f1 but i was under the impression that the cars were made for speed and agility. From the sound of some of these posts you would rather them make pretty cars which handle people carriers.

EVeryone would choose pretty racing over pretty cars but you have to draw the line somewhere. e.g Maggy Thatcher could give mean BJ but you just aint gonna go there!
Quote from robt :Cant remember but i HOPE that the track for wheels has been widened back to pre-98 levels, then the spoiler would fit between the wheels quite nicely.

Nope.
#44 - 5haz
Quote from Shotglass :right because le mans and the nordschleife the most famous group c circuits are perfectly flat and free of any undulations

Yes but Group C cars didnt have side skirts, just about all of them also had wings of some sort, in 1979 Lotus built the Lotus 80 which more or less had no wings at all, just ground effect, and although it was grippy at high speeds, any bump or undulation in the track surface would suddenly destory its grip, it was also extremely sensitive to pitch and it had no grip in slow corners either, and so it was only raced 3 times. In the end they ended up having to put wings on it, defeating the whole object of the car in the first place.
Man, I don't care how they look - so long as they entertain, that's all that counts. In fact, I would prefer uglier cars, if it meant better racing. If I want to look at pretty stuff, I'll watch GT racing.
#47 - Vain
I don't really care about the looks and I've seen more ugly cars in my life (I've been to a french car dealer once, then I went to see tubgirl to see somethig comparatively nice).
What I wonder though is how they manage to get the aero balance right. The rear wing looks like it will require a pretty high angle of attack to provide the amount of downforce the cars need to be balanced. I guess it'll just be more difficult to set up a car in a neutral or understeery way at high speeds for those drivers who prefer it that way.

Vain
is it look like them?

Quote from lil chris :I dont keep that much up to date with f1 but i was under the impression that the cars were made for speed and agility. From the sound of some of these posts you would rather them make pretty cars which handle people carriers.

Actually, they're built to conform to strict technical regulations. Given freedom to do what they want, the result would probably be far more aesthetically pleasing.
The problem (imo) with the way the new cars look at the moment is that they look all out of proportion from front to back, and that's because of the technical regulations. Make the front wing a bit narrower, and the rear a bit wider and these cars would look a lot better, the latter of course making them a great deal quicker. But tech regs are tech regs, too late to change them now.

I do think those huge front wings are a mistake, they look so vulnerable, we are going to see more nose replacements next year than in any previous season, I'm willing to guess. Plus they make the car look odd. With a 2008 spec front wing, the rear wouldn't look quite so narrow. Maybe we'll get used to them, but I'd trade the proper slicks for a return to the "pure" 2008 cars, the likes of which we'll never see in F1 again.

KERS? No thanks. Talk about a gimmick. I'm sure hybrid technology will advance at an incredible rate thanks to F1 using KERS. Or not.
Quote from sinbad :...Make the front wing a bit narrower, and the rear a bit wider and these cars would look a lot better, the latter of course making them a great deal quicker...

Yeah let's do that and err, make it impossible to overtake again. Have people forgotten the whole point of these rule changes already? :rolleyes:

Although we've had an absolute classic F1 year in 2008, most of the passing was done because of the weather mixing things up.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG