The online racing simulator
A lap with the stig
(20 posts, started )
A lap with the stig
Really? 12k?For that price I'd prefer to buy trackday car and race it around tracks for a year myself...

You don't even know which car is going to be used...And it's only for a lap?The stig IS generous indeed!
At least the myth around Stig is working...
See, the thing is - how do you know it's not just some random bozo in a Stig costume? I'd want to see him do some laps before I paid my cash. I know it's for charity, but that's some serious coin for what's going to be around 1.5 minutes (it's unlikely they'll be doing 'Ring laps). So that's £134 per second.

Some people have way too much money.
Quote from Dajmin :Some people have way too much money.

how exactly can you have too much money for charity?
Anyone who can spare £12,000 for a charity donation has too much money (and really should be sharing it with me).
I too think that people really don't get the point of charity auctions like this one. It's not about spending 123 Pounds Sterling per second, it's about donating 12k for a quite good reason. The lap with the stig is a mere gag, pretty much like a T-Shirt with "I donated 12k and all I got was this lousy shirt".

I think it's a good auction.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I think it's a good auction.

I wish they'd just do auctions like this instead of hijacking BBC1 for a whole night to run their shitty telethon every year. It's really not that hilarious to have newsreaders singing cabaret songs in stockings and suspenders, and I think I could probably do without 72 straight hours of it.

If a few children have to die to keep that off the TV, so be it.
I never said it wasn't a good thing. Any donation is a good one, and the more the better. I never said anything negative about the amount of money the charity gets. What I commented on was the amount of money kicking around in the person's account if they can afford that amount of money for this.

Likewise, if the person "donating" the money was really interested in the charity, they would have donated it without needing the incentive. In this case, it's highly unlikely they're thinking about the donation to the charity, but buying a ride with a celebrity (albeit the sort of anonymous one Stiggy is).
Which is fair enough, it benefits the charity either way, but you can't raise them onto some kind of pedestal for being righteous.
Well, the ride with the stig is just a symbol really. The real benefit of donations is that they are tax deductable.

Also, concerning the amount: sure it's huge, but there are people out there who can afford such donations, so why not making them do so?
Quote from ColeusRattus :I think it's a good auction.

I will second that. A very good auction indeed

Quote from Paranoid Android :Really? 12k?For that price I'd prefer to buy trackday car and race it around tracks for a year myself...

You don't even know which car is going to be used...And it's only for a lap?The stig IS generous indeed!

1. Stop whining like you're going to give over 12k to charity or like somebody is cheating you out of your 12k
2. The starting bid was £0.99, so the 12k pricetag is just a sum somebody is prepared to pay, TG didn't ask for 12k as a start
I'd give my other liver for that ride...

But it seems I've already used it
Well someone spent £100,000 on something in the Auction for CIN last week on Wogan's show, and there were 7 (IIRC) >£20,000 bids to drive classic ferraris on Chris Evans' show too.

These people are bloody rich, but at least they're spending their money on something worthwile
If i was a known Brit i would ga around the TG track with him for free!!
last year one of wogans auction items was a private concert at your house / village hall etc by katie mellua and aled jones and it went for

£ 250,000 !!!!
Quote from tinvek :last year one of wogans auction items was a private concert at your house / village hall etc by katie mellua and aled jones and it went for

£ 250,000 !!!!

Bin Jones, keep the girl and a roll of gaffa tape, sorted.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I wish they'd just do auctions like this instead of hijacking BBC1 for a whole night to run their shitty telethon every year. It's really not that hilarious to have newsreaders singing cabaret songs in stockings and suspenders, and I think I could probably do without 72 straight hours of it.

If a few children have to die to keep that off the TV, so be it.

HAHAHA.

Very harsh, but very true.
They should surprise people at the end and make the Stig do 10 laps, but with 10 different people, from the 10 highest bidders. Much more money for the charity and more to watch too.
they should give me a free lap with the stig

A lap with the stig
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG