The online racing simulator
Why do people hate Hamilton so much?
Just an honest question. I know a lot of people don't like him and I just wonder why.

I will admit to being a McLaren fan (more than a Hamilton fan), and yes, I want Hamilton to win the Championship. But I admit that Massa deserves it as well, and I would be happy to see Kubica (not to mention several other drivers) win a championship in the future.

On a side note, I notice a lot of Hamilton-haters seem to be Ferrari fans and I wonder what would happen if Hamilton ever went to Ferrari. Extremely unlikely, but interesting to think about. (Personally, I would still be a McLaren fan)

I'm not trying to start a flame-war or even a debate. I don't want to argue with anyone. I'm just curious.
#2 - aoun
The more threads like this, the more your going to hear the negatives and positives too, about LH.
I hate him, because he thinks he's the best of the best... and he's not.

And because of his ego that comes from that ^^
Quote from chanoman315 :I hate him, because he thinks he's the best of the best... and he's not.

Well, the way I think about it is that the fact that he thinks he's the best is what gives him the confidence to be the best (of this season.)

Honestly, I think its his cockiness/arrogance/ego that people don't like but I think it's part of the sport to believe that you can achieve a lot and no one is going to say he didn't achieve a hell of a lot on getting so close the being WDC in his debut season in F1 and probably getting it this year. The guy has a reason to show off however he does make mistakes. Bad ones and very stupid ones on top of that.

Massa is just an ass. Spinning people around, trying to hide the fact that Kimi let him by by saying that they raced and he passed him just to not get in trouble. I dunno theres just something about him I really don't like. (Ok, now i sound like a major Hatemelol fanboy so time to go into yay kubica mode.)

Kubica is a hero. He's silent but deadly. A bit like my farts. He doesn't put in outstanding performances but he's amazingly consistent and managed to get in 3rd and I bet he'll even get 2nd after brazil.

Alonso deserves a good spot too... The guy can race and can pass and is a challenge for sure...
Quote :Kubica is a hero. He's silent but deadly. A bit like my farts.

Are you implying that he smells unpleasant too?

I really haven't the time to watch F1 anymore but when Jeremy Clarkson was presented an award for his video performances, Hamilton presented it and when he came out, there was a roar of cheers and they kept cheering for him for a long time so I felt that he was capitalizing on his popularity.

He's a talented and fast driver. I'll give him that, but I'm not too sure about his ego.
#6 - samjh
I don't mind Hamilton. What I hate is the media hype, and his apparent belief in his own hype. He should wait until he scores a WDC (hopefully this year) or two before calling his colleagues "monkeys" or equating himself to Senna (even if he does win a WDC, the "monkeys" comment would be way out of line).

Anyway, like it or not, we're going to see and hear more of the guy.
Quote from chanoman315 :I hate him, because he thinks he's the best of the best... and he's not.

I've never heard him claim to be the best. I can see how some people think he is bragging all the time (especially if they are biased against him). To me he just seems confident. I don't think he's trying to sound egotistical. He knows what he is capable of and can be quite straightforward about it.
...I guess he could stand to be a bit more reserved at times, though.

Yes he's made some noob errors, but at least he admits it when he makes mistakes.

Even if you don't like him, I don't understand how people can say he's not especially talented. In his rookie season, he pretty much equaled Alonso in the same car. (Compare this situation with Piquet or Kovalainen.)
I don't really like Alonso or M.Shumacher that much, but I respect them as great drivers.

I think he just needs some mental development and more experience. Most (if not all) of his major mistakes have been judgment errors rather than driving errors.

This post turned out much longer than I anticipated, even after trimming it down. It's late here and I'm tired. Feel free to correct me, as I can't claim to remember everything Lewis has ever done or said.

edit:
Quote :calling his colleagues "monkeys"

I would have to agree that's not a good choice of words to say the least. When did he say that?
What chano said.. I'm bored of writing the same all the time why I hate him.
I still can't understand how dare people mentioning him on the same level as Senna or Schumi. Be WC 7 times, and then we can talk about that.
Doesn't the points standings prove he is the best driver in F1 right now? Thought that was the whole point behind having a points per race?

Maybe other drivers have more talent? I donno, but it takes a talented driver to constantly put themselves into the points regardless of the car.

People don't seem to like him because he's cocky, but show me a good driver that isn't.
He's hated because he's good and he knows it.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I still can't understand how dare people mentioning him on the same level as Senna or Schumi. Be WC 7 times, and then we can talk about that.

Because he's probably the best driver on the grid at the moment. Senna was probably the best on the grid in his day, and Schuey in his day.
LH is a god but everytime ITV interview a driver they always ask about LH its pissing me off let alone the other drivers << only thing that bothers me and its not his fault.
Quote from thread title :Why do people hate Hamilton so much?

Essentially because F1 is so intense that a good percentage of people wait with baited breath for the next interview, press release or casual comment more so than they do for the races. There should be a prattle championship to go along with the drivers' and constructors'.
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :People don't seem to like him because he's cocky, but show me a good driver that isn't.

Vettel. Kubica. Raikkonen. Button. Glock. Sutil. Rosberg. Kovalainen. Bourdais. Webber. Heidfeld. Trulli. Barrichello. Coulthard. Fisichella.

Then, not in the modern era, and entirely from memory. Peterson. Rindt. Patrese. Villeneuve. Pryce. Bellof. Prost. Ascari. Fangio.

You get the Sennas & Schumachers that are cocky, and people either love or hate them (usually the love is a fanboyesque he-can-do-nothing-wrong love, and then claiming people who don't like them are just jealous). Hamilton is in that bracket in terms of attitude. But to be successful you don't have to be like that at all.
I'd say Prost kinda teeter-tottered over L'Abîme du Coq. And I have a feeling that given the chance/attention Rosberg Jr. could do much the same.

Also the list should be a bit shorter as Christopher did say "good driver" after all.
I only included the good drivers. I left out people like Pedro Chaves.
Quote from tristancliffe :Vettel. Kubica. Raikkonen. Button. Glock. Sutil. Rosberg. Kovalainen. Bourdais. Webber. Heidfeld. Trulli. Barrichello. Coulthard. Fisichella.

These drivers have nothing to be cocky about.

Two of the most famous F1 drivers in recent times, are Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher. You can't dispute that, it's a fact. And they won a lot, that's also pure fact. Another pure fact is that most people didn't like the way they acted or drove, thought they were cocky.

"To be successful you don't have to be like that at all" - fair enough, but I reckon to be on top of the legends list, Senna and Schumacher say otherwise.
#17 - 5haz
Because he's needlessly agressive and incredibly frustrating (he throws it away uneccesarily too often).

Then again, nice guys finish last, Schumacher wasn't exactly nice on track to his rivals, but at least he was consistant.

I don't particularly like Hamilton, but I respect his abilities.

I laughed when he said "Yeah, all weekend we have had God on our side as always." after he won in China.

Quote from ultrataco :

Yes he's made some noob errors, but at least he admits it when he makes mistakes.

Did he ever apologise for assramming Raikkonen at the red light in Canada?

He didn't apologise for getting our hopes up last year, and dashing them either.

I'm afraid there are only a very few sucessful nice people, most people are sucessful because they are supremely confident in themselves and simply say F you to anyone who gets in their way.

Adolf Hitler and Chairman Mao were sucessful (at least for a decade or two), but were they nice people?
But they're not top of the legends list.

Besides, I don't think Senna or Schumacher ever referred to the other drivers as monkeys. They were very confident in their own ability, but rarely did that come across with the same irritating cockiness that Hamilton oozes. But then again, Senna and Schumacher had to prove their ability before getting in a top team, and they both managed to win races in way less than the best car. Something Hamilton hasn't done, and I don't think he'd be able to - he makes it look hard enough in the McLaren.
Quote from tristancliffe :But they're not top of the legends list.

You're saying Senna and Schumacher aren't THE Legends of F1?

Quote from tristancliffe :But then again, Senna and Schumacher had to prove their ability before getting in a top team, and they both managed to win races in way less than the best car. Something Hamilton hasn't done, and I don't think he'd be able to - he makes it look hard enough in the McLaren.

2000 - European Formula A - Champion
2000 - Formula A World Cup - Winner
2003 - Formula Renault UK - Champion
2005 - Formula 3 Euroseries - Champion
2006 - GP2 - Champion

How else could he possibly have proven his ability before getting into a team? Fly to the moon using only his arms? FYI, I'm sure you're also aware how evenly matched these series are.

Since, then he came second in his rookie season in F1, and has matched or set the following records:

- Most consecutive podiums from debut race (9)
- Most consecutive podiums for a British driver (9)
- Youngest driver to lead the World Championship (22 years old)
- Most wins in a debut season (4)
- Most pole positions in a debut season (6)
#20 - 5haz
Quote from dawguk :You're saying Senna and Schumacher aren't THE Legends of F1?

2000 - European Formula A - Champion
2000 - Formula A World Cup - Winner
2003 - Formula Renault UK - Champion
2005 - Formula 3 Euroseries - Champion
2006 - GP2 - Champion

How else could he possibly have proven his ability before getting into a team? Fly to the moon using only his arms? FYI, I'm sure you're also aware how evenly matched these series are.

Since, then he came second in his rookie season in F1, and has matched or set the following records:

- Most consecutive podiums from debut race (9)
- Most consecutive podiums for a British driver (9)
- Youngest driver to lead the World Championship (22 years old)
- Most wins in a debut season (4)
- Most pole positions in a debut season (6)

Hes had Mclaren behind him all the way since age 8.
Quote from 5haz :Hes had Mclaren behind him all the way since age 8.

Because hes that good.
Quote from 5haz :Hes had Mclaren behind him all the way since age 8.

What's wrong with that? They didn't make him into a bionic boy did they? No, he's still human. So, I repeat, what's wrong with that?
He was given the best funding possible for all the development series he was in, its simply put.
Quote from Mustafur :He was given the best funding possible for all the development series he was in, its simply put.

Nick Heidfeld was also on the McLaren Mercedes Young Driver Support Programme.
Quote from dawguk :What's wrong with that? They didn't make him into a bionic boy did they? No, he's still human. So, I repeat, what's wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it - but you have to concede it's an obvious advantage. And no, it's not a reason to hate a person. Very few things are and I don't quite see him possessing any of them. And yes, he did earn the McLaren backing by winning karting championships - it's not like they drew his name in a lottery.

Eventually, as I keep saying, it's just the hype that gets to people. I imagine if one of my countrymen was ever to reach his success in F1 we'd be so sick and tired of hearing about him we'd forget what he's successful at - especially considering how improbable that is.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG