The online racing simulator
LFS_ Sunroofs - Real Sunroof
(202 posts, started )
thats why
Quote from chavm481 :can someone make me a xrg w/o the hod (invisible engine cover) the one made earlier was w/o the roof.

Just as I thought, looks bad.
Attached images
no hood01.jpg
Attached files
XRG_NoHood_ALPHA.zip - 193.4 KB - 297 views
Quote from Rappa Z :Bah, how do you do this? So far all my attempts have resulted in a big black spot where I want my beautiful T-Bar roof or I get a message saying I have too many channels.

What program do you use?

When I save in Paint.NET, I make it all one layer, make the see through parts transparent (no colour - checkerboard) and save as dds type.

edit 2-mar-2009: I believe from memory it is type: DXT5 (interpolated alpha)

If in Photoshop I use : 1 layer, normal RGB channels and 1 Alpha channel. All the black areas on the ALPHA channel appear as transparent. Then save it as DDS file type (include alpha channel) then choose in dds options >> DXT5 ARGB style
THE FILENAME MUST END IN ____ALPHA.dds for LFS to use it correctly.

If still no luck, post your skin here (1024x1024 if possible) and I'll have a go at doing it for you. Paint the clear parts some standout colour so I know what to make transparent. The simpler the shape (less curves) the less jaggies you will get.
Attached images
paint-net.JPG
Paint.NET is the easiest to use for this kind of thing from my experience.
would other players see this online
They would not if it was you because you are a demo racer.
Shaun463 -
Being a demo player has nothing to do with this!

haha360 -
LFSWorld cannot share dds files. It only allows upload of JPGs.

No-one else sees the effect UNLESS they download the same pack (dds skin files) into their own ../lfs/dataskins_dds folder. This is explained in the first post in this thread. (page 1)
Well they can not upload either . I did know about what you are saying JJ before the post, I just forgot to put it down !
When I dd exacctly what you say, it tells me "Too many channels to export(5)" even before I can switch the .DDS format.

If you don't mind just get the lime green parts transparent.
Attached images
XRR_Rappa ZALHPA.png
Could you use this technique on the helmet skins.
So the visor isnt black, you could make it look like a face in the helmet perhaps? I don't really know how to do it so wouldn't know if it would work or not but it would look cool if it does work
There is no 3d objects inside the helmet. It would just appear as a hole and you would be able to see right through and out the back of the helmet. I'll try do a preview.

edit: It doesn't do anything cept make the helmet parts shiny black - sorry.
Quote from Rappa Z :When I dd exacctly what you say, it tells me "Too many channels to export(5)" even before I can switch the .DDS format.

Yeh, I got that to just now. I Choose, LAYERS >> Flaten Image, to fix that.

Instead of trying to create a skin from scratch, you should have tried using one of the ones I created, edit them a bit at a time and see if you could manage something. You know the sunroof ones worked, they should have been you're staring point. To get this whole concept to work, I actually started with the DUST/SMOKE texture and slowly learnt how to work with this file format. It took me a couple hours to figure out the file name had to end in __ALPHA.dds

For this skin you wanted, I had to learn how to convert a aliased selection into an anti-aliased selection to make the edges blend to the blue roof. whew

*And like I said, If its not a straight edge you get jaggies. There is no anti-aliased transparency. Unless It's made to 2048x2048, but then the skin ends up being 5mb
Attached images
RappaZ 01 preview.jpg
closeup.jpg
Attached files
XRR_RappaZALPHA.zip - 123.3 KB - 324 views
wow cool (i did like the no hood)
Thanks, It looks perfect!
Well sorry for Bump, but have to say that those sunroofs are a way COOL! , btw is sad that they bug the car shadows, but well it stills cool even like that! .

Have a request: i dont have a clue how to do something like that, i have photoshop cs3 in my PC, but dont know how to use it, so i wanna know if you (JasonJ) can make some kind of Targa Top, Porsche A-like, for XRG and XRT? In advance Thanks, but only do they if you wanna do they.

Adolfo Herrera.
realistic lower sills on a "Mini"
Using the "sunroof" ALPHA channel technique, I managed to shape the lower sills on the UFR to make it look like a MKI/II Mini
Attached images
Mini.jpg
Mini 2.jpg
nice
Targe Fz5 Xrg Xrt
Quote from ADOLF1612 :Well sorry for Bump, but have to say that those sunroofs are a way COOL! , btw is sad that they bug the car shadows, but well it stills cool even like that! .

Have a request: i dont have a clue how to do something like that, i have photoshop cs3 in my PC, but dont know how to use it, so i wanna know if you (JasonJ) can make some kind of Targa Top, Porsche A-like, for XRG and XRT? In advance Thanks, but only do they if you wanna do they.

Adolfo Herrera.

Here is an FZ5 version:

(named FZ5_TargaALPHA.zip - attached)

But I think the rear cover is too short and doesnt line up with B Pillar. So I did another version:

(named FZ5_TargaALPHA longer.zip - attached)

edit:
I then wanted to add a trimming:

(named FZ5_TargaALPHA trimming.zip - attached)

Here is an XRT version:

To make an XRG, copy & rename the file XRT_TargaALPHA.dds to XRG_TargaALPHA.dds

Unfortunately the effect produces side-effects from some angles. The larger the sunroof, the larger the problem.

The skins had to be 2048x2048 so the curves didn't look bad. Unzip these atttachments to your skins_dds folder and choose the skin from the colour setup screen.
Attached images
porshe.jpg
xrt.jpg
side effects.JPG
porsche 2.jpg
porsche prev3.jpg
Attached files
FZ5_TargaALPHA.zip - 1.4 MB - 356 views
XRT_TargaALPHA.zip - 1.2 MB - 407 views
FZ5_TargaALPHA longer.zip - 1.4 MB - 321 views
FZ5_TargaALPHA trimming.zip - 1.4 MB - 355 views
can you upload these on lfs world? ........probably not
As mentioned many times in this thread, only JPG's can be uploaded. You cannot upload dds files. JPG's cannot retain the transparency layer so you have to share them to others manually.
Looks nice, thanks. When i'll finish downloading photoshop, i'll try to make driver without head (invisible helmet) Or somebody, who isn't lazy could make that now
Quote from JasonJ :Here is an FZ5 version:

But I think the rear cover is too short and doesnt line up with B Pillar. So I did another version.
(named FZ5_TargaALPHA longer.zip attached)

Here is an XRT version:

To make an XRG, rename the file XRT_TargaALPHA.dds to XRG_TargaALPHA.dds

Unfortunately the effect produces side-effects from some angles. The large the sunroof, the larger the problem.

The skins had to be 2048x2048 so the curves didn't look bad. Unzip these atttachments to your skins_dds folder and choose the skin from the colour setup screen.

Hey Really THANKS!!! for the Targas , they are cool, that bug doesnt matter, even like that they are very cool, really Thanks men !!!!!!.

Adolfo Herrera.
Quote from KiRmelius :Looks nice, thanks. When i'll finish downloading photoshop, i'll try to make driver without head (invisible helmet) Or somebody, who isn't lazy could make that now

I already tried it, but failed. It doesn't do anything cept make the helmet parts shiny black - sorry. You can actually get the effect you want by renaming the helmet file :

../LFS/data/hmn/helmet.sre
rename it to
../LFS/data/hmn/helmet1.sre

then reload LFS
Attached images
helmet.JPG
Quote from JasonJ :I already tried it, but failed. It doesn't do anything cept make the helmet parts shiny black - sorry. You can actually get the effect you want by renaming the helmet file :

../LFS/data/hmn/helmet.sre
rename it to
../LFS/data/hmn/helmet1.sre

then reload LFS

Now is not longer LFS , is LFsleepyhollow
HAHAHA! Just imagine a floating head racing a car! Then it turns to look at you!

LFS_ Sunroofs - Real Sunroof
(202 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG