The online racing simulator
The way of the road cars
(8 posts, started )
The way of the road cars
Whoa, going from slicks+downforce to road tyres was a lot more difficult to transfer to than I thought! Can someone please guide me the right way to drive these cars!? All I ever end up doing is getting the tail loose into the wall...
#2 - Haze7
Quote from GTR_Yuni :Whoa, going from slicks+downforce to road tyres was a lot more difficult to transfer to than I thought! Can someone please guide me the right way to drive these cars!? All I ever end up doing is getting the tail loose into the wall...

Slow down. Get on a proper grippy setup and drive how the car wants to drive, not how you're used to driving the GTRs, which road car inparticular are you driving?

Oh, and practice practice practice. You'll get it.
#3 - J@tko
In slow, fast out
Decent set helps, the default and race setups are twitchy and sometimes cause teh car to do something unexpected. Here's few other points:

1) the car has about the same amount of grip at all speeds. This means that some of the high speed corners need a lot of finesse to go through to keep the momentum up and the rear from stepping out

2) There is slight delay in all your inputs due to the cars having softer suspension and tires compared to the race cars. Always get off the brakes gradually, this can really help your turn in. If you just lift the brakes you'll get either understeer or snap oversteer which both will make the exit of the corner suffer. Start steering into the corners gradually, make sure the suspension and tires get the fractions of seconds to respond.

3) don't be afraid to throw the car into small slide while going into corners, especially into slow ones. This can shave some speed and will make your nose point out to right direction for the corner exit. And then get gradually back on throttle to keep things expectable and smooth. Don't overdo the sliding though, it will cook your rears really fast. Learning how to drift and how to drive in big slip angless will give you confidence to correct things when they go wrong - and how to do it right. You know you are most probably sliding too much if you need any amount of opposite lock.
i slide the rear wheels a bit lots of time
Whel its just trying to addapt top the car itself I need to perpare myself to for a endurance event with GTR cars going to be hard since im not used to those.

The trick in road cars is to know where the limit is and s go over that perfect grip limit alot even the XFg's are fastets with a setup with is a bit tailhappy on tracks like fernbay and south city
On a road car you have to rely on 2 things to drive it fast :
- Mass transfers
- Optimal Slip angle

Practice your mass transfers, know when yo uget oversteer, understeer, and try to use them to help you drive the car : induce more oversteer when entering, and benefit from the understeer in exits to get proper acceleration.

Optimal Slip angle is the only way to drive a road car fast. While the grip on the slicks is either full or 0 (on or off, which a few border of limits), the border of the grip limit in the road tire is wider and dimmer than for a slick. Which means you can have more grip when you slide a little in a corner. Be careful, I don't mean *drifting*, but sliding, which implies that your 4 tires lose traction at the same time (not at the same moment).

It is easier to slide 3 of your wheels (two rear, and the inside front while the outside front is gripping to still have directionnal power on the steering) to begin with so that you can still go back instantly to a full grip if you don't feel confortable with it. The goal is to make your four wheels slide with the simple equation : front slip angle = rear slip angle. The optimal slip angle depends on many factors, especially whether the corner is tight. It can go from 1-2° in long and high speed corners, and can go up to 12-15° in hairpins.

The basis of this is to help carry the momentum of your car through the corner. This is quite entry-oriented, but it is mandatory on low-powered road cars when they are not powerful enough to have sufficient acceleration on straight.

Also, the slow in = fast out doesn't quite apply here for all of the cars. For some road cars : slow in = slow out (especially for the XFG and XRG), so the more speed you can carry in a corner, the more speed you will have at the exit. For the XRT or the FZ5, it is the opposite, because the turbo or the sufficient power can be a great advantage in the straights, then sacrifying some of the entry speed is mandatory to have a perfect exit line and power (put the pedal down earlier). If you compare the WR hotlaps of FZ5 and XRG, you'll see that the XRG tends to slide and have more speed in entries than the FZ5, which (because of its weight, layout and power) takes corners 5 to 10km/h slower, but benefits from its power in the straights.

So basically, each road car is different, but the slip angle and the mass transfers are mandatory techniques to overcome the small seals that are the lack of downforce and the tires limits
Quote from J@tko :In slow, fast out

Personally I prefer Hard in, slow out... but then again, that just gets the girls screaming for more... your way might be less than effective

The way of the road cars
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG