The online racing simulator
Developers please read..
(25 posts, started )
Developers please read..
Hi, I just bought S2 and ran into a problem. Can you address this issue in a future patch? The gear display with "Real" enabled in the options while driving the XR GTR, is very hidden. Compared to S1 with the XR, I can see the gear display clearly enough. Its not -as- noticeable in the plain XR, but still slightly more hidden than the same in S1. I adjusted every view, angle, and degree setting I could. Any help on fixing this, or is it a common problem? I can still drive by sound, but in critical times in turns or overtaking I need to know what gear I want to get into. Especially frustrating because the 'sweet spot' gears 2 and 3 look the same. I really like the XR GTR the best, but this is becoming somewhat of an issue... Help?
Attached images
S1.jpg
S2.jpg
Yup, it's annoying. For MRT I usually use virtual display, which sucks because it's distracting. Maybe this will be solved when we'll get better race car interiors.
I never look at the gear number on the dash. I either keep a mental note of what gear i am in or i know how many times to down change for a corner. I dont really see why you would look at it in a race. I dont understand what you mean by "in critical times in turns or overtaking I need to know what gear I want to get into". But yes it is rather nicely hidden by the steering wheel and no harm can come from moving it
#4 - nikka
Quote from deggis :Yup, it's annoying. For MRT I usually use virtual display, which sucks because it's distracting.

For MRT I turn off drawing the wheel (options -> view -> draw driver/wheel). Sucks too, but not as much as virtual display
#5 - Lible
Just turn off the wheel! Why do you need 2 wheels. (Or do you only have a keyboard?)
Because its not the same. The wheel does not turn exactly like the wheel in the game. Im all off balance without it. Reguardless that cant be used as an excuse, this is a real issue that needs addressed when it can be...
#7 - ORION
Quote from Lible :Just turn off the wheel! Why do you need 2 wheels. (Or do you only have a keyboard?)

Some people even need to look at the wheel when driving, I remember biggie having that that he needs to get used to not do so (but I guess he is still looking at the virtual wheel instead og his real one )
OCED, that's what the custom view is for.
I usually work on the "out of pits up 4 gears, 1st corner down 2, up 2, down one....blah blah" you dont really need the gear indicator to be that clear
user preference i suppose, not a major problem either way.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Yeah, i used to have that problem. It's a pain alright, i suppose for reasons like that the indicator is handy.
I got the frex adapter for the DFP so i dont get this problem anymore, it's a bit of an expensive (although cool) solution.
-
well for what its worth i think its a great buy
Quote from nikka :For MRT I turn off drawing the wheel (options -> view -> draw driver/wheel). Sucks too, but not as much as virtual display

Good idea... altough I don't drive MRT that much.

Quote from Lible :Just turn off the wheel! Why do you need 2 wheels. (Or do you only have a keyboard?)

Would be interesting to see a statistics wheter people is using virtual wheel w/ hands or not at all. I watch mostly the virtual wheel than my MOMO, of course it's easier (personal preference though?) to watch the virtual wheel because it's on the screen. Eyes need to "travel" shorter distance to see it than checking the real wheel all the time.

And I think the implementation of the driver's hands is great in LFS.
You shouldn't be watching the wheel or looking at the gear indicator (though I understand it for those who get the double shifts and stuff). You should be looking far down the track. I don't have a wheel displayed as it is very distracting. If you are paying attention to how much the virtual wheel is turning, you are pulling your attention away from the track and where you want to go. Learn to look way beyond where you currently are and how much you want to turn, etc, and look far past the turn you are currently in and you will improve drastically. This may be a point that many who say they are "slow" and not improving rapidly are stuck at. Example, Westhill in the FOX, this weekend, in the little chicane (after the blind left corner) I started to direct my site to the tire barrier before I can even see the corner. I can see the top of the tires overtop of the left hander going into this section. I dropped 2 seconds off my time in being able to almost run flat out through there after dropping to fifth and lifting just slightly.

Coming from a motorcycle riding background, I learned early you need to do this and try to bring it into sim racing. It's my number 2 rule (number 1 is do everything possible not to crash any other racer) and it can be quite difficult to remember. Always look past the turn to where you want to go and not where you are going. And definitely don't be looking at the virtual wheel to see how much you are turning it. Turn the wheel off and get use to that, you will get use to that, and your times will thank you for it. Same with the gear display, you may need to know in the case of getting double shifts, but it should be automatic how you downshift for turns after some experience.
mrodgers, I think you mistunderstood. For example if I have virtual wheel and hands on the screen it doesn't mean I watch them all the time.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from Clownpaint :I second the suggestion too, it doesn't happen often but sometimes I stick myself into the wrong gear and look at the dash only to see a wheel and the top of a number I can't make out.

same here, slow corners and you end up in Neutral!
You don't need that number, just listen to the engine.
-
I don't use the gear shift indicator, if you don't know what gear your in your in trouble anyway. As for the wheel I have it set to wheel and no arms, I never realised how much I watched it until I turned it off one day.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Girlfriend: Are you winning?
Me: No but I'm in second and I think I'm gradually catching... AAARGH!

LOL, replace "girlfriend" with "wife" and that happens to me all the time

@deggis, I didn't mean you in particular, but just a general suggestion to all. I don't know how anyone can race without being distracted by the virtual wheel when it's turned on, especially when don't use a DFP so the rotation is different than the controller used. My opinion and suggestion still stands to turn the virtual wheel off to minimize distractions from pulling your eyes away from ahead on the track.
Quote from mrodgers :LOL, replace "girlfriend" with "wife" and that happens to me all the time

@deggis, I didn't mean you in particular, but just a general suggestion to all. I don't know how anyone can race without being distracted by the virtual wheel when it's turned on, especially when don't use a DFP so the rotation is different than the controller used. My opinion and suggestion still stands to turn the virtual wheel off to minimize distractions from pulling your eyes away from ahead on the track.

LOL add Kids to that too. trouble is they don't care if I'm winning. More like when I'm going to the store, or to tell me what the other is doing. or to ask me if they can go to so & so's house......

But I think the wheel is personal preference I'm used to it just being there, I never really look directly at it to notice if it's sync with my controller wheel, but if it's not there, it messes with me. I do look at the gear/speed tach and of course the clock. I use my ear to change the gears and all,
but sometimes there's really not alot to look at. You know - in distant 4th
5th is a lap back same windmill, same tree... may as well see how fast I'm going.
Since I usually listen to online radio, it'd be cool if one the hands would filddle with the "stereo" to change stations instead of having to spectate and minimze. that would be cool.
#20 - Jakg
Quote from mrodgers :LOL, replace "girlfriend" with "wife" and that happens to me all the time

hmmm, i have "Mother" inadvertantly press the caps lock button, and due to the pop-up i get, it gives m 1 fps for 5 seconds! then *she* wil come online...
Quote from thisnameistaken :It bothers me sometimes because I've got a DFP with the most inadequate shift paddles ever designed and the slightest twitch of my fingers will cause a double-shift, so I don't always know when I'm in the right gear.

Conveniently, shifting down one extra gear than I wanted to usually throws me off the track, so that's a pretty good indicator of how many shifts I made, but expecting to be in 3rd and actually being in 2nd is still somehow confusing.

with a dfp theres no real reason why you should have the virtual wheel on though
-
Quote from thisnameistaken :I have the DFP set to 400 degrees, because 720 is just ridiculous. I don't want to sit here flinging my arms around like a nutcase listening to the sound of plastic gears whizzing round at 5000000rpm.

I'd try using the shifter stick, one of the few really bad things I've found with the DFP is the shifter paddles are useless.
Why look at the gears? If the revs are to low round a corner, change down a gear unless you are in 1st which is fairly obvious as the car will have plenty of power in low revs.

Once you know the track you know which gears to be in and what to expect fromt he engine, I don't think about it though, if you do you will lose the car and crash

Like others I use the on screen wheel as a guide to how much to turn etc, as I have a sh!tty driving force wheel which is a bit broke and de calibrates its self and is often off center anyway.
Quote from Breizh :OCED, that's what the custom view is for.

And award for people who dont read the first post all the way before replying goes too...
Quote from Jakg :hmmm, i have "Mother" inadvertantly press the caps lock button, and due to the pop-up i get, it gives m 1 fps for 5 seconds! then *she* wil come online...

My dad comes in and says "what's this do" and he pushes the mouse and I end up F***ing wrecking someone

Developers please read..
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG