The online racing simulator
Testing RAM (physically)
(9 posts, started )
Testing RAM (physically)
Hi.
I have some PC problems and I suspect that one of my RAM chips is corrupt. Can you please recommend a software tool that will test for RAM deffects?

Thank you very very much
Memtest.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Download the free .iso, burn it to a CD (or buy a CD from them if you're inept and rich) and boot from that.

Using a tester that boots from a CD avoids the problem of Windows being resident in the memory you're trying to test.
Vista also has it's memory diagnostic yokey on the boot menu (I think it is. If not, it can definitely be run from the disk), if you do have Vista you could try that. If not, memtest is the best, as Crashgate suggested
Thank you all. I will try the memtest soon...too busy with the school right now.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Vista also has it's memory diagnostic yokey on the boot menu (I think it is. If not, it can definitely be run from the disk), if you do have Vista you could try that. If not, memtest is the best, as Crashgate suggested

Yes this is a very good tool for mem testing, it found errors for me sooner than Memtest x86. Also, If you are running an Intel chip, IntelBurnTest is a great tool for testing ram stability. And it does it very quickly (compared to other instensive testing methods), keep and eye on your temps if your overclocked though.
Prime 95 is a good all round system test as well, it has a specific setting to test RAM also, but never really tried it too much.
Testing RAM (physically)
Stroke it gently.
Hit it with a hammer is a good physical test. Or you could use it (as I do) to poke about inside my keyboad and get the shit out.

It's a broken stick anyway.
Quote from AndroidXP :Stroke it gently.

At least then you could be sure it's fault, on account of ESD

Testing RAM (physically)
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG