The online racing simulator
12 miles to a gallon?
(35 posts, started )
12 miles to a gallon?
Hello people,

Since I'm feeling good today decided to race a wee bit in multiplayer with some people I know from demo.

I drove probably around 5-6 laps in LX6 on my own then raced with TBOs...

LFS world says that I've done around 62 miles today and used up 26ltr of fuel

So basically 12 MPG... considering the fun with LX6. Miles per gallon for XRT would be even higher(since lx6 uses up more I think)?

Is that possible in real life or nop? Seems kinda odd to me since you're thrashing the car so much and it produces nice amount of miles.

:|
Around "The Ring" - I get 6 pmg in my motor..... 2.5 ltr turbo. Daily driving I get around 18mpg.

I dont think 12 mpg is un realistic in the LX6, but it is quite a suprise if your not used to that kind thing.
Quote from Widdowmaker :Around "The Ring" - I get 6 pmg in my motor..... 2.5 ltr turbo. Daily driving I get around 18mpg.

I dont think 12 mpg is un realistic in the LX6, but it is quite a suprise if your not used to that kind thing.

Well I only drove 5-6 laps with lx6

then around 15 in xrt, so the 12mpg goes for xrt or maybe even a wee bit higher.

I'll do same thing tomorrow to get precise numbers.
Try driving the way that you would drive a car normally on the road. There should be a difference then.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Try driving the way that you would drive a car normally on the road. There should be a difference then.

I don't drive yet And also ain't got a wheel with pedals, so I can't be that gentle on throtle.

Anyway I will drive some laps tomorrow and see what I'll get.
-
(wheel4hummer) DELETED by wheel4hummer : nvm
Remember that irl you don't rev to 8000 RPM before shifting gears, and you rarely go over 3000 RPM. That makes all the difference in the world. The sets for LFS cars have short gear ratios so that they rev to the max power as many times as possible, whereas real road cars (not race cars) have gears tuned for good fuel economy, i.e. long gears, low revs. Higher revs = much higher fuel consumption. Try driving around the oval with a set with long gears (lower gear ratios) and keep the tach under 3000 RPM, and you'll see much better fuel economy. I've tried this in cruise servers, I made a set with gears similar to my car's, and I got much better fuel consumption than when I race.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Remember that irl you don't rev to 8000 RPM before shifting gears, and you rarely go over 3000 RPM.

I go to about 3500RPM driving normally. But I have an automatic transmission, so that's probably why. It won't shift into 2nd gear at under 2000RPM anyway. But I understand what you mean.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I go to about 3500RPM driving normally. But I have an automatic transmission, so that's probably why. It won't shift into 2nd gear at under 2000RPM anyway. But I understand what you mean.

I have an automatic transmission too and my gear shifts all depend on how much I press the throttle. I've seen it shift gears at like 1500 RPM when I'm in traffic and barely touching the throttle. But usually I try to drive economically so I force it to shift at 2000 by lifting off a little.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :I have an automatic transmission too and my gear shifts all depend on how much I press the throttle. I've seen it shift gears at like 1500 RPM when I'm in traffic and barely touching the throttle. But usually I try to drive economically so I force it to shift at 2000 by lifting off a little.

Well my car is a cheap POS.
That says alot then!
I'd love to go around the oval but apparently only S2ers have got it!

Thanks for the info, I'll play around with the ratios as well.

My dad shifts at around 3k usually as it's the max turning point
I get about 7mpg from my Golf Mk2 at a trackday. It is thirstier than standard with a low ratio final drive and fruity cams.

My Honda Civic on the other hand 1.5VTEC-E gets an amazing 48mpg on some motorway runs.
Just drove some laps, got 12.12 MPG with XRT on SA4

:o pretty good.
I did some testing the other day, and driving a XFG normally I got 100+mpg
Quote from J@tko :I did some testing the other day, and driving a XFG normally I got 100+mpg

Lol... maybe mistaking converting liters to gallons or something like that.

7 laps in xrt = 21 miles / 1.979 =
10.61 MPG

Quote from Electric Eye :Lol... maybe mistaking converting liters to gallons or something like that.

7 laps in xrt = 21 miles / 1.979 =
10.61 MPG

By normally I mean road normally - not 8k rpm @ shift
Quote from J@tko :By normally I mean road normally - not 8k rpm @ shift

Well I understood that, but 100~ is stil kinda too much
Quote from Electric Eye :Well I understood that, but 100~ is stil kinda too much

It was a bit of an estimation (by saying that XFG has 10 gallon tank), and using LFS's fuel per lap thing.
The FXO seems to run a lot like my Saab, I'm gonna see how the mileage is. My Saab gets really good mileage when I don't beat it, but the moment I do, it drinks fuel more than my mustang.
Quote from Electric Eye :Lol... maybe mistaking converting liters to gallons or something like that.

No I think he's right with his calculations... When driving conservatively trying to save fuel, you can get very good fuel economy in LFS. I found the same thing when I did a test of my own a while back. One area that can be improved, but really, not a high priority!
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Remember that irl you don't rev to 8000 RPM before shifting gears, and you rarely go over 3000 RPM.

Speak for yourself.
Quote from Electric Eye :So basically 12 MPG... considering the fun with LX6. Miles per gallon for XRT would be even higher(since lx6 uses up more I think)?

I remember the XRT doing just over 30 liters / 100 km while in drift mode... I tested it quite some time ago...
I just did some testing/calculation with XRT. Gear ratios were normal (like you would encounter in real life) 5th. 100kmh-2500rpm, 200kmh-5000rpm

First I took it around KY oval. Did 5 laps around it at 90-100kmh. I got ~4l/100km ,MPG: 70(UK/Canada), 59(US)

Then On KY oval again, but at 200kmh constantly (more throttle on the slopes, less on downhill). ~15.5l/100km, MPG: 18.2(UK/Canada), 15.2(US)

And finally, whipping the car around Fern Bay Black (2 laps full throttle, including few burnouts). ~29l/100km, MPG 9.7(UK/Canada), 8.1 (US)

PS: I used this to convert the units into gallons http://www.euronet.nl/users/grantm/frans/fuel.html

There was a chart/pic long time ago where there were most of the cars fuel consumptions. I tried to find it but i failed

PS2: This info might not be 100% correct
Quote from Raas89 :I just did some testing/calculation with XRT. Gear ratios were normal (like you would encounter in real life) 5th. 100kmh-2500rpm, 200kmh-5000rpm

First I took it around KY oval. Did 5 laps around it at 90-100kmh. I got ~4l/100km ,MPG: 70(UK/Canada), 59(US)

Then On KY oval again, but at 200kmh constantly (more throttle on the slopes, less on downhill). ~15.5l/100km, MPG: 18.2(UK/Canada), 15.2(US)

And finally, whipping the car around Fern Bay Black (2 laps full throttle, including few burnouts). ~29l/100km, MPG 9.7(UK/Canada), 8.1 (US)

PS: I used this to convert the units into gallons http://www.euronet.nl/users/grantm/frans/fuel.html

There was a chart/pic long time ago where there were most of the cars fuel consumptions. I tried to find it but i failed

PS2: This info might not be 100% correct

4L/100 km is a strange result. It's what you could get with a modern small car built to save fuel which the XRT is not.

For such a car 10l/100km at 90/100 on a straight would be a minimum! My guess would be at least 15l/100km

12 miles to a gallon?
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG