The online racing simulator
Slow corners in BF1
(17 posts, started )
Slow corners in BF1
I am complete newbie to this game, just bought it earlier in the week. First of all I think it is awesome with my G25 !!!

I have been practising with the BF1 car on the Aston National circuit, and went online yesterday for the first time. My quickest laps are around 1.29 mark, about 6 seconds slower than most other people

I think I am loosing most of the time in the slow corners, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I am very prone to loosing the back end at the slow corner and spinning off.

e.g. at the first sharp left hander at Aston (AS3) I am approaching the corner on the right hand side in 7th. I brake hard (left foot) and quickly shift down to 3rd, slow to speed for corner (right foot off accelerator) and try to turn and hit the apex, then change down to 2nd for the rest of the corner in low revs. If I touch the accelerator at all I loose the back end, if I change down to 1st I always loose it. It just feels like I am going dead slow stop around these corners and can never really hit the line that I want with any sort of confidence and without the confidence to accelerate.

Quote from gaz_az :I am complete newbie to this game, just bought it earlier in the week. First of all I think it is awesome with my G25 !!!

I have been practising with the BF1 car on the Aston National circuit, and went online yesterday for the first time. My quickest laps are around 1.29 mark, about 6 seconds slower than most other people

I think I am loosing most of the time in the slow corners, I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I am very prone to loosing the back end at the slow corner and spinning off.

e.g. at the first sharp left hander at Aston (AS3) I am approaching the corner on the right hand side in 7th. I brake hard (left foot) and quickly shift down to 3rd, slow to speed for corner (right foot off accelerator) and try to turn and hit the apex, then change down to 2nd for the rest of the corner in low revs. If I touch the accelerator at all I loose the back end, if I change down to 1st I always loose it. It just feels like I am going dead slow stop around these corners and can never really hit the line that I want with any sort of confidence and without the confidence to accelerate.

1 week in, it's down to practise mate. the BF1 is not a car I tend to drive, but knowing for myself when I do, it's mainly due to lack of practise that I'm slow.
Keep it in third and gradually bring up the power as you progress through those tight corners. Second gear is insane for the BF1.

That and what Mackie just said.
ok will try third, is that what most of the very quick guys would be using ???
SilverArrows77 - thanks I think it is probably engine braking that is my problem, because I downshift the revs go up and I loose the back end. I will look at that.

Rdcranno - I have found those websites already, and was already using one of the setups. May be they are too advanced for me and I should start with the default ?? what do you think ??
Quote from gaz_az :SilverArrows77 - thanks I think it is probably engine braking that is my problem, because I downshift the revs go up and I loose the back end. I will look at that.

Rdcranno - I have found those websites already, and was already using one of the setups. May be they are too advanced for me and I should start with the default ?? what do you think ??

Default setups, I find, are generally imposible to drive fast with.....not that I can be classed as fast. Word of warning don't try using the WR setups either, these tend to be right on the edge and are geared up for fast times at the expense of stability. I don't know if there is one or not but use an endurance setup, as these tend to be aimed at stabilty and ease of use.
Thats not the problem, nBio is a class example, for me and most people his sets suck because they aren't balanced well and they're built to suit his driving style. Like for instance download one of my setups from setupgrid for FE3/AS3 or BL1 and i doubt you will find them hard to drive, BL1 and FE3 ones are good for WR times the AS3 one is good for 1.22.2x but has too much DF.
Hi there , my team run an as3 bf1 server , drop by for some freindly advice and a quick set , or PM me your email and i will mail you the current team set ( good for mid 1:22's in race)

Just a thought , but is sounds like you are still changing down after turn in ...BF1 demands that you do all your braking and downshifting THEN turn in ..partial throttle ..gun it

Are u using traction control ?

PS i agree 2nd gear corner .... last hairpin 3rd ( banked so faster than u think
i really really REALLY do NOT want to appear as if i am underestimating your abilities but... the sauber really isn't something you can just dive in and drive. try squeezing every second out of the 'slower' winged openwheelers ( fox, etc) first.
I had a similar problem in this car and it's due to the diff setup, at least in my case. The setups I have are designed for maximum speed at the expense of predictability. The diff coast/lock settings are very important to predictable behavior in the BF1. Experiment with more or less diff locking to get the car to do what you want. After you're consistent, you can start tweaking it slightly to get more speed out of it.
BF1 is just as predictable as other cars with the right setup, most people can't deal with massive difference in speed they're used to. Take up stiffler's offer and you will get quite alot from it if he gives you pats old set with the 22 rear wing
#13 - Dac
ive raced the BF1 at AS nat and i was rubbish to start with. just follow this procedure, hit the brakes full on as you pass the shadow that crosses the road, keep full on until you start to hear the wheels skid, at that time start to lift off the brakes completely, this should give you enough speed to COAST into the apex and about half way to the exit point at which time you ease on the throttle.

downshift from 7th to 2nd whilst the car is straight. if you downshift during the corner you will lock the rear wheels and spin off.
Well, short 'how to' about BF1 / Aston National.

Try to exit the last chicane as fast as you can. You want to hit the finishline as fast as possible.

T1 is hard to get perfect, but because of the massive downforce on the BF1, you won't lose much time if you got a little wide or a little too much to the inside. Perfect would be, braking a bit (just tapping the brake), and shift to 5th while you do this. Don't get fully off the throttle. Slowly apply more throttle before you hit the apex. By the time you're at the apex you want to be pretty much on full throttle again. Then let it roll around the outside, for more momentum.

T2, brake a bit before the curbs start, about between the bridge and the curbs. Drive about half on the curbs, appearantly the curbs don't really have less grip. Press full brakes, and get off the brakes smoothly as you get to go slower. Use 2nd gear, don't shift to 2nd to early, but just before the apex. You want to go on the throttle around the apex, gradually apply throttle. Try not the hit the inside curbs, the outside curbs are ok.

T3 is pretty much the same, but try to turn in a little later compared to T1. The apex is not halfway the turn, but a bit afterhalfway. Use 2nd gear again. At the apex you have to get on the throttle again. Don't go too far to the outside, the big bump makes the TC work, and you lose time.

T4, brake at the 100m mark. Brake on the curbs again. Use the camber of the turn to slow down a bit more towards the apex. About on the apex you apply throttle. Don't use the inside curbs and don't go too wide on the exit, because those outside curbs are a bit less cambered. This turn can be done in 2nd or 3rd, depending on the gear settings. For me 2nd is a little faster, but harder to control.

Final chicane, brake before the red/white/blue curbs start, 2 wheels just over the line. Start to turn in a little after the red/white/blue curbs start. Shift to 4th gear. Try to go as much to the inside as possible in the first apex, this will probably result in 2 wheels on the grass, 2 on the curbs. However, if you go too far to the inside, you will lose too much grip and speed. Apply throttle as you approach the first apex. By the time you're passed the apex you have to be on full throttle again, in order to get out of the turn fast. Wait before you aim for the 2nd apex, you don't want to get too much to the inside. Only aim for it when you are with 4 wheels on the ground again. Before you know it you will be passed this apex. Use all the curbs on the last apex and the outside of the turn.

The last turn requires a lot of practise to get fast. This is also were a lot of people crash because they go too wide in the last apex of it. To prevent this, don't enter too fast, drive as straight through it as possible and don't get too much to the inside of the 2nd apex. This will let the car jump too much to the outside.

But to master the BF1, it's smart to start with the FBM/FOX. Then get the FO8 right, since this on is very hard to be fast in. When you get fast in that, try the BF1. Just because it has traction control, doesn't mean you can use digital brake and throttle. I totally agree with george_tsiros here.
#15 - Dac
i remember studying your WR lap at AS nat. pretty awesome driving like.
Try racing BF1 on oval, you shouldnt spin out.
Wow - just back after a few days, and there are loads of replies. You guys are, great !! Thanks for the time spent writing replies. From what I can see I have been turning in and trying to downshift in the corner, but most seem to think I should have slowed and downshifted completely before I turn.

I do think it is also setup dependant. I downloaded a setup for the Blackwod track and found it much easier to control.

All in all I need a LOT more practise, and I take the point of driving the slower cars first. The speed of the BF1 is just so impressive though, I find them very exhilerating to drive.

DoC_uk - I will take you up on your offer for a setup !

Slow corners in BF1
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG