The online racing simulator
AA and AF?
(31 posts, started )
AA and AF?
What is it, and how do i adjust it.. as if im right in saying you can improve the visuals dramatically, i have a radeon 9800 pro
cheers,
#2 - Don
right click on desktop -> properties -> settings -> advanced -> 3D -> Direct3D -> use user settings -> and there you move the 2 sliders to the right (6x and 16x) ...turn on lfs and you will see the difference
its 4x and 16x for me..?
#4 - Don
weird, i have radeon 9800pro also and i have 6x...
thats strange, maybe i need new drivers..? i have no idea about GFX cards if that was a dumb suggestion

Oh sorry its ok i got it
Will my card be unstable? like when i play something else?

what resolution should i use in have a 19" TFT
#7 - Don
where was the problem?

i dunno, i play only LFS and RBR, both with maxed AA and AF settings...in lfs it makes no difference for me in FPS, in rbr a little bit...
Ok, i just clicked custom settings and it had 6x on the bar in there..

Erm, does it matter what resoultion?
#9 - Don
AA and AF works in every resolution upto 1600x1200 on radeon 9800pro (in higher res there is no AA or AF)...
HOLY MASH PATATO BATMAN, it looks so much cleaner and smooth for this a dance is in order :static:
Hehehe, just make sure to use the 5.11 drivers, anything newer is bugged and may transform LFS into single-digit-fps-mode.
Thanks, how do i check what my current drivers are?
?? is that it
Attached images
ss.JPG
Aye, you have the 5.7s.

It might be worth getting the 5.11s, but any newer has issues with LFS.
How do i get 5.11 i feel a bit stupid being really dependant on all your help guys, but im clueless.

Dont you have to delete current drivers before new ones aswell?
Go here
On the left, Windows XP > RADEON > Previous Drivers & Software
There you'll find the link to the 5.11s

You can get the Catalyst Uninstaller from the same page
Ok thanks bean0

Im downloading the 2nd one down on this page https://support.ati.com/ics/su ... knowledge&folderID=27 (1 with catalyst control center) how do i go about removing my old driver before i install this one?

You can get the Catalyst Uninstaller from the same page
looking now
Quote from whitey6272 :what resolution should i use in have a 19" TFT

1280x1024 is the native res. of your TFT, so you should stick to this in my opinion.
AA and AF make such a huge difference. Now i cant play without it
Quote from whitey6272 :how do i go about removing my old driver before i install this one?

IMO uninstalling is only needed when you either downgrade, or switch brands (from ATi to nVidia). I've never uninstalled my drivers when upgrading and I yet have to experience problems with this method.

But it really depends on who you ask. Some people are really paranoid about this and recommend to completely clean your system of any driver trails (like in temporary archives, etc) each time you change them. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned. I mean a million of other users was able to install them, you will be too.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Thanks guys, have new drivers etc and this catalyst control panel is awesome compared to the old 1
#23 - wien
Quote from Don :AA and AF works in every resolution upto 1600x1200 on radeon 9800pro (in higher res there is no AA or AF)...

I know it says that in the Control Panel, but I run LFS @ 1920x1200 with 4xAA and 2xAF on my 9800. Works like a charm. Any more of either, and it's is a no go though. (The 9800XT can probably go even higher. 256MB RAM on those.)
Quote from wien :I know it says that in the Control Panel, but I run LFS @ 1920x1200 with 4xAA and 2xAF on my 9800. Works like a charm. Any more of either, and it's is a no go though. (The 9800XT can probably go even higher. 256MB RAM on those.)

In such high resolution, I would lower the AA setting to 2x and raise the AF setting to at least 8x. I believe that in such high resolution AF tends to be more critical to image quality than AA, since higher resolution round the edges, but don't fix the texture anisotropy problems.
I found that 4xAA by itself made no difference at all, then i turned on 2x AF and it all looked a bit blurry. I have a 6600GT

Can someone do a side by side comparison shot?

AA and AF?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG