Active differentials
(28 posts, started )
OT

there was a company that did an add on ecu to replace the diff control knob on subaru's, it allowed the driver to pre program the front to rear torque split depending on gear selection, wheel speed and throttle position and were working on adding a steering position sensor. without the steering sensor it was litterally a plug in mod using the ecu and abs inputs through loom adaptors and outputting to the socket for the manual control.

when CCC mag (much missed ) tested it, they found that on an average stage a group N model could set faster times than a group A version
does it make sense?
I think you're right in saying "do we want one?"

Main reason is: such a differential will make you faster - granted. BUT - a big but - it will distance the driver somewhat from the feel and his/her dedication on the vehicle physics.

AND it will distance an experienced/skilled setup artist even further from the rest of the pack. So do we really want it? I guess it depends on what the individual driver wants and what the majority is going to favor.

I for one would like play with such a thing, for sure.
But outright competition would sure be a hitting a somewhat impact if going for a change. In what direction the specific results are going to turn out is to be seen.

My guess is that especially on STD and TBO-Class the disadvantage in applyable grip on the rear wheel drive cars might be able to be solved by an active diff. If so this would make me happy in bringing fwd and rwd-cars to a closer match, again.

Cheers
DrBen
Bump...

Torsen/Quaife differentials:

Quote from Bob Smith :Not quite, as torque biasing differentials can have small amounts of pre-load, such as (IIRC) Quaife diffs ant Torsen T2s. Also the way they react to torque is different - a clutch pack will begin to lock up as you apply torque through the diff, even if both wheels still have grip, where as a TBD only locks up when a torque imbalance happens. So TBDs offer less scrubbing, especially during tight cornering, while retaining high locking factors.

In short, need them.

More cars are being released with them stock, making them more common than before. That being said, being able to see performance differences in game. Even though cars in game are not too similar to any newer car: having torsen diffs would really help setup theory IRL in, for example, a Scion FRS (Toyota GT86).

I can't imagine the torque simulations should be that difficult in theory since technically torque distribution between the left and right tires should be exactly inversely proportional (as left-side torque goes up x%, right-side torque goes down x%) and straight line torque should ideally be equal.

I am not inclined to work up any equation, but theoretically it should be really simple. Then again, I may not know what I am talking about.

Active differentials
(28 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG