The online racing simulator
#1 - sam93
Transferring data from my old PC to my new PC
I need to transfer about 20-30GB of Data from my old PC to my new one, what will be the best way of doing this.

I know I can use a crossover cable but I don't really want to go out and buy a ethernet card for my new pc as we dont need one because we have a router etc... so didn't get one with a ethernet card in. I know there are transfer cables but the only one I have seen is at PC World and is about £20 odd and I don't really want to spend any money. So what is the best way to transfer the data over? I was thinking of uses CD-R's but it will take all day.
#2 - Bean0
Put old HDD into new PC.
If you need to use the old PC still, copy files and replace HDD.

Jobsagoodun.
Quote from sam93 :I was thinking of uses CD-R's but it will take all day.

DVDs won't take up as much of your day, if you have a DVD burner . But at the end of the day, the money you'd spend on enough CDs (About 43 CDs, if my calculations are correct) you could just get the cable thing.
#4 - sam93
Quote from JO53PHS :DVDs won't take up as much of your day, if you have a DVD burner . But at the end of the day, the money you'd spend on enough CDs (About 43 CDs, if my calculations are correct) you could just get the cable thing.

Yes but it's not my money, it's my Dad's.
#5 - Jakg
What do you mean it doesn't have an ethernet card? How do you connect to the internet?

If they are both on a network, just share the contents of the C:\ drive and then copy them via the network, job done...
#6 - garph
If your new PC doesn't have an ethernet port then it's shit.

Most (all) new motherboards have onboard LAN, my old, ooold PC needed a network card but all the ones since have had onboard.

...and like Jakg said, how do you connect it to the router
#7 - sam93
Quote from Jakg :What do you mean it doesn't have an ethernet card? How do you connect to the internet?

Using a Wireless adapter or card.

Quote :If your new PC doesn't have an ethernet port then it's shit.

I haven't really had a look at the layout of the back, it must have a onboard ethernet port as it states the speeds of the ethernet on the specs, I know for a fact it doesn't have a ethernet card though because there is only one card in the back and thats the gfx card.
#8 - garph
Quote from sam93 :I haven't really had a look at the layout of the back, it must have a onboard ethernet port as it states the speeds of the ethernet on the specs....

Should really be the first thing to check, the computer and the box/spec list, you're the one there, we can't come look at it for you.
#9 - sam93
Quote from garph :Should really be the first thing to check, the computer and the box/spec list, you're the one there, we can't come look at it for you.

I know what the specs of the PC are, I just know it doesn't have a ethernet card in, didn't say I don't think it has a onboard ethernet port did I.
#10 - CSU1
...for whatever reason his new PC is without an ethernet port, he probably has a usb network card or something.

Sam93, as said above the more simple thing to do without having to set up network shares is to put the old HDD into you're new PC, here is how to set you're old HDD to 'slave' mode meaning Windows will boot off you're new HDD and treat you're old HDD as extra storage

E: 1 more and i hit 3k
I suppose you can take 'slave' mode off of the HDD after I have finished copying the data over right? Because the old PC is still going to be used.
Also I very much doubt my Dad will let me quickly take the HDD out and copy over the data as he gets funny with things like that, always seems to say no even though he doesn't really have a clue about computers.

Edit: I think I will pass on the idea of putting the HDD into my new PC to transfer over the data because I know for a fact my Dad will say no, also wont I need to get a new cable in order to use 'slave' mode?
#12 - CSU1
yep, you can just replace the HDD in the old PC afterwards.

Tell you're Dad if he doesn't let you have the screwdriver you'll never learn.

E;

nope, afaik most IDE cables have two/three extra plugs....just rob the HDD[evil grin]
Before you go doing any of that just have a look to see if it has onbaord LAN, which I'm 99% sure it has, you'll save yourself loads of time and hassle from your Dad.
#14 - Jakg
It connects over wireless, and you have a router - just set up a network-share. Job done.
#15 - CSU1
No!, No! tools. hammers. chaos. getting people into trouble ftw !
Just asked my Dad about the HDD, I said I might do this and as soon as I said it, his reply was no!. He never seems to trust but when something goes wrong with his Laptop or when he has had Desktops and he needs new hardware putting in it he asks me to do it straight away, weird.

When my Dad said no I asked him if he could buy a crossover cable for me and he said yes so I will use one of them instead.
#17 - Migz
Quote from Jakg :It connects over wireless, and you have a router - just set up a network-share. Job done.

Jakg is right, this is what im doing to transfer data from my dads old laptop to my transformer But then again it is slightly easier for me because i can do it via ethernet cable instead of having to set it up wirelessly.

Edit: Oh you've found a solution. Never mind :/
#18 - Jakg
So your going to buy a crossover cable even though the hardware you have (wireless card, router etc) will do the job fine?

*raisedeyebrowsmiley*
#19 - CSU1
i didnt know it was a notebook sorry disregard my advice i think i ing drunk
#20 - Jakg
Quote from CSU1 : i didnt know it was a notebook sorry disregard my advice i think i ing drunk

It's not for a notebook - it's for two desktops.

Migz was referring to transferring files from HIS laptop to his new PC, not the OP.
#21 - CSU1
Quote from Jakg :It's not for a notebook - it's for two desktops.

Migz was referring to transferring files from HIS laptop to his new PC, not the OP.

meh, if twase'nt for my intervention he'd have pussyfooted about asking for the money for the cable...

I got Sam to scare the shite outa him hardeharhar upanddowneyebrowsmiley*
#22 - Jakg
CSU, I thought you'd learnt your lesson about drunk posting before...?
#23 - CSU1
now come on, i'd have thought you know me by now

not, drunk yet, might be later...

Is there a problem?
you could have uploaded it on somewhere like media fire in compressed files.
#25 - CSU1
coulda, shoulda, woulda imo

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG